It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They actually did it!!! Uprighted that stranded cruside ship in Italy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I can't believe it.

GIGLIO ISLAND, Italy — The crippled Costa Concordia cruise ship was pulled completely upright early Tuesday during a complicated, 19-hour operation to wrench it from its side where it capsized last year off Tuscany, with officials declaring it a "perfect" end to a daring and unprecedented engineering feat. Shortly after 4 a.m., a foghorn wailed on Giglio Island and the head of Italy's Civil Protection agency, Franco Gabrielli, announced that the ship had reached vertical and that the operation to rotate it – known in nautical terms as parbuckling – was complete. "We completed the parbuckling operation a few minutes ago the way we thought it would happen and the way we hoped it would happen," said Franco Porcellacchia, project manager for the Concordia's owner, Costa Crociere SpA. "A perfect operation, I must say," with no environmental spill detected so far, he said

So urce

This board generally exposes the worst of humanity, but I wanted to take a moment and salute those folks who got together and worked to prevent what could've ended up being a complete ecological catastrophe, and actually uprighted a ship that's even larger than the Titanic without it breaking apart. I love it when a plan succeeds.

Brilliant stuff! Here's to them.
edit on 9/17/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Yep..People can be pretty amazing when they put their mind to it...Just a pity Captain Calamities mind was elsewhere while he was supposed to be steering the bloody ship.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Amazing did see footage of it getting lifted out, mind power is good

join