It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to all faiths: What is "fasting" for?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Sure. Fasting was not instituted for God's benefit. It is there for ours. Makes sense that it would be useful for us.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Sahabi
reply to post by veteranhumanbeing

Sahabi
Fasting is not synonymous with starvation or putrefaction. My replies have not propagated such a thing as deprivation or self-inflicted suffering. Neither have I endorsed any type of prolonged withholding from sustenance.

Hunger is one of the many sensory perceptions that we are intrinsically bound to. There is no wisdom in vilifying or demonizing hunger or eating. Simply, we choose how and when to eat,... instead of blindly being enalaved to hunger. Through short-intervals of fasting, we overcome one desire of many, and gain a clear understanding of another aspect of our Self. We achieve a greater level of patience. We gain a greater appreciation for food.

I understand the nature of the lesson; however as I regard foodstuffs as FUEL to nurish the mind/body I cannot deprive myself of what little I eat of it, whole grains, fruit, vegetables, brewers yeast etc. So I am not needing the reminder of gluttony, as I think of myself as a grownup humanbeing knowing the better course for the maintainance of my general wellbeing and health. Any kind of deprivation would be a criminal sabotage affecting thought process, potencial damage to/or organ shutdown. I dont understand your rational is all. If fasting is for the FEASTERS (gout proclivitors) I am all for it, but Im thinking the idea of fasting was not initially invented by westerners..but by the eastern faiths, and they of all people needed the nurishment because they have all experienced many periods of hardship/starvation. Are you sure this is not just a way to placate the starving into thinking daily nurishment is not what its owned up to/cut out to be, just an idea fed to those that cannot feed themselves; as in this should/would be understood as a true solid thoughtform, ie. periods of starvation are normal and the acquiescence of this potenciality are ritually ingrained in the psyhe.
edit on 18-9-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Hello there wildtimes. Peace!

For those who suffer from any type of metabolic/physical ailments and must adhere to certain dietary obligations, fasting is not the way to go :p

In such cases, fasting from a particular favorite food, which will not negatively effect one's ailment, could be as rewarding as normal fasting. Or fasting from a particular modern luxury, such as television, music, video games, Internet, and even a fast from artificial light and electricity.

The purpose of fasting is to develop patience, self-control/restraint, mindfulness, and a deeper understanding of Self and existence. There are a plethora of other ways to cultivate such qualities, fasting is just one of many avenues.

May Peace be upon you my friend

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Hi wildtimes,

My understanding of 'fasting' is that it it does several things.
1) Compassion - if you know what it feels like to be hungry, perhaps you will pay more attention to the suffering/hunger needs of others.

2) Challenge of Self-Discipline - we humans are filled with strong wants and desires that can "rule" what we do. To deny a basic desire for food or food and drink is a way of building self-control and personal discipline. The "raging horses" of desire can pull us in unhealthy directions if we don't learn to take the reigns.

3) To Do What Is Asked Even When It Is Hard - this is similar to number 2, but more specifically, to willingly suffer hunger in a structured way as a sign of one's love for the Beloved, and to expect that spiritual understanding and growth will be the end result of doing this.

4) For some it is physically beneficial and for others it is not or less so = that may be part of it, to give the digestive organs a rest. Most religions will allow people who are elderly or below a certain age, with child, nursing, sick, etc. to skip fasting as it is detrimental.

5) Spiritual Food - instead of eating physical food, the time normally spent eating is spent in prayer or meditation, or reading from spiritual writings, etc., thus 'replacing' physical food with connection with God.

All these things work together to make fasting, at least for people who can physically handle doing so, a potentially enriching experience.

Just my two cents...

- AB

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join