It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Disabled Veteran kicked off U.S. Airways flight

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Disabled vet or not........I'd have thrown him off the plane no matter where he had his dog!

The steward appeared to be talking to him in a reasonable manner, what right did he have for the foul language and abusive and confrontational manner?

Some people have a knack of becoming professional victims!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

PsykoOps

Parents are allowed to hold their children unbuckled in their lap for take off so why shouldn't this man be allowed to hold on to his working dog for take off?

There are laws in place. If the airline has a policy it wont override the laws. If the airline demands that the dog is on the ground then they need to provide a seat with enough leg room for it.
edit on 17/9/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

Exactly. Being disabled does not mean you are any less of a person.

But according to some, they should just get back in the gutter and accept being treated as a second class citizen.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

So because Zaphod58 supports the use of service animals within the safety requirements of responsible aircraft operation, this means he hates all physically and/or mentally handicapped people, wants them to suffer, and enjoys exclaiming to their faces how less than human they are in his eyes?

I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Also, notice the people the most fired up in this thread have animal pictures as their avatars?

edit on 17-9-2013 by AlliumIslelily because: correction

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Most bulkhead seats are more cramped, but in this case it doesn't matter. That flight is listed as a CRJ-900, the bulkhead on the left is the stairs, on the right is the servicing door, so he couldn't use either side.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Argyll
Disabled vet or not........I'd have thrown him off the plane no matter where he had his dog!

The steward appeared to be talking to him in a reasonable manner, what right did he have for the foul language and abusive and confrontational manner?

Some people have a knack of becoming professional victims!

"Escuse me sir, we don't allow people with long hair on our services."

how do you go about responding in a reasonable manner, when it's a direct insult to you as a person.

and possibly breaking the law.

I forget which country Im talking to sometimes.. where I live, we have laws to protect against this sort of thing. It's acknowledged that every human has inherent rights as a person to be treated with dignity and respect.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AlliumIslelily

If you discriminate, you discriminate.

Where do you draw the line? I don't really care.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UndergroundMilitia

So you're telling me that if you had a service dog, and were going somewhere for the first time, you wouldn't bother to find out the rules for having your dog there?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

k21968
reply to post by Zaphod58

Why could they not have put him in a bulk head seat with more room??? Surely they could have done that or he could have asked. I used to request it all the time when my daughter was a toddler. It was just easier..for everyone. LOL

A: why should anyone opt to be treated with any less respect than any other paying passenger?

B: I'm sure if zaphod were to accompany someone frail onto a passenger service, he'd happily sit on the floor or ask to be moved to an area where he will not be in someones way. Because providing that service is not a necessity at all, merely a comfort, and if you choose to be a part of society that has no time or space for disability, then you're the problem, and you should seek to fix it by removing yourself from that society.

Disabiled people are so god damned selfish.

Get in the back of the bus.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

winofiend

If you discriminate, you discriminate.

Where do you draw the line? I don't really care.

I'm failing to see where safely operating complex machinery is discrimination.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Also, your avatar confused me.

Oo

sneaky devil.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I forget which country Im talking to sometimes.. where I live, we have laws to protect against this sort of thing. It's acknowledged that every human has inherent rights as a person to be treated with dignity and respect.

Quite right!

Show me where the vet treated anyone with "dignity and respect"

maybe, just maybe, he got thrown of the plane because he was an abusive, and I'm using his words here, "ass hole"

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Yes he did, at the ignorance of your responses. Just because you have a service dog, you don't have the right to do anything you want. ANY passenger, disabled or not, that refuses to listen to flight crew instructions is subject to removal from that flight. ANY passenger. The simple fact of the matter is that he refused to listen to flight crew instructions, therefore he was removed from the flight.

It wouldn't have made a difference if he didn't need the dog. He refused to obey the flight crew. He was not discriminated against, he was allowed to board the plane with his dog. He became a story when he refused to listen. Disabled doesn't mean no rules, and he was accommodated up until he refused to listen, at which point like any other passenger he was removed.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

So according to those individuals, if anybody came to you with a soft sound telling you that you are a second class citizen because you are disabled and having a dog is lunacy, then it would not be okay to reply with an A-hole still as it would be considered very offensive to reply back against an insult you just received. I am speechless

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Oh right, because he's disabled no rules apply to him.

What discrimination? If he wasn't disabled and was removed from the flight for not listening to the flight crew would you even notice? Of course not. But remove a disabled person for the same reason and you're ready to crucify people.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I think Zapho is a spokesperson for the airline; let's give him the benefit of the doubt on everything he says.
edit on 17-9-2013 by BristolStew because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

BristolStew

So according to those individuals, if anybody came to you with a soft sound telling you that you are a second class citizen because you are disabled and having a dog is lunacy, then it would not be okay to reply with an A-hole still as it would be considered very offensive to reply back against an insult you just received. I am speechless

Where is this "second class citizen" thing coming from? Holy crap, apparently this is the way to get away with stuff. Just smash your legs with cinder blocks, hop in a wheelchair and go on a shooting rampage. Don't worry, you won't be arrested because that would be discriminating against disabled people. It would be treating them as a second class citizen to ask them to stop shooting innocent people because when you're in a wheelchair the law apparently doesn't apply to you anymore.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I would gladly move somewhere less comfortable if someone needed that seat, disabled or not. Just as I have no problem with service dogs on board. My only problem, other than your utterly asinine jumping to conclusions, is that he REFUSED TO LISTEN TO THE CREW.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BristolStew

Where was he told he was a second class citizen?

Where was he told that having a dog was lunacy?

He was told in a reasonable and calm tone where to put his dog.

He didn't want to put it there....he wanted to put it where he wanted to put it.....when told that he couldn't he became abusive and refused .

He got kicked of the flight.......I'm failing to see what the furore is about.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I was once waiting for an elevator for a very, very long time. There was a man in a wheel chair also waiting. I said to my friend, "Geeze, I should have taken the stairs!"

The man in the wheel chair sneered at me, "At least you CAN take the stairs".

I hadn't said anything to him or even acted like I noticed him. I grew up attending a school that had a special needs program. We the students would volunteer time to help them at recess and lunch. I'm not a stranger to disabled people, by a long shot.

In a way though, I can understand his frustration -- and the dude on the plane's frustration as well. We all just want to get through life in a way that is as uncomplicated as possible.

Having said that, however, we ALL need to be nicer to each other. The man in the wheelchair's comment to me was rude and uncalled for. I don't care if he is in a wheelchair or not. The man on the plane's behavior was also unacceptable for an adult.

We're all people -- some of us handicapped, some of us are geniuses...but we're all stuck here together, so we might as well make an effort to get along!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Exactly. I feel the SAME way as Zaph on this one.

It's a safety thing, and it's policy. He's ex-military, and should understand that safety rules/policies are in place for a reason.

I'd be pissed if his dog flew across the cabin, impacted me and made me disabled -- all because he refused to follow the safety protocols everyone else has to.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join