It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you know if you're an Alcoholic???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
My thing is I like to get drunk and or hi, usually both. And usually I'd say on average about twice a month. It's not much really. The rest of the time I'm stressed out over a million problems of life. Stuff like the fact that I'm living in a relatives basement off their charity, lack of income, legal problems, tax problems, trying to start 4 different small business (none of which are yet making money, but I'm hoping to try and change that within about the next 6 months). So life is stressful, so I tend to seem to charish the moments when I can get hi and or drunk to just escape real life. which is nothign but work and stress. My thought was to maybe eventually just buy a van and live out of that. And or try and build a small yurt somewhere near the coast. And then get a dog and live there part time. Then Just suppliment my food by keeping active doing: fishing, hunting, trapping, foraging, and beachcombing. Like I have a decent bow, and a pellet gun, which would be good for up to small deer. And I could get a 22 easy enough, which would also come in handy to get food. And I could get traps. So I was thinking there's tons of woods around the B.C. coast that I could find a spot to live in hopefully. And or maybe even by a very small plot of land and use that to build my yurt on. But I'm not keen on the idea of living on the grid anymore. I hate the grid infact. It's a scam basically. But I'm getting off topic. The point is I find that when I get drunk and or hi I can at least escape reality for at least a little bit, and all it's problems. I just can't stand it anymore. But what can you do right. Especially a bit of weed now and then, that's very nice to escape with. So getting wasted about 2wice a month, that's not that unreasonable it is? Is that an alcoholic?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

not really...

I don't believe we can speak of such things here though...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

yup. (burrp)

hmmm....

have another (burrp) .......we'll talk ab...(burrp)..out ..it.....

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Wow, with all that stress it is strange you don't drink a lot more.

People who get hung over and get a headache off of drinking rarely become alcoholics. Those who can drink and never get a hangover usually have a better chance of becoming one. This isn't set into stone though, it is just one factor.

Alcohol contains tyramines, tyramines make brain chemicals, brain chemicals can either give us energy or relax us by balancing the system. Also, alcohol can speed up the liver to detox the body if it is not overly consumed.

I see good and bad in this beverage, it is more of a medicine than something we should drink all the time.

Adjusting brain chemicals can be done with aged foods, try to experiment which helps you deal with stress best. I could write a twenty page article on possible combinations for stress. Try a can of kippered snacks and see how it makes you feel. Don't eat more than a can a week though, the negative effects can outweigh the positive effects after that. It's time released medicine. Good beef jerky or a little sausage works good also as long as the chemical list isn't too long.

When the bacteria that eat sugar in the gut get overpopulated, you crave alcohol and sugars. The balance gets off. You can't repopulate with microbes that eat sugar, that would be counterproductive.

Well, I'm a little off topic.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
i am something of a expert on both those subjects and you are only addicted when you got to have it daily/ weekly .

you are not yet but you could slide into it i know people who need 6-8 litres of cider daily .

i rarely drink know but i was a bad drunk if you had a police uniform and i was drinking oooooo.

they say you can define life as a chemical reaction .

better to keep it to once a month as a reward you enjoy it more

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

You have nothing to worry about- this isn't a competition but in my house both of what you are concerned about at consumed numerous times daily.
In saying that- I'm at work at the moment and not home!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Procuring your booze before food requirements and everything else would be a pretty good indicator you're not in too good of shape. Aside from that nothing wrong with relaxing or partying a bit. So relax. Enjoy. Puff puff pass.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Being a recovering addict myself (Not alcoholic, but similar circumstances), I had heard of this "test" from the AA website, and it seems to do a well-above-great job letting you know if you could be an alcoholic or not. It's a simple 12 question *Yes or No* questionnaire. Today I am 83 days Sober, my sobriety date is June 26th, 2013, recovering from drugs.

If you are serious about your inquiries, and are curious to know how you can tell if you are an alcoholic or not, please, check out this link! Alcoholics Anonymous : Is A.A. For You?

I am not a big fan of the whole 12 steps process myself, but I do believe in a higher power.You don't need to believe in God Himself to do the 12 steps/12 traditions (if you are choosing sobriety) but it is a "program" with a lot of supporting people.

God Bless you on your journey mane!

~Stevie

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

well then you are a pilot, work for ATC or you are a cop.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
my personal favourite was when you wake up in police cells and you do not know how you got there or which one you are in .

wait for the hatch to open then ask the officer have you found the bodies then i take it

never fails to work that one ps true story

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

How do you know if you are an alcoholic?

Well...get a breathalyzer...take a whoot in it...if you are consistently blowing above legal limit at any time in the day...you are definitely an alcoholic!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
You say it's a couple times a month then don't worry you are just rewarding yourself for the work you have done and you also realize it is an escape you arent sugar coating it. You seem to be fully aware of why your doing it and if it helps recharge you to face the next couple weeks then it's fine. It's a mental vacation but only rock stars can take permenent ones and still have a life. Charlie Sheen can.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
You don't seem like an alcoholic to me.
If you can stick to being an occasional drinker that's not harmful.

To me, an alcoholic isn't defined by how much they consume or the frequency, It's defined by if it causes disruptions in their life.

If you get drunk, show up late to work, then get fired, you're an alcoholic , because this caused you to lose your job and you can't pay the bills. If you get drunk and smash your wife's face in you're an alcoholic. You hurt somebody else and shouldn't drink.

If its not disrupting anyones life or health it's fine.

edit on 17-9-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

edit on 17-9-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I agree that if does not have a negative effect on your life or health then there's not really a problem.

If you wake up in the morning needing alcohol or cannot get through the day without it then yes, you're an alcoholic. Otherwise I would just describe you as someone who likes a drink- nothing wrong with that.

I have 15 gallons of wine in the house right now (that's the equivalent of 90 bottles), but I won't touch a drop unless I don't have to work (or drive early) the next day.
edit on 17-9-2013 by GeeBee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Alcoholism has nothing to do with the stressors which cause a person to drink, but the amount that they drink, and continue to drink to the point where it does them lasting physical damage. That could be neurological damage, where receptors in the brain actually become dysfunctional on a permanent basis, or indeed damage to the organs which process the liquid you intake, like the obvious liver diseases associated with drinking heavily.

Generally speaking though, although I would be the first to admit that I have been pretty damned drunk at times in my life (kneeling down at a busy intersection, in the no mans land, and screaming "I AM THE HUMAN BOLLARD!" is not an activity undertaken by sober persons) I find it tedious to drink to escape. The simple fact is it does not really work for me. I drink because I like the taste of ale, and I like the taste of rum, and God help me I also like the taste of a pint of mixed spirits if I am honest (because I am slightly mad).

This feeling you have about wanting to go build a yurt in the middle of some woods or something... I share the heck out of that man. I have lived in a town by the sea all my life, a built up seaside resort town, famous in the early 1900s as a tourist destination. Its pretty vacuous at the best of times around here. The paperwork you need to complete in order to justify your existence to the authorities, the forms and bills you fill in and pay, the necessity to keep a roof over your head...its all BS anyway. I was homeless for a while, and although I had no choice in the matter at the time, looking back, I realise I have NEVER been more free than I was back then.

I have been thinking for a while that it would be awesome to go and live outdoors properly, just a bergen full of gear on my back, and a forest or a cave or something for shelter. But living that way would not just alienate me from my people, my friends, but it would also basically be running away. See, life sets you up to get crushed, because life is a ten tonne bastard. As much fun as I could have hunting my food rather than paying for it, it would still be running away, rather than facing the arch bastard down, smashing my boots into its gonads repeatedly, stamping on its face, and taking out its bodily organs as trophies.

You need to get some proper, focused anger going. Summon all your reserves of rage, and focus them into the task of taking life by the scruff of the neck, tearing out its spinal cord, and smashing the remains to bloody pulp. Its much more satisfying in the long run I think.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

ack I just wanna give you a big hug

Your stressing yourself out think calm blue ocean while your puffing

I'm sure you will do great with your wee businesses just hang in there

xx

edit on 17-9-2013 by ballymoney50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

well, before it goes away, I'll say, you cant discuss personal use. not sure why that needed to e said.

But yeah, you know you're an alcoholic as soon as you realise that jumping in front of a train is becoming a good idea and not an end result.

30 years drunk.

11 months sober.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
You know you are an alcoholic when a complete lush says: "Sir, you have a serious drinking problem".

(At least that's when I clued in.)

It sounds sarcastic but I am being 100% serious.

-Peace-
edit on 17-9-2013 by Eryiedes because: Edit

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by iPutAtlantaOnMyBack

I tend to go by the idea that anything and I mean anything, that's told to us by any main stream institution is basically a lie. So I wouldn't take a test like that. Essentially it's just another propaganda piece in my mind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join