Masonic Sign / Notice Board - Scarborough UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I just thought I would share this sign / notice board with you outside a Pub / Hotel in Scarborough in the UK, the name of the building is the Golden Last Residential Hotel.

Masonic Sign / Notice Board

Here is a better view of the sign from a picture I took during a visit there.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

excelents
I just thought I would share this sign / notice board with you outside a Pub / Hotel in Scarborough in the UK, the name of the building is the Golden Last Residential Hotel.

Masonic Sign / Notice Board

Here is a better view of the sign from a picture I took during a visit there.

I dont wanna sound like a dick but whats the point?

Maybe the owner of the pub is a low level proud mason...

Does that make him an evil mason?

Muzz

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ormuz

I have never investigated and noticed it upon my visit, however between the point where I took my picture and the Google Maps link the wording at the top seems to have changed slightly.

Maybe the sign was retrieved from some other location in the past and inherited by the Pub.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by excelents

All I could focus on is the price of the beer!! Wooohoo, cheap booze, that a job perk for todays mason?

Think I found my next career move.

On a serious note, and back to the OP. Maybe the landlord has no clue about the symbols and thier meaning? Most people haven't a clue. Or like previously posted, he might be bottom end Mason or scientologist.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

excelents
reply to post by Ormuz

I have never investigated and noticed it upon my visit, however between the point where I took my picture and the Google Maps link the wording at the top seems to have changed slightly.

Maybe the sign was retrieved from some other location in the past and inherited by the Pub.

I do know this, masons in general are required to hold a belief in a higher being now that can be what ever your into.

So your image describes something about disregarding god and follow the king .. that in it self scream shonky my friend..

Muzz

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ormuz

I am a Mason and was Master of my Lodge in 2010, this of course was one reason I noticed the sign upon my visit, although as mentioned most people may not notice the symbols or meanings.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Is that an upside down British cross? That was what drew my attention.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Lets pick it apart.

1 Peter 2:17

Fear God - Honour The King

The Date of 1688 may refer to the Glorious Revolution

Source : Wikipedia

The Glorious Revolution, also called the Revolution of 1688, was the overthrow of King James II of England (James VII of Scotland and James II of Ireland) by a union of English Parliamentarians with the Dutch stadtholder William III of Orange-Nassau (William of Orange).

William's successful invasion of England with a Dutch fleet and army led to his ascending of the English throne as William III of England jointly with his wife Mary II of England.

Hence the various Flags ?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

So why " were you head of lodge" and not now ?

Muzz

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The building may have Masonic Heritage , as the op is probably aware masonry grew up in inns and pubs.
In fact I was in my local social/snooker club last night and the owner was telling me about how it used to have a lodge room in it, which is now the bar.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

3 Flags and they are the Norwegian flag, Ulster Irish flag (I think) and the Scottish flag.

Symbolism wise :
we have a skull with crossed bones.
the cross sitting in a crown.
a G in a five-pointed star sitting in one column plinth.
An apparent masonic compass & square in the other column plinth.
Pawns on top of each column.
the dates 1688 and 1795 adorning either side of the base of the arch.
All seeing eye upon the keystone sitting in the arch.

Not a clue what it all means, whats the age of the pub?

It could have been built by masons or the local tipple after a meeting, might even be a masonic place of heritage that is linked to the past that collectively made the order stand as it does.

I can't really make heads nor tails with the dates though...

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Loyalist Pub?

The Golden Last

Can't help but notice those cheap, CHEAP prices... That pub must be a hell hole or very popular.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ormuz

Each Office in a Lodge is usually held for a year and then passed on, however there are circumstances that the Master can do two years if none of the other members of the Lodge have any objections.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

The prices have probably increased since I took the picture on 3rd September 2009 and the Google Maps link.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ormuz

So your image describes something about disregarding god and follow the king .. that in it self scream shonky my friend..

It doesn't say disregard God at all. It says 'fear God'. There's a huge difference.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Was the beer good?
I imagine you could get a good history lesson by stopping in and having a pint or two.
Thanks for posting brother.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I never went in I was merely passing but noticed the sign, makes for interesting reading when doing some research though.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Any research where you can have a pint while doing, is good research.
I would have had to stop in to check it out.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Wolvo

All I could focus on is the price of the beer!! Wooohoo, cheap booze, that a job perk for todays mason?

Think I found my next career move.

On a serious note, and back to the OP. Maybe the landlord has no clue about the symbols and thier meaning? Most people haven't a clue. Or like previously posted, he might be bottom end Mason or scientologist.

Indeed you an me and the OP should forget all this and just have a few pints!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Ormuz

excelents
reply to post by Ormuz

masons in general are required to hold a belief in a higher being

Supreme, not higher. [/niggle]

Fitz

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join