It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collective Twitching

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Howdy folks! Not sure if this is the right forum but I wanted to post an observational experience that happens too often to be coincidence. I live with 4 people and we often have guests over and throughout the years I have noticed something that seems interesting. As somewhat of a hermit type, in company of others I often find myself analyzing nuances that I notice. So time and time again in the stillness of the social setting, most often while watching a movie together, I notice a collective twitch with multiple people that happens simultaneously. Someone will reach to grab something, or scratch, cough, or just twitch, and not just one other person, but I have seen 3 and 4 people "twitch" at the exact same moment. This makes me ponder the aspect of oneness and our interconnectedness. Is this a glitch in the matrix? Is this a sign of a deeper connection amongst us all? I can't accept it as chance, especially since I have seen 4 people do this more than once. I have experienced this with my dog several times also, a simultaneous twitch in the stillness.
I have noticed this with strangers out in public as well, not just with familiar people.

I googled this to add something but have found nothing on the subject. I wanted to ask if any of you have ever noticed/experienced this and what you think about it. If anyone has any sources of info on this please include. Is this synchronistic? Is this indicative of collective consciousness? Does this lend credence to the simulated universe theory? What do you guys think?

Thanks,
spec

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

You are on to something. I have definitely experienced this. I never really knew how to describe it to anyone but some of my friends also have spoken to me about it. It really makes me think that our movements and actions are predetermined!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I can't say I have ever noticed anything like this, but I sure will keep an eye open in the future!

Are we talking literally simultaneous or ya know, Twitcher #2 twitches a few seconds or so after Twitcher #1? Because that could be down to psychology...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rudeboyrave

"Predetermined" eh? Had not considered that, intriguing. Could you expand on that idea? I was hoping I was not alone in this observation. It seems bizarre and yet comforting in a strange way. If it is real, which I am convinced it is, what does it mean?

Thanks for the reply,
spec

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bragi

I am talking about exactly simultaneously, no delays. I once noticed it at a football game with 3 people, none of whom were in the same party. I was thinking more physical , but the thinking, or psychology is an interesting angle. I wonder if some external source causes this? Is it because the parties are usually focused on the same event?

Thanks for the reply,
spec
edit on 17-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The thing is, i have noticed this with people, animals and other things such as noise, events (something falling over) etc.. I would strike it as something similar to when you are dreaming and someone slams a door in the dream which wakes you up and then 1 second later, the noise occurs in real life.

As for the predetermined thing, im not sure where i was going with that... it just seems way too odd when these events happen, sometimes 2, sometimes 3 or 4 "twitches" at once. I cant help but to think that it is set in order or triggered.

[boggle]

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Next try clearing your throat lightly, or sighing softly...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

What do you mean? Have you experienced this? Are you suggesting one may influence a twitch action?
Fascinating...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist

What do you mean? Have you experienced this? Are you suggesting one may influence a twitch action?
Fascinating...

Yeppers! Oooo snuffles are good too! I work in a small office with a small group I noticed this years ago. Scratching is always good one too!

Look up Mirror neurons has to do with our brains wired to do what others are doing subconsciously. Fold your arms, touch your nose all kinds of fun things!

Monkey See Monkey do!

There is even a scene a movie that for the life of me I can't remember!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Mirror Neurons eh? Will dig into and post back on it. Thank you for the input! The fact that animals can be involved is kind of trippy too.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist

Mirror Neurons eh? Will dig into and post back on it. Thank you for the input! The fact that animals can be involved is kind of trippy too.

Yeah I make my dog Yawn all the time, I love to play with his little dog mind. But then I clean up after his poo so who is really playing who here???

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Awesome, I was unaware of this, but it makes total sense. So maybe the twitch is an unconscious mimic as an attempt to learn. Maybe these mirror neurons are responsible for some synchronicity. I find it interesting that this notion represents an effort to mimic for learning, yet can be done consciously. I wondered if there was a collective source of sorts that created the influence, but maybe it is limited to simple action-reaction. It still seems unusual that others react without seeing another do the same. I feel that this may take the idea beyond simple neuron mirroring, and may represent an untapped ability.
More:

We should be studying and developing this somehow. I am still not convinced that this is all that is going on with the collective twitches, because of the ability for it to happen without looking at(seeing) each other but I am glad to have become aware of it.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I think it also has something to do with people not being completely comfortable in a certain social setting, like everybody is watching each other´s subtle body language from the corner of their eyes.

Anyway it made me think of this,

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

Haha
I hear ya and think this occurs too, but imo is a little different than the simultaneous twitching thing.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

It is not only twitches that are a part of collective consciousness. It is a lot more complicated than that. How do you know that you do not get a craving for coffee when your brother is drinking coffee. How do you know that your desire to have a drink is related to the desires of your friends. How many times have you shown up at the same place your friends are at and nobody knew that the others would be there that night. We don't even know it is happening most times. We are very poor at paying attention usually.

It is awareness that made you notice that OP. Your mind is open, it cannot be reclosed.

S&F

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Makes me wonder if a hive like society/mind is one, our true destiny, or two, how we should have developed all along, before the "mine" came into existence. I also wonder if we are moving closer to this or further away from. Personally I think we will move towards it.
I was thinking how flocks of birds and schools of fish simultaneously switch directions as an example of unfettered collectiveness. Is it a significant part of our nature or more of an appendage for past benefits?
Thanks for your reply

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Found a related thread on mirror neurons.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
And more on mirror neurons.
I still feel that the simultaneous twitch is something else, but these neurons may be part of it.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist
reply to post by rickymouse

Makes me wonder if a hive like society/mind is one, our true destiny, or two, how we should have developed all along, before the "mine" came into existence. I also wonder if we are moving closer to this or further away from. Personally I think we will move towards it.
I was thinking how flocks of birds and schools of fish simultaneously switch directions as an example of unfettered collectiveness. Is it a significant part of our nature or more of an appendage for past benefits?
Thanks for your reply

Think Pyramids. There is evidence that the workers built them without being enslaved. Could someone have had the ability to control the masses like a queen bee or ant queen control their colonies? I think that powerful alpha males and females exist in humanity, recruiting others with this ability under them to control masses of people. I don't think that humans have lost this ability, I feel that the ones on top who have this ability are keeping this knowledge from us saying there is no evidence to prove it. Well, they control the acquisition of the evidence, so think about that. They want us to think we have free will when in fact we may not.

Is what I say possible? Of course, many things are possible. Is it probable that a hierarchy exists? Look at society, I am leaning towards it existing myself. Things are messed up now though, the chemicals in the foods are messing with our ability to hear those in charge, we are like a hive with colony collapse disorder. Endocrine disruptors mess with this ability. The government thinks that cigarettes are disrupting it but they are wrong. The problem is in the food. The patriotism of the nation is falling apart, people are only looking out for themselves instead of building solid communities. We need to fix this or this country will be in trouble as will the other countries in the world. So who is behind this? I think the ones who push the chemicals in the foods and water. They are trying to cause chaos so they can profit from it selling medicines. The USA has to deal with this, bees on their own cannot survive, they start to fight for no reason and eventually the hive dies off. The queen holds things together. Remember, the FDA is backing this, so every bit of evidence to what I say will be suppressed.

Quite an imagination I have, don't you agree

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
ha. Connectedness. Its hormones jack.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I was going to throw the mirror neurons on the table- luckily I read the replies and saw it had already been done! (it is not always the case that I read before posting my two cents, admittedly....)

I'm like you, I get into observing the subtle non-verbal, and often subconscious, exchanges going on between people. Watching animals interact, I see the same sorts of patterns, especially in social animals. For that reason I have tended towards thinking of these instinctual reactions as our "social animal within".

Sometimes I get so caught up in observing the interplay going on between myself and another, I can be really clumsy in terms of taught, socially accepted, verbal exchanges. Like forgetting to answer a question they asked because I am distracted watching our bodies do this dance back and forth, that they are not even aware of!

From the time I was little, I repeatedly find myself in conditions in which language is a barrier between myself and those around me, and I developed a focus of depending upon this primordial "universal" communication with others, instead of spoken language.
I find that I can learn extremely well through this process of mimickry- in being exposed to observing someone doing something, I can end up able to do it myself (if I don't think about it or try to analyze ).
For that, I say mirror neurons are awesome!

Although in some other situations, they can be less wonderful, in terms of empathy and emotions, for example.
edit on 18-9-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join