It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks becomes latest "gun free zone"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) — Starbucks says guns are no longer welcome in its cafes, though it is stopping short of an outright ban on firearms.

The fine line that the retailer is walking to address the concerns of both gun rights and gun control advocates reflects how heated the issue has become, particularly in light of recent mass shootings.

www.sfgate.com...

I put this here, in political madness, because that's what it is. Madness. I was pondering the recent shooting incident the other day and it occurred to me that a shooting takes place in a "gun free" zone and laws are enacted to create more "gun free" zones.
Then more shootings take place, and more laws are passed, and more "gun free" zones are created, which creates an environment where more mass shootings can take place, then more laws can be passed, and more "gun free" zones can be created, where oppourtunities for more mass shootings can take place, subsequently (then) more laws can be enacted. . . . . .

Point 1. Addressing the gun and not mental illness will not solve these incidents.
Point 2. I realize that Starbucks has not made it a ban, but it comes as close as it can.
Point 3. How long will it be before a mentally unstable person shoots up a Starbucks?

Disclosure;
I don't visit Starbucks. 15 dollars for a "mocha-tofu-half cream-latte-swirl-beverage" is not my drink of choice.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight these days, but I see a pattern. "Gun free" zones are the next steps in disarming the population.

As always, comment, ignore, donate to your favourite charity, but please, pleasepleaseplease, don't put your hands too close to the cages where they keep the mods. (They bite)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
AAhhhh thanks for posting S&F.... Another target rich environment for some poor drugged misunderstood dregs of humanity B.G.

I wonder if they (B.G.s) keep a list?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I like it.

Having zones like this is particularly populated places like cafes does make sense. In states with open carry laws you see a gun on a holster and dont really care about it and dont report it to the cops. However, in an area where guns are prohibited, any gun can be called in to the cops because it shouldn't be there like it can on the streets (or indeed, in any place that allows them).

I dont think its going to set a precedent for gun free zones in every shop, but certainly higher than normal risk places, yes, why not!

Guns are banned in schools and university's are they not?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I'm sure they are aware. Mental instability can present itself in a variety of ways. Looking for an oppourtunity to make a name, or create an incident is only a small aspect of the illness.

Thanks for posting!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Biigs
I like it. . . . . .
. . . . . yes, why not!

Guns are banned in schools and university's are they not?

Yes they are. And sadly, that is where mass shootings also take place.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I rarely frequent any business that displays the "No Weapons Allowed" sign. I saw one of those signs at a indoor shooting range taped to the door, with another sign taped right below it that said, "It's a joke! C'mon in!" It didn't last a day because some people only read the first sign and turned around. *insert rolling eyes and a el-oh-el here*

But I'm curious, since it's a request, can I ignore it? I can see a lawsuit eventually for discrimination, similar to the couple that got sued because they wouldn't bake a cake for a gay wedding. There is also another suit against a photographer for refusing to take pictures of a gay wedding.

After all, carrying a weapon is a choice and a lifestyle. Starbucks is HUGE, I'm sure they can afford a class action suit against them! *insert el-oh-el here*
edit on 18-9-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well that is the beginning of the end
for Starbucks.

All tides have their Ebb.

If you can't sit down at Starbucks with a loaded belt and grenade launcher
contemplating collateral damage while you wait for some idiot to
dial up a Tall Latte....

What on earth is the world coming to?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by beezzer

. . . . .

But I'm curious, since it's a request, can I ignore it? I can see a lawsuit eventually for discrimination, similar to the couple that got sued because they wouldn't bake a cake for a gay wedding. There is also another suit against a photographer for refusing to take pictures of a gay wedding.

. . . . . .

Excellent point! I had not considered that. I'd be curious to see if anyone does challenge this. Something to watch.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

beezzer

Point 3. How long will it be before a mentally unstable person shoots up a Starbucks?

When I read your title this is the first thing I thought.

Well ...
Actually, I thought Starbucks just made themselves a target.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Wildmanimal
reply to post by beezzer

for Starbucks.

dial up a Tall Latte....

I usually keep the grenade launcher in the car. Something for the kids to play with because I keep the windows rolled up.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Tazkven

beezzer

. . . . .

Well ...
Actually, I thought Starbucks just made themselves a target.

Same here.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Wildmanimal
reply to post by beezzer

for Starbucks.

dial up a Tall Latte....

I've contemplated injuring people before at coffeehouses as they ordered their oh so special drink, replete with all the um's and uh's.

If you don't know what you want before you enter, don't get in line!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Its Private property right?

If so starbucks should have the freedom to set conditions on entry as its there land.

Dont like those conditions? Well dont drink there Im sure they wont miss your bussiness.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
so this ban should also apply to to the boys in blue should it not? they could place the fire arms bin next to the umbrella bin.....

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

crazyewok

If so starbucks should have the freedom to set conditions on entry as its there land.

Absolutely!

Dont like those conditions? Well dont drink there Im sure they wont miss your bussiness.

I don't and I'm sure they don't miss me.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
so this ban should also apply to to the boys in blue should it not? they could place the fire arms bin next to the umbrella bin.....

Good point.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Sheesh, it's the right of the owners to decide what they allow on their premises, frankly if I owned a coffee shop in America I think I would do the same. Im surprised there is not more of this.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

As of now it is a request and you can ignore it. Seems Starbucks is trying to split the baby here and appease both sides while not changing anything at all.

The hoplophobes will call this a victory, the liberty crowd will be ticked off at Starbucks, but in the end you can still walk in with a gun on your hip and nothing will be any different for you.

Worst case scenario is some twenty year old manager reminds you of the policy. Just nod and pay for your coffee.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

crazyewok

See my post above about the lawsuits.

I see a similarity here as well. I see your point, but maybe I should force my choice and lifestyle of carrying a weapon into Starbucks on them through the court system because of discrimination.

Hell, the NRA or GOA may even provide the lawyers.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

That is exactly what I would do. But we've all seen stories where the manger thinks they can go beyond the stores rules.

Remember the story about the IHOP manager that kicked four uniformed cops out of the restaurant because they were "carrying"? Because some psychotic customer said they made them nervous.

It'll happen at Starbucks as well. I'd bet money on it.
edit on 18-9-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling...again!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join