It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation - What's the Point?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Here ya go, try this one!

www.openlounge.org...

it's a bit different

(and if you lose yourself inside some kind of portal or place you don't recognize or understand, DON'T PANIC, just wait, you'll come back eventually!)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

InTheLight
It's interesting to me how brain waves change depending upon your intent within meditation, as per the study below.

"Previous studies have shown that theta waves indicate deep relaxation and occur more frequently in highly experienced meditation practitioners. The source is probably frontal parts of the brain, which are associated with monitoring of other mental processes."

www.sciencedaily.com...

I have read somewhere that children are mostly in 'theta state' till the age of 6 or 7.
Does this mean that kids are in a permanent state of meditation?

I have two young ones, 4 and 6. I notice my youngest has only just started to understand the concept of past and future, until now, she was firmly rooted in the present moment. Seems like mediation to me

edit on 29-9-2013 by rogert4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Astyanax
reply to post by rogert4

I could push a thread of 'the other kind' of energy through your body... and... you will feel it quite clearly.

I don't doubt that I would feel something, but it would be an internal, physiological reaction to an induced mental state. No different from the way a scary story sends shivers up my spine or evocative music makes my forearm hairs stand on end. Yes, these reactions take energy, but it's energy of the ordinary, physical sort, generated and expended by my own body. Nothing passes between you and me except information — nothing detectable, at any rate.

By the way, I don't need to tell you where I push the energy, if you are sensitive you will feel it by yourself, without my hints

Now if nothing passes between you and me, how does that happen, how do we share the same or at least similar beyond coincidence experience?

And yep, it is detectable, by you and me

Maybe one day, engineers will find a way to make a device to sense it to, but in the meantime it appears most of sentient life can 'feel' the energy I am talking about. My dog certainly can

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rogert4

Are you sure this is a good idea, Roger? Frankly, I'd rather leave it. Still...

I could push a thread of 'the other kind' of energy through your body... and... you will feel it quite clearly. I don't need to tell you where I push the energy, if you are sensitive you will feel it by yourself, without my hints

Perhaps. But since we are unlikely ever to meet, this assertion is impossible to substantiate, which rather undermines its value in an argument.

Now if nothing passes between you and me, how does that happen, how do we share the same or at least similar beyond coincidence experience?

Do we? Perhaps we have entirely different experiences which we describe in the same language. There is no way to tell; you don't know what it's like to be me, and vice versa. My experience of the colour red may be your experience of the colour green, but we both call it red because that is the name by which we call the perception triggered by light of a particular frequency falling on our retinas — no matter what the actual perception may be. We cannot inhabit one another's skins, so we can never really tell whether what another person is feeling is the same as what we are feeling.

Just for the sake of your question, however, let's invoke the Great God Common Sense and assume that common words describe common mental and emotional states. After all, empathy is a real feeling. If we do that, then the answer lies in the exception you ignored. I didn't say that nothing passes between us; I said information does. Information is pretty potent stuff. It is all you need to generate all kinds of feelings and behaviour.

Maybe one day, engineers will find a way to make a device to sense it to, but in the meantime it appears most of sentient life can 'feel' the energy I am talking about. My dog certainly can

Maybe you can patent Rover, clone him and market him as a psychic-energy detector.

edit on 29/9/13 by Astyanax because: of format.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

I read a book called "The Power of Believing" by John Hall available on amazon.com. It recomends incorporating the use of "Life Scripts" into your routine 2 to 3 times each day. These life scripts are a form of meditation that are designed to change your thought patterns in your subconscious and thus change your automatic responses to life experiences. When you change your thought patterns your change in behavior will result in changes to what you attract into your life. I have incorporated this practice into my routine and it has had a significant impact on my quality of life.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Astyanax
reply to post by rogert4

Are you sure this is a good idea, Roger? Frankly, I'd rather leave it. Still...

Yeah, I'm still having fun

I didn't say that nothing passes between us; I said information does.

Is that a vote for telepathy?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

rogert4

InTheLight
It's interesting to me how brain waves change depending upon your intent within meditation, as per the study below.

"Previous studies have shown that theta waves indicate deep relaxation and occur more frequently in highly experienced meditation practitioners. The source is probably frontal parts of the brain, which are associated with monitoring of other mental processes."

www.sciencedaily.com...

I have read somewhere that children are mostly in 'theta state' till the age of 6 or 7.
Does this mean that kids are in a permanent state of meditation?

I have two young ones, 4 and 6. I notice my youngest has only just started to understand the concept of past and future, until now, she was firmly rooted in the present moment. Seems like mediation to me

Do you recall where you read that re: theta state in children... because it tweeks an interest in me?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

Meditation - What's the Point?

The point of it is to practice remaining awake without using dreams or thought trains as stepping stones. Usually to be conscious implies being conscious of something(s). When something is not there to be conscious of, consciousness lapses into semi-consciousness and unconsciousness.

The physical world/body exists so that an extra polarity exists in relation to the sleep/dream state. If not for the existence of a physical body, one's consciousness would be lost in the dream world, unable to wake up. Although it would be possible to wake up but only as a trick of the dream weaver where one "wakes" from one dream state into another dream state.

Practicing remaining awake in the gap between two polarities is the name of this game. Living is an opportunity to become adept at this waking/sleeping/dreaming process because when the physical body dies there is no more door available to this body and its world. Dreaming and rest/sleep would then become a continuous state until some sort of progress or breakthrough is made.(reincarnation, or progress to a third world or plane)

Meditation is a power against being hypnotised by the dream. It is an anti-hypnotic.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join