It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff calls off US trip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
In the light of the Edward Snowden allegations of the NSA snooping on every person around the globe. The Brazillian President has decided to cancel her state vist to the U.S until a thorough and rigourous investigation has been carried out.

Now this information has been out there for a while, yet the U.S has decided that Brazil can go to hell and they will carry out their investigation in their own time. They will not be dictated to by one of the most progressive economies in the world. They obviously do not need to cow tow to a jumped up nation who has ideas above their station.

So what they have been tracking all the President's internet searches, so what they have been hacking into the country's OIL company and following exactly what they have been up to. They're the U.S, the World's Police, it's fine, nothing to see here.

In reality, this is a total slap in the face. President Obama must be highly embarrassed by this, if not, then he should be.

This is the official White House comment.

"The president has said that he understands and regrets the concerns [that] disclosures of alleged US intelligence activities have generated in Brazil and made clear that he is committed to working together with President Rousseff and her government in diplomatic channels to move beyond this issue as a source of tension in our bilateral relationship."

NSA = Not Spying Actually!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

What I find funny yet sad is the fact these countries who are acting appalled do the exact same thing.

For a country not to spy on another country in todays day and age is naïve at best. Even friends like to know what the other is thinking on certain issues.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

If Brazil's not doing anything wrong, they have nothing to worry about. That's my philosophy, anyway.

I'm not doing anything wrong, and therefore I don't need my precious Constitutional rights, so neither should anybody else—especially dang furriners....

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I appreciate every nation spies on each other, damn to not understand this would surely mean thou art gullible.

To actually be exposed doing so and demonstrating not one bit of remorse is despicable. Brazil is a soveriegn state and her President should have the right to access the internet without the good ole U.S of A poking their nose in.

How would you feel if you found out the Russians did exactly the same? Undoubtedly they are, but it's not out there like this case. It's been exposed released to the general public.

How would you feel if it was Russia who was exposed as spying on U.S and her citizens?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Cobaltic1978
I appreciate every nation spies on each other, damn to not understand this would surely mean thou art gullible.

To actually be exposed doing so and demonstrating not one bit of remorse is despicable. Brazil is a soveriegn state and her President should have the right to access the internet without the good ole U.S of A poking their nose in.

How would you feel if you found out the Russians did exactly the same? Undoubtedly they are, but it's not out there like this case. It's been exposed released to the general public.

How would you feel if it was Russia who was exposed as spying on U.S and her citizens?

I would feel secure in the fact that all nations spy on each other for various reasons - friends, foes, technology, military, nuclear, etc etc etc.

Spying is a matter of fact, friend and foe alike. The goal is not to get caught obviously... however, for some countries to act in the manner they are is hilarious. In case you forgot Russia did get caught spying on the US, and that occurred while Obama was meeting with Putin in the US.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Okay, so who were Russia caught spying on?

I live in the U.K and it was exposed that during the G8 summit, we spied on everyone except the U.S,it's no surprise.

However, if you were the head of state of some emerging economy and potentially a BIG player on the world stage, wouldn't you request an investigation? And if it was not forthcoming, wouldn't you decide, nah do one?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I was just gonna post something similar when I found your thread so I'll leave this here.

Russia enters the diplomatic conflict between the U.S. and Brazil

The diplomatic and trade relations between the U.S. and Brazil have improved since the inauguration of Dilma in 2011. But the revelation of the NSA eavesdropping that intercepted emails , telephone calls Dilma and their collaborators during the election campaign, and also spied companies where the U.S. government has interests (oil company Petrobras is one of them), inquinou relations and reemerge made ​​the criticism that the U.S. intends to find a way to exploit to their advantage the Brazilian mineral wealth.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Xcathdra

What I find funny yet sad is the fact these countries who are acting appalled do the exact same thing.

For a country not to spy on another country in todays day and age is naïve at best. Even friends like to know what the other is thinking on certain issues.

It's political posturing, and propaganda.

You're entirely correct. Every country which is capable of surveilling their citizens, are doing it to the extent they can allocate the resources, and get away with it.

Basically what has been going on since perhaps 2001, is the world is ganging up on the US to make us all look like the bad guys. They're attempting to win the minds of US citizens, so that we take down our own government from within. That way they don't have to do anything directly. Just influence our perceptions by omitting some info, and propagating other.

In a perfect world, I'd be all for open societies. Unfortunately, there's this thing called human nature, and civilization which is getting in the way. . .

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
it is no shock that "allies" spy on "allies" , or that the mentality it takes to be in any kind of political office comes with a side of paranoia . now i am just waiting for nobama to blame his failed foreign relations policies on whistle blowers . while i doubt the snowden revelations will do any harm to the t.p.t.b's plans , there will continue to be pissing and moaning from most other countries , i have no doubt there will still be closed door meetings that are kept out of sight of us serfs.

top topics

join