It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation - What's the Point?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hello all.

I am newish to the meditation realm, and had (seemingly) simple questions that I can't seem to get answered anywhere.

I was hoping that the lot of you would be able to throw in your collective ideas, mantras, reasons, and your "Why." The reason you meditate, is the "Why" I refer to.

What do you say to yourself while you meditate?

Do you say anything?

Am I supposed to be actively envisioning something?

Am I supposed to feel anything?

Am I supposed to fall asleep?

Should I be sitting or laying down?

What about standing?

Is the point of this just simple silence?

What role do candles and crystals and incense play in all this?

Are they necessary?

Can I play music in the background?

Am I allowed to drink some water while meditating if my throat is dry?

Is there some sort of guide out there for this? I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any solid accounting of this, or even two people who do it the same way. It makes me question meditation's effectiveness, and also makes me question if anyone really knows what they're doing when they meditate.

I'd love your input on the topic, and I would be ecstatic if someone with some real knowledge on the subject could drop some knowledge bombs on the rest of us (mostly me though, because it is my thread). From the outside looking in, I can see meditation being beneficial to me, I just want to know that I am doing it "the right way" so as not to waste my time.

Thanks in advance!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Meditation is a very subjective experience so you are going to find hundreds of people who practice it differently yet they archive results. Its also about what you are setting out to do with meditation, you want to do it yet you ask what the point is? why do you want to do it?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cesaro

I personally want to do it so I can clear my head, and hopefully, tap into some source of something that can help me repair injuries, calm me down, etc.

I don't know a lot about it, and it has been recommended to me several times by several different people in so many different ways. I understand that there are countless ways and reasons, I'm looking for yours and to see if it is a reason that I would like to include in my own.

I don't know if it has limitations (obviously I wouldn't rely solely on meditation to fix all issues in my life) but I would like to see if/how it has successfully worked for you and yours. What things do you think about when you meditate?

I've been told to focus on my breathing and count 4 heartbeats for breath in, hold for 4 beats, then exhale for 4 beats. That's it. That is all I have been told. I have the 4 beats down pretty well, but want to know if there is more here, or if I just keep counting to 4 until the number 5 loses all meaning?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

Cool avatar!

Try reading the link in my signature.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
You can't be attached to the results. If you're constantly thinking about whether or not you're achieving the "desired effect" (see the problem?), you're... well, you're doing just that--constantly thinking. Which is the exact opposite of what you want.

You'll know when you're doing it "right", and it will come. But it takes practice and experimentation to find a method that "fits". If you do it every day, it won't be long until it becomes almost... gravitational. It pulls you in without any effort on your part. You sort of just have to give up trying and let it do you instead of you doing it.

Patience, or the absence of anticipation, is key.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

This is a good book that helped me get started, I didn't get very far into actually meditating. I usually just read it every once in a while. It has some good simple suggestions. The point he makes is that you can meditate while doing your dishes if your mind is in the right place, that is 'now'.

The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation

I read the Tao Te Ching all the time.

That's about as much as I would recommend to anyone.

Enjoy!

edit on 16-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Hey (first stage of horse manure)- Like the typer before Me asked, What is Your goal? |'d Love to help You because | KNOW (watch out for "believers" 'thinkers' and "feelers") that it can change One's Life. | was retired in 2004 from a Ca. police dep't. due to a broken back/neck and 2 different cancers (lung;skin) So | moved to Flori-DUH to die. | was on 7 different Rx. meds. So | looked into the best way to Exit-stage left. | read a book about the Tao Te Ching and meditation was advised. One is supposed to read the book One chapter at a time and ponder each verse. | couldn't put the book down and after reading it in 1.5 days, | looked into different meditation(s)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by backcase

Your thread there is pretty good. My comment on the last page has little to do with subject matter, but, it's there anyway.

I see what you mean about how it can help. Thank you for putting that down in plain old black and white (or grey and grey here).

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

So not being attached to the outcome of my (20 minutes?) is something to keep in mind before I clear my mind?

I see the inherent problem, but recognize that the problem exists before the action, and therefore is not necessarily a problem while the action is underway.

So the action of meditation is an exercise in clearing thoughts from the mind, as well as...(can you fill in more for me, please)?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Ironically enough, that book has been in my Amazon cart for a few days. Just haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. I will definitely snag it on the next go around!

Thank you!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

You can have a relaxing moment where you just try to silent your mind a little and it is up to you to figure out how you do it best. I am very bad at the sit still thing but that might be because of increased sensation overload when I do it. The thing that works for me when I want a hightened moment is singing or listening to songs/chakra videos without guiding because guiding do not work at all for me.

If you go far down the rabbit hole then you will literally understand to much about what is going on and that can be hard to handle with the unknowing/unexperianced ones. If you have people around you with chakra/kundalini experiance then it will be easier on you if you go down the rabbit hole.

Muse said it in Uprising.

If you could flick a switch and open your third eye, You'd see that We should never be afraid to die

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

RicketyCricket
Hello all.

I am newish to the meditation realm, and had (seemingly) simple questions that I can't seem to get answered anywhere.

I was hoping that the lot of you would be able to throw in your collective ideas, mantras, reasons, and your "Why." The reason you meditate, is the "Why" I refer to.

What do you say to yourself while you meditate?

Do you say anything?

Am I supposed to be actively envisioning something?

Am I supposed to feel anything?

Am I supposed to fall asleep?

Should I be sitting or laying down?

What about standing?

Is the point of this just simple silence?

What role do candles and crystals and incense play in all this?

Are they necessary?

Can I play music in the background?

Am I allowed to drink some water while meditating if my throat is dry?

Is there some sort of guide out there for this? I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any solid accounting of this, or even two people who do it the same way. It makes me question meditation's effectiveness, and also makes me question if anyone really knows what they're doing when they meditate.

I'd love your input on the topic, and I would be ecstatic if someone with some real knowledge on the subject could drop some knowledge bombs on the rest of us (mostly me though, because it is my thread). From the outside looking in, I can see meditation being beneficial to me, I just want to know that I am doing it "the right way" so as not to waste my time.

Thanks in advance!

there are many approaches,
but the goal is to return to God/Reality (Present Moment), no Mind
you must become your awareness/observer, not the mind
mind will come and go but u just be the observer (and watch your body/mind/speech/feeling in actions)

but if you cant control mind so much, make the mind does some workout with mantra,
mantra depends on ur religion,
make a short prayer, one sentence, not too long, must be aim to favorite deity ex God/Jesus, topic? anything non material or worldly. Ask for forgiveness, protection from evil, guide you back to become One with God/Reality
read your prayer repeatedly (if done right you will become the prayer itself) i only read prayer to calm my mind most of the time)
you can use this trick anywhere.

if you want to use music, thats also fine, if possible just melody like classic, no romantic/emotional music. music with prayers is fine but can be distracting.
if mind distracts you, focus on breathing and return to music (if its done correctly, you become one with the music. your consciousness drop to heart, and stay there as long as you can)

the rest of meditations trick, you can see arpgme's thread opening chakra with sound (www.abovetopsecret.com...) and more in dominicus thread (www.abovetopsecret.com...)

sitting or lying wont matter, if u fall asleep, wake up and continue ur progress, usually its much better.

for sitting, i recommend zazen.

enjoy

edit on 16-9-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

NthOther
You can't be attached to the results. If you're constantly thinking about whether or not you're achieving the "desired effect" (see the problem?), you're... well, you're doing just that--constantly thinking. Which is the exact opposite of what you want.

You'll know when you're doing it "right", and it will come. But it takes practice and experimentation to find a method that "fits". If you do it every day, it won't be long until it becomes almost... gravitational. It pulls you in without any effort on your part. You sort of just have to give up trying and let it do you instead of you doing it.

Patience, or the absence of anticipation, is key.

Or a fear amagydala overload after a total rejection of all things in life. But that path should not be sought. It is insanely painful on all levels of your being.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
there is two types of meditation that i practice,
concentrated thinking, and no thinking.

Concentrated thinking is what i usually do and for clarity, i usually begin at trying to define a word or a idea in my own words, and then try to look at the definition in a 360 perspective. usually i get a better understanding and peace of mind when i feel like my meditating is done.

For example: what is meditation? meditation is to focus your whole being on to an idea whether the idea being of something or nothing. (my definition, and now to add the 360 perspective) by entertaining the idea whether it be of something or nothing, your whole mind is being occupied to accomplish your goal.relieving your mind of any foreign thoughts and worries which in the end will allow you to feel at peace. and this thinking will go for as long as it needs to until i get that zing!

No thinking usually has me sitting down and just concentrating on nothing, just my breathing which is abdominal breathing, it really tames the mind cause its hard actually think of a time when you're not thinking, and when you try to force yourself not to think your mind tries to think haha

well those are my two

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

RicketyCricket
reply to post by greencmp

Ironically enough, that book has been in my Amazon cart for a few days. Just haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. I will definitely snag it on the next go around!

Thank you!

Tis fate!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Meditation is to quiet the mind of it's incessant chatter. It's about quieting your whole BEING. It's about being. Not doing. Meditation is not something you do. It's something you become. Quiet. Still. No expectations. No anything.

Once learned. You can DO other things that are not meditation, but closer to self-hypnosis. Because you have learned to enter an altered state at will.

But you will always want to come back to meditation.
edit on 9/16/2013 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LewisStulePhD

I'd ask if your initials were DS but it isn't important here. What is important is that you walked 4 Weims with a bad neck/back combo. How on Earth did you do that? The "F" patch with a ton of meditation? How can you walk weims while meditating? The single most troublesome breed I've ever owned!!! They aren't mean, just inquisitive, rambunctious, and incredibly intelligent.

I'll check out the Tao Te Ching. I've heard it's along the lines of "Think and Grow Rich" except it's spiritual, instead of abundance related.

I am in a legal state and continue to use the Cannabis as a medication. It weaned me off of the Oxycontin and Flexiril cocktails that the doctor was throwing down my throat. Side note, did you know you can drool for about 30 minutes without liquid leaving your mouth? I found out when I was in one of my Rx hazes and my wife was concerned that I wasn't breathing more than twice per minute. The poison is going to kill us invalids.

Do you recommend meditation in a medicated state, or do you recommend it in an unaltered state? I only ask because sitting for more than 15 minutes destroys L1-L5 where my herniated and bulging discs love to cause problems. I don't mind lying down, but, I fall asleep the majority of the time (non medicated).

I have a strange feeling we would get along quite well.

My intentions are clear with each session. I set out to bring relaxation and calmness to my (fill in the blank). I focus on bringing about whatever I am calling for (relaxation, let's say). It's after about 5 minutes of focusing on the breathing that my mind starts to wander.

Is there a "wrong way" to meditate?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

RicketyCricket
reply to post by NthOther

So not being attached to the outcome of my (20 minutes?) is something to keep in mind before I clear my mind?

Sort of. It's more like being comfortable with not knowing. Taking your hands off the steering wheel. Remember that you're not really "clearing your mind" in the sense of taking an active role in the process and literally pushing thoughts out of your head. A clear mind is a mind in its natural state, so it instinctively reverts to that state when you let it. Just be a passive observer of "your" thoughts, withholding analysis or judgment, and (at least for me--remember this is all completely subjective) they'll just... fade away.

I see the inherent problem, but recognize that the problem exists before the action, and therefore is not necessarily a problem while the action is underway.

So the action of meditation is an exercise in clearing thoughts from the mind, as well as...(can you fill in more for me, please)?

It's an exercise in allowing your mind to clear itself. It's not really an "action", per se, at all. But you'll get different answers about all of this from everyone you talk to. It really is all about finding a method you like and having patience.

I hesitate to use the word "faith", because I know the reaction it may draw from some, but that (again, just for me) has a part in it too. It helps to just believe that it will come in due time, and then of course it does.

"I will tell thee a supreme mystery, because thy soul has faith." - attributed to Krishna, from The Bhagavad Gita

Forgot to mention that it really helps to study the traditions these practices came from. They make a whole lot more sense when you contemplate the spiritual context in which they developed, rather than from a purely metaphysical standpoint.

Didn't mean to go all "God" on you, but hey...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

So guiding does NOT work for you. If you don't mind me asking, what type of guidance were you seeking? Were you listening to something like "Breathe deep, count to 4, exhale with the same 4 count, follow the path, see your grandmother...etc?" I've heard some guided tracks and wondered how these would help.

I'm not worried about going too far down the rabbit hole. I am pretty well adjusted, and I suppose you might be able to say that I am jaded to some extent. Not very much surprises me anymore. I'm either a sociopath, or I just understand that there is stuff I won't be able to wrap my brain around without it doing a backflip. Like space. "They" say space (like outer space, where the stars are) is constantly expanding. What is it expanding into? What was there before it? Is there a true end? I dunno. I'm okay with not knowing. I'd love to find out that our version of space is simply the "dead space" between the molecules that make up the molecules that make up the molecules that make up the molecules of some atom that happens to be part of a sand flea's left leg.

I actually welcome the rabbit hole. I'm tired of this "reality" and want to know more. I want to expand my knowledge of my surroundings to the point of mastery. I want to know everything about every single thing around me. From the concepts to the nuts and bolts of production. That's a character piece though.

You get an extra internet for dropping some Muse. Any post with Muse is a good post by my standards.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Cool thread!

I've always believed in meditation, and reading some of these posts just reinfforces it for me.

I must must get into it! Have been thinking about it for many years.

Good luck with it and stick with it OP, and hope you find what you are looking for on here.

OE123

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join