It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lower Manhattan Prepares for 2nd Anniversary of Occupy Wall Street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well, wow. Has it been that long? It seems like just months ago for the way that particular experience imprinted on me. I imagine others had similarly strong experiences with or around Occupy for the period it existed as a widely visible protest movement.

LOWER MANHATTAN — Occupy Wall Street, the political movement born in Downtown's Zuccotti Park, will head back to where it all started to commemorate its second anniversary on Tuesday.

I suppose anyone in NYC today that wants to see it can drop by. The story says they have things planned to run to or beyond 10pm.

A three-hour "walking tour" of the Financial District will start at Bowling Green Park at 4 p.m. and last through 7 p.m. The event will be followed by a "cartography party" at 16 Beaver St.

A long march in support of a "Robin Hood Tax" to spread wealth from the financial sector to the "99 percent" is planned from the United Nations building to Zuccotti Park, starting at 5 p.m.
Source

Should be an interesting day. It's odd that I haven't heard more about this in advance though. So much else going on...things like this that I'd consider important get smashed flat by the 'big headliners' across media these days.

It's not like I'm in any position to just head to New York and be there to see it or anything. Not at this point in time. Still, many are much closer and I must have just missed this entirely for mention before now?

Wouldn't it be amusing if an anniversary celebration morphed into a 're-take the park' movement? I wonder how Occupy would look and work now, given the changes in many things over the time since it's peak? (Technology accessible in a mobile form alone would make HUGE differences. LIVE off-site video streaming from hand held devices.....as one BIG thing) Perhaps more yelling and stupid stuff than intelligent and coordinated efforts...as so many of the camps the media ignored entirely in 2011 were working hard to do. Not all, by any means, were combat camps like Oakland or L.A. or...often, Zuccotti Park.

I thought it worth sharing, however someone may feel about the overall movement that simply came to be known as 'Occupy' by many. It was a formative event in millions of lives. 4.2 Million as I recall seeing figures for at the peak, nationwide and worldwide in October-November of 2011.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I can't believe it was that long ago either. I still remember signing a petition to stop the occupy movement being evicted in my local city(Nottingham, England). I spoke to quite a few people that day and it seemed that there were a few unsavoury people tainting the image of what was trying to be achieved.

It's a real shame it didn't gather more steam because it really had potential. Just shows the apathy that is so inherent in the 21st century. I think after the Iraq war protests, most people just gave up...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

But in the other hand people spoke out against the Syrian War. I participated in one

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
So what happened to all the money?? probably people still on the payroll voting themselves raises and bonuses till it's gone

top topics

join