It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is criminal activity being accepted?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
is criminal activity becoming acceptable?mean by that is for most common crimes we no longer jail people,people seem to accept it and think a slap on the wrist is enough,i know jails are full but cause some crime is a regular occurrence everyone just lets it go,why?sick of hearing this person has robbed that person or this person has done this but cause its not a really serious crime according to police we,ll let it go cause our jails are full and we don,t want to fill them up more,having that attitude will send the world in a downward spiral and i,m glad when it does kick in i will be long gone.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

Maybe it is:

The wealthier you are the more likely you are to get decent legal representation. Maybe the economy but for sure public defenders are stretched thin most of the time, thereby not being able (or willing) to work hard to get defendants off. Thus jails fill up and police are forced to be more selective.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I dont agree!
I also think the wrong people are locked up.
We lock up thousands of people for victim less crimes, and we let bankers etc who destroy the lives of millions get away with a big fat bonus!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

And the bankers have money and therefore attorneys to find every loophole. The wrong people are put in jail - because attorneys don't look for loopholes or just don't have time for a good defense.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

the crimes that really make me sick are the ones that con pensioners out of thousands of pounds and their sentence is a fine and a slap on the wrist to not do it again,where is the justice in that?take someones life savings but can still walk from a jail sentence.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

sparky31

the crimes that really make me sick are the ones that con pensioners out of thousands of pounds and their sentence is a fine and a slap on the wrist to not do it again,where is the justice in that?take someones life savings but can still walk from a jail sentence.

Yep, and that brings us back to the banksters and the theft of billions from pension funds.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Dianec

And the bankers have money and therefore attorneys to find every loophole. The wrong people are put in jail - because attorneys don't look for loopholes or just don't have time for a good defense.

The banksters and Wall Streeters don't need loopholes because they are not being charged by the ruling hunta. They (the bad guys) have perfected the control grid and no longer fear reprisal for saying, supporting or doing pretty much *anything*.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
A lot of the less serious crimes are not being prosecuted for lack of funding. There were people convicted of non-violent crimes being released in California to save money, and make space for more serious offenders a short while back. Some calls regarding non-violent or petit offenses are not even followed up on by many police departments in many cities around the country for lack of funds also. they take more and more money every year, like to pick up garbage, and they put the charge for it on your tax bill, then they still don't do the work even after you pay for it by threat of legal force. Sheep allow themselves to be herded around and taken advantage of, people get what they deserve, what they are willing to accept. Bunch of morons pay for nothing, dumb. That's why I don't even participate any more than superficially in this mess, this country has become such a frickin joke....

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Home » News
ICE Released 2,837 Convicted Alien Sex Offenders to Comply With Supreme Court Ruling

There are circumstances in which criminal aliens who have been ordered removed from the United States – including those convicted of a sex offense – cannot be removed,” the report states. “For example, a criminal alien may not be removed because the designated country will not accept the alien’s return.”

So here we have alien sex offenders roaming free.

cnsnews.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

VoidHawk
I dont agree!
I also think the wrong people are locked up.
We lock up thousands of people for victim less crimes, and we let bankers etc who destroy the lives of millions get away with a big fat bonus!

just like this..

Those corporate turds who shaft over lower class workers (and their families) for greed. That should be who goes to prison, WHITE collar criminals along with murderers and rump rangers

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Is a rump ranger the same as a butthole surfer?, why not lock up people we just don't like?, I have self-hate issues, I should put myself in prison. What were we talking about?.

Awww skip it!.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Yes, our criminal justice system is screwed up. Even those who work in it know this. The powerful can do anything they want (with or without facing prosecution), and those less fortunate generally go to prison for petty offenses. That's how I see it. I could point out some stats on race and the prison system in some states but I think most are well aware that proportions are in line with socioeconomic status first and race seems to fall in line behind that sadly. I had one county attorney tell me if he upset the judge he wouldn't be working the next year - it was a game. Or to not go against the judge because the attorney would pay for it later. There is a lot of corruption even in high places that you wouldn't think to look.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
This, I find, is a much deeper subject than it first appears.....as anyone can be framed these days, in a variety of ways. It seems, first of all, we are already in a sort of prison. Then, there is the prison within the prison, if you don't follow the "popular schematics." In other words, if you aren't "down" with the current way of thinking, perhaps you'll have a car wreck or suddenly become very unpopular in your workplace, no matter how popular you were before, nor your record or output of work.....Where I'm going here, and no, i have no proof....and it's made to seem to get us all to the corner of "happy and healthy" via Walgreen's....LOL

But what is it really? It's a LIE......there is nothing happier nor healthier to going along with the status quo, these days. I don't care how many times you jog or work out a week, the "undertow," here and now, is something despicable and dangerous, off the record, where no one can see it.

There are many, I believe, out here, still, who believe and for the most part, don't do despicable things. ....but we are waning, quickly. For if you don't go along, here, with that "undertow" I mentioned, you will be reckoned with.....

It may come in the night, quickly but surreptitiously, creeping into your brain, stealthily, those thoughts and dreams and visions which are not your ownn, and horrify the "real you." And then one day, someone asks you to babysit, or do something for their pet.....and before you know it, there are a magnitude of sickenesses going on in your head, just because you cared. And so you drink ,or whatever, to get rid of that mental haunting. And the depth of your despair just increases, exponentially, for now you're on the radar, as per illegal behavior, even if you're trying to do the "right" thing.

Yeah, I well know, I sound like a crazy schizophrenic, but someone's gotta say it, admit to what has happened to them, while who they once were was replaced with "a picture" of whom they've been made out to be, now.....

There are many, many ways, in this day and age, to make you look guilty, and then make sure you are, of something, later on. And it will be done to you simply because the more powerful person did something horrible to you, so then you had to be made to seem like the criminal. It doesn't pay, LOL, this type of crime: being a victim, and then becoming the perp.

But it is where we are, some of us.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

That's the worst - being made to seem like a criminal when you are not. You get labeled and then it can affect who you are. I believe this happens to more people than we are aware of. It is quite sick when you then see true criminals get away with true wrongs because it isn't about true justice. It's about money and if you have it you escape labels.

I'm not sure even what it is about it but money and power seem to change people into something evil in some cases (not all cases). Some get a free pass because they have it. Some use It to harm others. Clearly systems are affected by it because systems are made up of people. There isn't a perfect system because people aren't perfect, and in fact can be downright out of control. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a machine that shocked people who began to take power in the wrong direction? Oh wait - that's supposed to be a conscience.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
in the u.k it is over £700 per week to keep someone locked up yet you only got £1.4o per day to feed someone .

the courts and jail are not owned by the public they are privately owned they just give the illusion of goverment .

and who benefits by all this the kiddy fiddling judge / sheriff etc it keeps them in a job and that is the long and short of it .

i have had a few goverment sponsored holidays
in my time 90+ % of the people should not be there .

only people who are a danger to the public should be locked up

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Hey Dianec:

Been reading your posts recently and appreciated them.....

Let me say this, when I wrote that, I thought I'd sound crazy and the reaction would be something like, "yeah, well that's cause you're trying to make excuses for yourself, having faced that." I am heartened that someone took what I wrote the right way, understood what I was trying to say.

Our concept of "justice" is currently for sale, in so many different ways, now, in this country.....
For some, it's a revolving door. For others, it can be a snowballing thing.....and once in the system, you can't get out no matter how "right" you try to do, for once in that system, it's very hard to get a job, earn the money that the justic system is demanding of you to get out of it......it's an enclosed circle, to some degree, and very hard to get out of, once encompassed within it..... And judgements, galore, just for your being encompassed within that system.....
Thanks for your reply.
Tetra50

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Of course. I heard what you were saying right away. Unfortunately your are so right. I know people who work with those who have been there (are there) and it isn't about allowing a person to move on - equal to all others so actually able to live a normal life. It entraps them in a life that is full of shame and oppression.

One example of stories I hear a lot of has to do with the sexual offender title. 18 year old has 16 year old girlfriend and parents freak out. He has the label the rest of his life. The same one that a true sex offender has. There is no distinction. It gets my blood boiling to hear these stories. Or someone who does something at a young age and must pay for it forever (drug offense, another bad decision but not so bad to deserve lifelong label).

What they need to do is have a system in place where records are wiped clean when someone has done their time (in or outside of bars), based on the crime and/or age they were when the crime was committed. Drug offenses as an example - if person gets clean and stays clean - fresh start. Make room for the next and give that person something to strive for. Just about anyone can get anything off their record if they have money. I've seen it too much to believe otherwise. So while this system is in place "somewhat" it takes a lot of money to see a record wiped clean.

While the system remains as it does there must be something people can do to empower themselves - to come back to the person they once were before a mistake or being wrongfully labeled took them into that place of no return (life like one knows it is over). Beginning a business, writing a book, something that gives them a purpose. That gives meaning to their life again.

I believe people can heal from it but I know it can't be easy. I've worked with (as you may have guessed by now - young people in this boat). I believe at any age one can heal and take their power back. This usually means accepting there is somehow a reason for it. Accepting it. Getting there is the toughest part. Especially if wrongfully accused. But believing there is a purpose for absolutely everything - some kind of bigger meaning we might not see yet but one day will. I make it sound easy. It isn't. I just say don't be a statistic for this system. Find meaning in it - even if it seems very tiny. It will grow.
edit on 16-9-2013 by Dianec because: Saw an error after posted

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I'm getting ready to go to jail for my second DUI, tomorrow, with no test, cause I wasn't drunk, anyway, but had a wreck and broke my ribs in the wreck so I couldn't do a blow test.....

Because of the area I was in, with a black man in my car, they profiled me for drugs and spent an hour searching my car after I hit a parked car, avoiding a cat in the road.....Then arrested me with 6 broken ribs, for DUI. Handcuffed me so tightly with broken ribs, it cut my wrists and I bled, quite a bit....

I don't have the money to pay the fines.
got an open container ticket, along with it, for the passenger in my car with an open beer. Gave me the citation , along with the DUI. Have been convicted on the open container, and don't have the money for that, before I even go to trial for the DUI, which I've elected to take to trial, since I was not drunk, and they haven't a test....

But there is a warrant and bond revocation out on me as they've already convicted me on the open container; and I have to go to court tomorrow for the DUI trial, with the warrant.. So, I'll very likely be arrested for that attachement, before the DUI trial, even....

so that's my story. Sick of this system.
Tetra50
ETA: Thanks for listening and being sympathetic.....
The rest is a very long story.....as we all have these days

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

It's pretty risky of an officer to charge you with a DUI with no proof. I had an officer tell a friend of mine she was drunk. Insisted and she said "go ahead - test me". He finally believed her. She had brushed her teeth and used mouth wash right before leaving to run to the store. She saw a wrecked vehicle and knew the person so stopped. She spoke with him and when getting ready to leave he accused her. I think common sense is not so common anymore.

I'm sure you will be fine. No test = no proof = they can't do anything. Good luck to you. This too shall pass.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

tetra50
This, I find, is a much deeper subject than it first appears.....as anyone can be framed these days, in a variety of ways.

I have a hunch that the issue of people getting framed ("to make up evidence or contrive events so as to incriminate (a person) falsely") is more common that someone might believe. Also, a group of people might try to allure somebody to make risky choices, which lead to doing something illegal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join