It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Health, Your Money, Your LIFE!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I just read an article that made me sad at how wrong the middle/lower class are about food and health. Now granted, yes, Whole Foods can be expensive and unfortunately can also be used as a status symbol. Yes, wealthy Americans who are trying to keep up with the Jones' will indeed shop there even if they don't know why they are doing so, they just know their neighbors do so they need to.

Here's the article I was talking about www.huffingtonpost.com...

I ponder how long it will take people to realize that healthy eating is not a fad or trend, yet should be a way of life. For most people in this country, time is crucial because many people are not healthy. I'm not going to get into it right now all the crap people feed themselves and their children because most on here already know all about that. No, my point here is simply accountability. Accountability for their $$$ and their budget. Eating healthy DOES NOT have to be as expensive as some think. You do not have to shop at Whole foods to do it right. If more people became accountable for how they really spend their $$$ and what they spend it on then I think more people wouldn't mind spending a bit more on good, organic GMO free food.

People have an easy time spending $$$ of cable bills, cell phone bills, entertainment expenses, going out to eat, cigarettes, designer clothes etc you name it. But when they have to think about spending their $$$ of good food then it quickly becomes a non-priority. How much $$$ is spent on prescriptions and doctor bills? Maybe if people would educate themselves on their diets and correlate them with their ailments then they would have an easier time being ok with the $$$ it would cost to eat healthier?

Please, lets not turn this into an argument about how much it costs to feed a family at McDonalds vs. the grocery store and leaving with food for a family of 4, because it gets ridiculous at how far off people's estimates are. It's personal choice, as well as personal conditioning. This country is conditioned right now to not put a priority on health and education. It is everyone's individual choice to do so.

If you love yourself, your family and your children, make changes before it's too late. You or a loved one may suffer from cancer or some other nasty disease that our immune system should be able to take care of just fine but it's integrity is compromised because of what we eat and put into our bodies.

Love and Light

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

| might know? |'d opine You have sank said brad w/nary any effort. |'d go further out on that limb and type that the "average" 'Merican family is 1 medical emergency away from bankruptcy. | have the same federal Insurance they get up on 'The Hill' and | was Rx'ed 7 meds. and since an 'Epiphany' |'m now down to just 2 and even |'m saving $880/month by NOT taking the BigPharmaâ„¢ Poison.. Now imagine someBody (My "other Self") NOT insured or worse WAS insured but because the CEO and Co. are a bunch of asshats they cut this 'Self's' hours.. crappy diet, de-hydrated, no insurance + "gall stones" = "poor house" The complete opposite of what is supposed to happen...

namaste

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
We just got back from the restaurant. My wife and I and my daughter went to have an all you can eat fishfry at a local restaurant. All local Lake Superior fish less than four days old. I had an order of fried whitefish and a second order of trout. The daughter had two orders of salmon, one grilled and one fried. My wife only had one order. That is a healthy meal, and the bill for the three of us was less than forty bucks. I ate a whole fish and so did my daughter.

That is a healthy meal, real fish deepfried is not bad for you. Processed fish, stuff with chemicals on it to retard it's spoiling, is not good for you. Home fries are made from local potatoes, straight from the farmer here. Little antisprouting chemicals are added.

Organic carrots at the store are always on sale to bring them down to the price of commercial ones....they taste more flavorable. Organic celery is just a little more than regular and that tastes better also. Local eggs taste better than big chain eggs, they are fresher and the price is about a buck a dozen more. I don't care if there is no nutrient difference, they just taste better.

Soup bones are cheap, the meaty ones are less than two bucks a lb. Add some veggies and cook for hours and you have a big pot of homemade soup for under ten bucks. Enough to feed a family of six a supper till it comes out of their ears. You cannot get much cheaper than that. Some homemade dumplings on top for that price also.

Eating healthy can be cheap. You do not have to buy everything certified organic. We just got back from the vegetable stand in Ishpeming and got two bags full of good food for twelve bucks. Two types of lettuce, cucumbers, green peppers, brussell sprouts, tomatoes, apples, pears, and some other things. It wasn't more expensive than eating at McDonalds.

People just don't want to spend time cooking, that is the problem. They want to toss something in the Microwave and empty a box on a cookie sheet into the oven. Not many people want to bake bread nowadays, I can see summertime but in the winter our breadmachine helps to heat the house. The recipe I got is easy on the stomach also, it contains some whole grain rye and barley, both of which contain enzymes to help digest starches.

The OP is right, eating good does not have to cost more. We buy grassfed organic beef from someone we have been dealing with for about ten years. It costs about five bucks a lb to buy a quarter. The thing is, I am satisfied eating half of what I usually eat if I eat commercial beef, it has some better chemistry to it. It is like eating venison, you fill up faster because it contains some special proteins that we crave. We want to eat more of commercial beef because until we get what we need we will keep eating.

People just don't understand that a list of vitamins and minerals does not make food. There is chemistry unique to certain muscles in meat. You cannot eat the same muscle over and over. Eggs are cheap and they are good food. They had a bad rap, I think the cereal companies started that fallacy to boost their sales. Bacon is not bad for you if you eat more natural foods most of the time. Keep it reasonable though, a person should not eat more than a pound of bacon at one time.........I can personally tell you that is not good.....well, maybe it was good but I went through a lot of TP.

All I have been trying to say is that eating healthy does not have to be expensive. It is more time consuming but you can train yourself to like cooking. Eating out or eating processed food once in a while won't hurt you. Doing it all the time isn't good.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I like your comment about training yourself to enjoy cooking, this is definitely me. I used to hate cooking and looked forward to expecting others to cook for me. I've lived alone for a few years now so having someone else cook for me was no longer an option. Now that I cook to sustain my health and well being, I have learned to really enjoy it!

The difference in how I feel since changing my diet (3 years ago) is just amazing. Almost all of my health ailments have gone away since I went paleo. Now granted this was very hard, I LOVE CHEESE, call me a cheese whore. Now that I reconditioned myself to no longer eat dairy I barely even miss it anymore. I have zero inflammation, zero back pain (I had chronic sciatic pain, 2 surgeries), sleep better, clearer cognitive thinking etc, etc.

I really wish people would just think outside their tiny boxes, for life doesn't have to be as difficult as it's been getting lately.

I love humanity and all I want is for everyone to be happy, love each other and love life. Enjoy this beautiful world we live in, it's an amazing blessing. Mamacita earth takes care of us and gives us everything we need IF we let her. Take care of yourselves and each other, for when it does hit the fan all we have is each other.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

I love cheese and almost all milk products. They do not like me, I am allergic to the protein in milk. Milk is an antidote for many things though, so I still have it when I feel like having it but try to limit it to once a week.

I enjoy making soups, roasted meat, mashed potatoes and gravies, and pasties the most. Most of the food we eat now is homemade. I research food a lot including the chemical reactions that happen when cooking or mixing foods. I can make excellent tasting food, and choose ingredients that can help to create desired chemistry.

My eyes focus very fast now and my ability to see has greatly improved. My wife's vision has also improved but she is still craving certain foods that interfere with the ability of the eye muscles to work properly. her prescription for her glasses improved a whole number the last time she went in.

Making something interesting is not hard. People suffer through their work when they should make it satisfying, it does not have to be boring. We need to have a good attitude about everything then we stay half way healthy, negativity effects our ability to heal right, it effects the ability of our mind to communicate with our cells. But coffee helps

I do understand the food chemistry pretty well that can stop depression. Most people don't need pills, I researched the pills to find what makes them tick. They treat the symptoms, they do not fix the problem. Fixing the problem takes only minor diet changes for most people. It requires not eating much of the prepared foods though. It also means identifying foods you have an intollerance to, which isn't that hard.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I am believe your purpose, even I have seen from my eyes folks pay their cash shopping for overpriced issue likable, cloth, watches, different electronic item what makes them to assume that's trend they need to follow all this things.

__________________________________________________________________________________
edit on 15/10/13 by JAK because: Please see Terms And Conditions Of Use 15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation.

top topics

join