It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,000 tons of polluted Fukushima water dumped in sea after a typhoon raked the facility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I searched a couple of times before I posted this and could not find any thing.

As if it could not get any worse, a typhoon named Man-yi, smashed into Japan on Monday, bringing with it heavy rain and winds, causing some contaminated water to wash into the sea.

The operator of the leaking Fukushima nuclear plant said Tuesday that it dumped more than 1,000 tons of polluted water into the sea after a typhoon raked the facility.

Typhoon Man-yi smashed into Japan on Monday, bringing with it heavy rain that caused flooding in some parts of the country, including the ancient city of Kyoto.

The rain also lashed near the broken plant run by Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO), swamping enclosure walls around clusters of water tanks containing toxic water that was used to cool broken reactors.

Some of the tanks were earlier found to be leaking contaminated water.

www.sbs.com.au...

The utility said about 1,130 tons of water with low levels of radiation -- below the 30 becquerels of strontium per litre safety limit imposed by Japanese authorities -- were released into the ground.

But the company also said at one site where water was found contaminated beyond the safety limit workers could not start the water pump quick enough in the torrential rain, and toxic water had leaked from the enclosure for several minutes.

edit on 17-9-2013 by snarky412 because: spelling....

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Clearly these people can't be trusted with their info....

They have purposely misled and lied to the public from day one, so how much of this is being played down about how much further damage and contamination this storm has caused?

We may never know the truth.
Heck, we may not want to know the truth.

edit on 17-9-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Don't worry, this will be swept under the rug....Nothing to see here people, more of the same, move on....

How every country in the world isn't taking a major part in trying to contain this is absolutely beyond me! Nobody cares about our future, or kids, or grandkids, etc....Money money money money.....Disgusts me to the upmost extent!!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I am a little more concerned about the untold amounts of Fukashima radioactive material which has entered the oceans over the last two years than just 1000 tons from a recent storm..but yes, the tragedy of this isn't lost upon me.
But Not to worry...our government will just raise the safe limits again and wave its magic wand like they did before. POOF! Outta sight...outta mind...here's a lollipop ya lil scamp, now off ya go! Then again, this is exactly the sort of answer the establishment gives us for everything.

-Peace-

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It will take some time before the waters hit Hawaii and the west coast, maybe a year or so or less.
Then when that happens where the food supply is poisoned and you cannot swim the ocean will the US do something...but guess what???? It will be to late!

edit on 17-9-2013 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i mentioned it in my thread about the typhoon but this deserves it's own discussion.

i feel like they used the rain as an excuse to dump more water because they really don't have the means to continue containing as much water as is flowing through the reactors. they almost have no choice and i wish they'd just come out and say "uh.... we're gonna have to dump it. there's no other option".

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

We all know that there is no other Option,
this is the reason why we discussed the Impact of the Tritium
and we came to the Conclusion that the Damage is small/ non-existing
compare to the Risk of a further Storage!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

TEPCO needs to come right out and say "we're going to continue to dump water into the ocean because that's all we can do" as opposed to the claim that they aren't doing it on purpose.... it's just ground water leaking into the ocean and they can't stop it. why don't they just say,,,,, "hey, it's all really no big deal. this won't hurt the ocean or the fish. this won't hurt the drinking water or the soil. relax folks".

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

pasiphae

TEPCO needs to come right out and say "we're going to continue to dump water into the ocean because that's all we can do" as opposed to the claim that they aren't doing it on purpose.... it's just ground water leaking into the ocean and they can't stop it. why don't they just say,,,,, "hey, it's all really no big deal. this won't hurt the ocean or the fish. this won't hurt the drinking water or the soil. relax folks".

I think you misunderstand the Point,
a.) the Groundwater is not the Water in the Tanks
b.) the Groundwater is relative free of Emissions until now
and no one can regulate or stop it until the freezing Wall is constructed
c.) the Water in the Tanks is the Cooling Water
d.) this Water is deadly CONTAMINATED until the point of e.
e.) this highly contaminated Water get cleaned and filtered
until 99% of all Emissions are gone, this happened in the ALP-System
f.) this Rest Product is stored, it is like liquid Tritium
g.) this need to go
h.) from April/ May 2011 no Cooling or other contaminated
Water was and is released

PS: i listed it in this Way because in the morning at 5.30am my Brain
is nearly molten after a busy Night with drunken Russians
and Money hungry Chinese!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Wasnt there something on here about 400 tons of radioactive water leaking into the pacific everyday?
So really this Typhoon only added an extra 3 days worth of radiation, no big deal when you think about.

Edit: yes Im being sarcastic

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

According to this source, it's 300 tons a day, but for all I know TEPCO may be underestimating as usual and it could easily then be 400 tons a day as you suggest,or more. But using the 300 tons figure, that's ballpark 275,000 tons since the disaster. OK so now it's 276,000 tons. From that perspective, another 1000 tons is a drop in the radioactive bucket.

Fukushima leaking radioactive water for ‘2 years, 300 tons flowing into Pacific daily’

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

i do understand your points. my point is that they are actively dumping water that isn't just the ground water. they are dumping water that they can't fit into the containment drums fast enough. some goes in the drums and some goes directly out to sea. some flows straight from ground water that has passed through and then out to sea on its own.

i'm just saying they should admit to all of it and come clean since the radiation doesn't do any harm..... according to them and you.

(i still think this is 10x the complexity and disaster that chernobyl was - and it DID have a major effect on people)

top topics

join