It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow I just realized! "Desire" itself doesn't make people suffer, it's actually...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

winofiend

IandEye
reply to [url= by Drala[/url]

lol....that WAS gentle muchacho. The OP said the Buddha was wrong in the title (which has since been changed). Jesus was wrong. mMoses was wrong. Mohammed was wrong. But not the Buddha.
plus this guy is on a Satanist-Pagan-Pantheist trip (the OPPOSITE of Buddhism) and that aint my path "brother".
edit on 17-9-2013 by IandEye because: (no reason given)

Such struggling from someone who claims to be otherwise influenced.

I guess unless you can instruct others, it means nothing?

perhaps to you, "brother" (who's acting like a "father"). if you want to discuss me, you're too late, but if you want to stick to the thread that's great. The title included "the Buddha was wrong" until the OP changed it- that's is all I have been referring to- not the person, not you, not anybody. just ignorance. how can you deny it if you don't even know what it is?

and the OP- I did present proof that the Buddha was not wrong, that desire and suffering aren't connected in the 4 Noble Truths which are like the 10 Commandments you're probably more familiar with. I wasn't saying you are wrong, but what you said about the Buddha was incorrect and that is evidenced by your removal of such BS from the title. Buddha was not a god- he was a man who cared about real freedom- not what kind of toppings to get on your burger, but freedom from the entire cycle of existence. think about that....

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

mOjOm

arpgme

If you want to have something and you get it, that attainment is just extra because but focusing in this way, you would have already been happy from the feeling of want alone.

Kinda sounds like taking a journey to where you already are.

Why bother confusing it??

Satisfying the Want with Wanting I don't see as a needed step in the equation. It just cancels itself out leaving you with Happiness in your method when you could just leave that out and realize the Happiness was always there and there was no need to look for it in the first place. Just drop the solving for "Want" with itself and you're left with Happiness.

When you no longer want for anything, you will have everything.
edit on 18-9-2013 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

And there you have just so eloquently summarized the Buddha's teaching. I actually enjoyed all your posts in this thread breaking down the syntax and semantics of the OP. I don't know what he/she was trying to convey, in the end, because the use of language made no sense to me.

"When you desire wanting..."

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

But there is no difference in "wanting" and "wanting to have" .
Whenever you want - you want to have.

That desire /want is for the SELF.
That thirst when turned inwards does not cause suffering.
Thinking one is incomplete/lacking something causes suffering .

edit on 21-9-2013 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to [url= by Pinke[/url]

yeah sure desire is an important part of Buddhist practise- one must "desire" enlightenment, right?
the OP still hasn't acknowledged that he was claiming to be wiser than the Buddha. Y'all can kiss his butt and pat him on the back, but there does need to be some level of consequence here.....
last post- I'm tired of seeing this 4-flag thread on pg 1

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Those swamis fire to much rope. Mystics, the mothers of circular reasoning.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

IandEye
the OP still hasn't acknowledged that he was claiming to be wiser than the Buddha.

I'm not claiming to be "wiser" than anyone. I am only giving my perspective no a specific topic and that's it.

IandEye
there does need to be some level of consequence here.....
last post- I'm tired of seeing this 4-flag thread on pg 1

Seems like you have some type of emotional attachment, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to "force consequences" upon others or be "tired/annoyed" about how many flags a thread gets.

reply to post by openlocks

openlocks
I don't know what he/she was trying to convey, in the end, because the use of language made no sense to me.

"When you desire wanting..."

To want desire, is to be ok that desire is there, not trying to rid of it by denying it or be trying to "control" or "get" something so that the desire can go away.

When the desire is there instead of trying to "rid" of it by trying to get something or by trying to deny it, you can just focus on it, sit with it, and allow it to be felt and enjoy the feeling of the desire itself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join