It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is criminal activity being accepted?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

Let me guess, coming from someone who's never been in trouble with the law

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
the problem lies when we have a court system that is for profit and the TRUTH has no bearing what so ever...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This stems from making crimes out of things which are not crimes, in other words making things illegal which have no direct and specific victim. When you do this, you degrade the meaning of criminal. You water down what a criminal is, if you make someone a criminal even though there is no victim, you instill the idea that crime isn't all bad. This weakens people's respect for the law, police, and weakens people's negative feelings towards criminals.

The same thing happened during prohibition. Millions of people, who otherwise would be normal upstanding citizens that don't hurt anybody, suddenly became criminals. Their friends and families instantly became criminals. This strongly increased people's acceptance of criminals and criminal behavior, as if you are a good person and labeled a criminal, and your friends and family are good people that are labeled criminals, then obviously being a criminal doesn't have any bearing on a person.

This attitude strengthened people's acceptance of the mafia, increasing the number of people who are cooperative with them. The law says they are criminals? No biggie, the law says I'm a criminal too, so who cares.

Basically, prosecuting victimless crimes destroys the credibility of the legal system and laws in general, which increases acceptance of criminals and criminal behavior.

It's ridiculous to demand people respect the law, when so many laws are undeserving of respect. Fix that, and people's acceptance of criminal behavior will drop. Being a criminal will actually be a bad thing again, which reflects on you as a person, instead of simply reflecting the absurdity of the legal system. Continue the trend of bad laws, and the people will continue to ignore the law.
edit on 19-9-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

smarko

tetra50
This, I find, is a much deeper subject than it first appears.....as anyone can be framed these days, in a variety of ways.

I have a hunch that the issue of people getting framed ("to make up evidence or contrive events so as to incriminate (a person) falsely") is more common that someone might believe. Also, a group of people might try to allure somebody to make risky choices, which lead to doing something illegal.

Hey, Smarko:

Yes, I not only have the same feeling, but the same experience. Thanks for your reply. The crap of that is once it happens to one of us, it tends to happen to more of us, as though we have then agreed to that, for all of us....
Tetra

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

spartacus699
reply to post by sparky31

Let me guess, coming from someone who's never been in trouble with the law
i wish i could say nope never but unfortunately i can,t was regularly in trouble with law up until about 6-7 years ago until i grew up and realized it wasn,t worth it,my crimes tho were never against vulnerable people,only against the like and then it was for what most decent people would like to do,giving them a bit of a slap.
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

sparky31
is criminal activity becoming acceptable?mean by that is for most common crimes we no longer jail people,people seem to accept it and think a slap on the wrist is enough,i know jails are full but cause some crime is a regular occurrence everyone just lets it go,why?sick of hearing this person has robbed that person or this person has done this but cause its not a really serious crime according to police we,ll let it go cause our jails are full and we don,t want to fill them up more,having that attitude will send the world in a downward spiral and i,m glad when it does kick in i will be long gone.

Of course man! Didn't you know? We gotta let that guy who just robbed the liquor store off so we can lock Johnny from down the street up for having a joint. Gotta crack down on those evil drugs that are destroying society and taking valuable money away from big pharmaceutical companies!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join