It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'He doesn't juggle. He doesn't twist balloons into animal shapes. He just stares': Who is the cr

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Those of a coulrophobic disposition are advised to look away now: a creepy and anonymous clown has been terrifying residents of Northampton by standing around on street corners and staring at passers-by

'He doesn't juggle. He doesn't twist balloons into animal shapes. He just stares': Who is the creepy clown terrifying the people of Northampton?

I thought people might find this interesting as it is maybe the birth of a new form of "Urban legend", that being one which seemingly uses the social media to communicate with the world. It struck me how, 25 years ago this case might have eventually made the media however, by such time , in all probability, any semblance of reality would have been long lost and the reports would have born all the classic details that go to create and "Urban legend".

I suspect there would have been, even if only hinted at in news reports, a far "supernatural bent on this tale and that the stories would have not only been more extreme rather, totally threatening in their demeanour. In short, he would have become "Pennywise". As it is, with the quick turnover of news and ready availability online world wide, the story has taken a different twist. It would now seem that, having a press officer who takes care of your Facebook page is of paramount importance when creating new myths.

The story of how, some guy in a clown costume in sleepy Northampton in the English shires can be "news" in Thailand and all points East, is as interesting a phenomenon as the story itself?

I also find it fascinating that some people are so far up themselves that they can genuinely post such drivel as. "Don;t you realise some people are scared of clowns, you are being totally irresponsible", as if there should be some sort of by law forbidding people ever doing anything out of the norm, whatever that might be, for fear of "scaring" someone.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
That's pretty funny, he does look pretty weird. I suppose he would be called a "Clown Mime", LOL. The by laws to keep from scaring people was pretty good too, seems many think the world is only for them, and only about them, and anything they don't like should be unlawful...Weird Clown, made me laugh.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
He looks like the clown from "It"

He didn't juggle either!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is AWESOME!!! I would be that guy!!!

When the Blair Witch came out I waited in the corner for my exGF to come out of the bathroom and Madness ensued...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It might be a viral publicity stunt for the ''IT'' movie remake...

www.itremake.com...

someone even posted that article on the site's facebook page

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
If it wasn't a viral campaign already for the remake of IT then it's going to be now that they know about it.
The producers will have creepy clowns on every corner in America...

edit on 16-9-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

Full points for a novel idea, best clown I've seen for a while

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

The newspaper also reports that the clown knocked on someone's door and offered to paint their window sills despite having no painting equipment. She reported the men to police for their suspicious behaviour stating they looked like clowns.

Aside from being the most chilling two sentences ever, that^ seems beyond the purview of a publicity stunt.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

“However, i might go for a jog around that pond in Abington park later as i'm really unfit... See you around! Beep Beep!”

That's definitely a Pennywise reference. "Beep beep Richie!" Haha this is pretty creepy. Maybe he is just trolling people? Thanks for sharing this!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I personally think it is a tad creepy. Like others have said, it may be a publicity stunt..so that is neat. It does look just like pennywise. That movie 'it' is stuck in my memory. Some of the images were scary
. I was very young when I first saw that film.

Clowns are interesting ...
~nat

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think it is advertising, I only saw a tiny bit of IT but it terrified me, I was little LOL

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
can this be considered as a

'terrorist' .. ?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I just read about that "clown" on Fortean Times and having made my way home very late from a few pubs in my time, I'd have to say if I had seen something like that, it would have definitely changed from a "pub crawl" to a "pub sprint" Clowns are creepy enough in a well lit room when your sober! Stumbling across one when you
half tossed, on a dark street? NOT Priceless! Thanks Steven King !
(especially if it's wearing a clown name tag that says "pennywise" !

edit on 2013 9 17 by CarbonBase because: spelling and content

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Komodo
can this be considered as a

'terrorist' .. ?

All clowns are terrorists. I hate clowns. I can stare down an armed aggressor without breaking a sweat but clowns...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
pictures or it didn't happen

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Hey, any guy who just stands around and stares is creepy. He doesn't have to be dressed like a clown to be creepy. Maybe it's a new thing, like people used to lie down everywhere?

Or maybe it's that new show The World According to Ben. That guy does creepy things too.

If a creepy man knocked on my door to ask if he could "paint my window sills". I would probably have the same reaction.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
All theorizing and speculating aside, can anyone really match Tim Curry when it comes to playing Pennywise?
I mean really....there is no comparison.

Anyways, the back story behind Pennywise is actually rather fascinating.
Pennywise the Dancing Clown

It (also known as ''Pennywise", or "Bob Gray") apparently originated in a void containing and surrounding the Universe, a place referred to in the novel as the "Macroverse" (a concept similar to the later established Todash Darkness of the Dark Tower Novels). Its real name (if, indeed, It has one) is unknown—although at several points in the novel, It claims its true name to be Robert Gray—and is christened It by the group of children who later confront it.

edit on 17-9-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well I know if I wanted to freak people out dressing+acting like a demented/sinister clown would be one of the best ways to do it.Like in the movies-what is scarier: an axewielding masked maniac-or that sweet little girl sitting with her back to the main actor/actress..she walks up to the little girl,who seems to be softly crying,saying something like:"ah sweetie what's wrong,talk to me,I will help you"...and as the little girl turns around..ROARRR!!! She has the long-fanged hideous face of some demon from the pit.

Know what I mean? The scariest scenario of all is when something/someone traditionally symbolising safety+fun+innocence+all positive things turn Mean.Turn eerie+sinister and maniacal.

That is why REC/Quarantine and 28 Days later is far more frightening to me than a horror featuring all kinds of unspeakable CGI-created monsters+fiends/anything created with FX,however impressively they are.

The familiar+trusted are more terrifying when they "turn" than something you Expect and than the ugliest critter from a horror movie.
Now I have found clowns to be horribly sinister practically since first memory despite assurances from my mother that they were fine fun chaps.So to me,that clown would not be overly much of a shock or a scare-because I Expect clowns to be sinister+repugnant.But most folks and kids feel the opposite,they've been conditioned to see clowns as fine fun chaps.So yes,to really freak people out,you could do well to find a clownsuit.
And I am happy to report that there is at least one un-sinister clown in the world,a black guy that was born with the dwarfism condition,who works for McClaren circus.Took me almost half a century to find one I did'nt want to punch in the face if he came anywhere near me.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

That is truly inspired work! Its good to see someone going out there and flying the flag of weirdness, challenging the everyday with overwhelming strangeness. There should be more like this I think, mind you, it will be Halloween before you know it. Perhaps the rest of the circus will show up!?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I love this story so much, if it's connected to the movie then not so much but this has caused such a fuss in that town and people are split on the clown.
Also the grainy picture of him by the garage is just freaky.

There is a YouTube video which people have said is the guy but the YouTube vids owner denies it and the Northampton Clown himself denies it on his facebook.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join