It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health kick 'reverses cell ageing'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
If this proves to be true it would be remarkable. A group of men who changed their diets to vegetarian and did meditation where studied. A change was seen in the end chromosomes, called telomeres. These chromosomes get shorter as we get older and are known to play a role in protecting our DNA from change and in aging.
The study is in its early stages so more research needs to be done before it is verified. But it does appear with the right regime telomeres can lengthen instead of shorten..

Going on a health kick reverses ageing at the cellular level, researchers say.

The University of California team says it has found the first evidence a strict regime of exercise, diet and meditation can have such an effect.

But experts say although the study in Lancet Oncology is intriguing, it is too early to draw any firm conclusions. The study looked at just 35 men with prostate cancer. Those who changed their lifestyle had demonstrably younger cells in genetic terms

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I wonder if this is Cal Worthington and Henry Kissingers secret to longevity.
RIP Cal at 92

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Healthy eating and relaxation makes you healthier, who would have thunk it?

Although having some data of actual changes is cool, I think we can all agree that this knowledge (of good mind-body hygiene and healthy eating creating longer, healthier lives) has been understood for millennia.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I did about five hours of research on this article yesterday. I had researched some of the supplements also. Although this is finally proven it is also important to understand that this knowledge has been around for a little while and the science behind it needs a lot more studying to find side effects of increasing the telomerase enzyme to make this happen. The right foods in proper proportions are essential as is the necessity to include the materials of the end caps in the diet. The materials seem to include elastin binding proteins of a certain kind, specific to the cells of the organ or body part.

Eating a diverse diet including chemistry that includes materials to trigger telomerase production is critical.

The problem it seems is that cancer cells also benefit from increasing telomerase, this is a problem. cell death of mutated cells is crucial. The protective coating that protects our cells also protects cancer cells, and they create more of it than normal cells. This subject is a good subject but jumping at it with supplements can have unknown consequences. I would tend to increase good foods in the diet a bit. It is good to increase elastin binding proteins in the diet, it helps to slow progression of emphysema and deterioration of heart and blood vessels also. Too much is no good though as increasing blood vessel growth also increasees growth into tumors. Eating foods that contain some things that slow blood vessel growth along with this may help to alluviate the problem.

I spent about a hundred hours studying telomeres over the last year. I got interested from a post here on ATS that someone had written and kind of went overboard on researching the subject. This article started me looking at what side effects could come from increasing telomerase in the body. It is not an easy subject, I need another hundred hours of reading articles before I can make an opinion on the matter.

Sorry I can't help anyone with this yet, there are too many variables to give a good opinion on the matter. Like I said, eat real food, make sure you eat a little food that blocks uptake of unknown chemistry in food, like a grapefruit occasionally and make sure to eat foods that have available molybdenum in them. Antinutrients are important to eat but too much weakens our body by throwing off electrolyte balances.

I don't want to get younger anyway, I'd hate to go backwards. It seems like when you get older you mature and get wiser, at least you are supposed to do that. Increasing telomere length also increases the young and dumb syndrome. It seems to make us feel better and we do more risky stuff, stuff that can hurt us. So does it increase our life if it increases risky behavior? This is a catch 22 situation.

S&F

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Love it. There is something to this for certain. Aging of cells can be slowed through meditation and the place it takes you which is not part of time. As for the rotting flesh of meat it takes cells to keep you safe from those affects. For many years, I forgot to age... Once I realized what was going on, I started to age.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes I use to wonder why some of the monks lived to such a long age. It makes more sense now. Meditation and diet..

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I dunno- Kissinger strikes me as a carnivore.

How old IS that dude anyway?

OP, thanks for the link and info. Good info, that!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Born Sept. 22 1923 age 90.
Been involved with U.S. foreign policy since 1956 ( isenhower )
and his name anagrams to King Henrys Sire.
edit on 18-9-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

join