It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OICW vs. 30-40 Year Old Tech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The OICW has only 2 good qualifications= It's 20mm GL. U can clear out 6 rooms b4 reloading, and it's 6x Scope, but that's about it. It's only good in games, like "Delta Force Land Warrior".

The G11 was made 20 to 30 years ago, AND IT'S ALOT BETTER!!!!
Yes, it's hard 2 reload, and has no G11, BUT COME ON!!!
M16 and M4 have the range as the rifle on the OICW, ammo amount, and firing modes.
The OICW's rifle componant is pretty much the G36.

HINT HINT, LEAVE THE 20MM AT HOME, AND JUST TAKE THE G36 RIFLE PART.

Signature: Travel light, but carry a POWERFUL GUN!

[edit on 13-11-2004 by SEAL Trident]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I presume you are referring to the Heckler & Koch G11. It was developed during the early '80s/late '70s, but the idea had been in the air for quite some time. So while the CONCEPT itself is at least 30 years old, the first viable weapon is less than thirty years old. When you say that the OICW performances are more or less those of the nearly-40 years old M16 (longest serving standard rifle in the US history), you are right when you look at the sheet datas. But you should let the grunts in the field pass the final judgement.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Yea, the idea 2 replace the HKG3A3 was in the 1960's. That's was what I meant. I got it mixed up.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
You forget that OICW has built in IR sight, night vision and laser rangefinder. Also it has the ability to kill enemy in threnches or behind the corner. It is also easier to hit an enemy at long ranges, because you don't need direct hit. You can miss him by 2 meters and the explosive will still kill him. In simulated excersises the OICW has already been proven to be 500% more effective than M-16 with scope. They equipped 72 troops with OICW and 72 with M-16 and gues what? 1 dead in OICW team, all 72 dead in oponents team. The only problem with the rifle is weight, it needs to be scaled down.
Why should G-11 be better? In my opinion it has too small caliber (4.7mm). There are problems with 5.56 and you want to go to 4.7?

[edit on 14-11-2004 by longbow]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   
If u put 20mm gl, laser sight, scope and ir scope on m16 it would be even more bulky than m16. But on the other side, OCIW conts few times more than m16.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adam_S
If u put 20mm gl, laser sight, scope and ir scope on m16 it would be even more bulky than m16. But on the other side, OCIW conts few times more than m16.

But not more than M-16 with IR, NV, laser, and 20mm GL.

BTW it looks like that soldiers with OICW will be also able to use the laser to designate targets for air strikes, artilery etc.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
well the G11 is nice and the OICW is interesting although i am edgeing towards the G11 because of the rate of fire and the interesting burst fire system.
mabye combine the 2?
well the UKACR is the G11 but has a diffrent calibre 2.92mm sure its a low calibre but its an improvement.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
That would b intresting devilwasp[and like u know[
], the only things that would b missing would be a foward grip handle and a VISBLE LASER 4 CQB], and longbow, to answer ur queston, the G11 has low recoil, carries more ammo, and the 4.73mm rounds fire at a higher velocity.

[edit on 14-11-2004 by SEAL Trident]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEAL Trident
That would b intresting, and longbow, to answer ur queston, the G11 has low recoil, carries more ammo, and the 4.73mm rounds fire at a higher velocity.

yeah they were working on a PDW version but i think thats where the MP7 came from. although the MP7 is not caseless

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow It is also easier to hit an enemy at long ranges, because you don't need direct hit. You can miss him by 2 meters and the explosive will still kill him.

[edit on 14-11-2004 by longbow]

Theres is another 20mm gun you forgeting the XM-307 20mm airbursting weapon system it's heavy but sure can blow the hell out of stuff!

new topics

top topics

join