It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vulcan Bomber XL391

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I thought it was interesting.

A flying instructor is selling his vintage nuclear bomber through the internet auction site eBay.

The advertisement reads: "Vulcan Bomber XL391 (complete with engines). Your chance to own a piece of aviation history."

But whoever bids should be aware they will have to pick up the aircraft themselves - it weighs 40 tonnes and has a wingspan of 100 feet.

www.sky.com...

Could make a good project?

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This is old news, the aircraft was sold last week on Ebay for around �14,000 to a Pub owner who intends to display it in a field behind his pub. Apparently the aircraft needs a LOT of work, with most of the cockpit in ruins from vandals, and heavy rusting on the undercarraige making it unsafe. I did consider bidding, with a limit of �12,000, but the sheer state of the aircraft makes it next to impossible to restore without a LOT of money and non origional parts.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
This is old news, the aircraft was sold last week on Ebay for around �14,000 to a Pub owner who intends to display it in a field behind his pub. Apparently the aircraft needs a LOT of work, with most of the cockpit in ruins from vandals, and heavy rusting on the undercarraige making it unsafe. I did consider bidding, with a limit of �12,000, but the sheer state of the aircraft makes it next to impossible to restore without a LOT of money and non origional parts.

I seem to recall a few years ago when I was at Donington Circuit UK that there was a Vulcan rotting in the EMA grave yard. This wouldn't have been the same one would it?

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Quinn

I seem to recall a few years ago when I was at Donington Circuit UK that there was a Vulcan rotting in the EMA grave yard. This wouldn't have been the same one would it?

THis one was positioned at Blackpool Airport, and had been ever since it was decomissioned from the RAF and delivered to its first civilian owner. I dont think Donnington is anywhere near Blackpool, is it?
That said, there were, up til 2002, 41 known complete Vulcan examples still in the UK, with restoration to flight status projects on at least 4 of them. We may see a flying Vulcan yet
Now, get a Victor and a Valiant up as well!

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
As long as the Valiant gets new wings!

The only bit of Valiant I have ever seen for real was a complete nose section that used to reside in a field in Firbeck along with a complete Meteor and Hunter, now all sadly removed

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:51 AM
link   
i was annoyed when i didnt get this in my stocking!!! i think a few more are for sale in australlia or new zealand....gimme,gimme,gimme.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
A while back they sold a F-18 on ebay

Crazy...

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
A while back they sold a F-18 on ebay

Crazy...

Yeah but as it was said , it was an ex blue eagle (what ever the americans call thier red arrow equivilant) so it was probably well used.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The Vulcan is an extremely beautiful aircraft. It is a real shame to think they are rusting away in a field, neglected. Too bad there is not some aviation high school where they could be refurbished by students learning the airframe and powerplant trade.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
The Vulcan is an extremely beautiful aircraft. It is a real shame to think they are rusting away in a field, neglected. Too bad there is not some aviation high school where they could be refurbished by students learning the airframe and powerplant trade.

Uhm, there are at least 4 independant projects to get various Vulcans to fly again, with two expecting a first flight within the next 12 months. If you google around, you can find the dates for high speed taxi runs for 2 projects.

And you can always contribute....

new topics

top topics

join