It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Watched this last night and thought it was very well done, both in content and acting.

The East
This movie made me think of ATS and I think some of you may dig it.
Here is where you can watch it streaming. It is a frank look at the issues and some ugly truths from both sides. One thing that stood out was an executive's explanation for the injustices and it was, to no surprise, to keep the economy and energy going, as well as they just don't know what to do with toxic waste. No one wants to pay the high price of properly disposing of materials and short cuts occur. This is true, but there has to be some middle ground somewhere. The movie reveals how some investigators/informants see a truth they were unaware of and are left with mixed feelings.

Peace,
spec
edit on 16-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I def want to see this! The story line is very interesting. I also love the actors in the movie.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I've watched it, and enjoyed it, but I wish it had been a bit more realistic.
It had the potential but was, in my opinion, a bit corny where the activists were concerned.
I'd like to see something similar but done with an infiltration of the Black Bloc, that could be interesting.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I watched this movie last weekend. It was ok but could have been better though, it kinda dragged a little bit.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOutcast

SPOILER ALERT
What did you find unrealistic about? The about face attitude from the agent? I thought that was a bit fluffy, but it seemed like it could happen as well. I liked how it illuminated a truth regarding details of certain injustices and showed that there are genuine concerns about some practices from industries. The change of heart seemed genuine.
I am going to watch another film called The Informant,(not theMatt Damon one) that is a true story about a left wing radical turned informant.

IMDB
This looks vey intriguing.
Thanks for the reply.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

Yea, I sensed a bit of dragging as well, and thought there would be more action, but I was still satisfied.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Hey, I just finished watching that movie, lol. (I thought, 'Geez that would be a good one to discuss on ATS', and then 'poof'...you beat me to it!)
I thought it was good.
At first I thought it would be a larger organization of people, bigger and better 'jams'....but then, maybe that would have been TOO Hollywood production?
All in all, it's always good to see the 'little people' fighting back!
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Hey jacygirl!

At first I thought it would be a larger organization of people, bigger and better 'jams'....but then, maybe that would have been TOO Hollywood production?

Me too, but I still think keeping it more intimate had it's beneficial effects. When her father did what he did was quite a surprise and I can't help but think there are many(?) in those positions that have some degree of guilt for their practices. So many folks in those positions of power have become detached, and over time they just don't feel anymore. Not that they should all be mushy empaths or anything(like I feel sometimes)
, but it seems so much effort goes into the now verses concern or balance for the future. The CEO lady's spiel about why was spot on and it is sad that it is just how it is.

I think the other movie linked will be good also.
edit on 16-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Hey speculativeoptimist! (great name!)
I agree, the intimacy of the smaller group was well played.
I'd also like to think that some corp. honchos have consciences buried deep somewhere under a LOT of alcohol and narcotics, lol....but I still wonder if some of them...just don't care.
Yes, the other movie looks good too!
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

I found the character legends a bit unbelievable.
The privileged girl that turns against her Dad, (even if it was for a valid reason) just didn't work for me.
Most of the main activists had become radicalized through extreme personal experience, it would have worked better for me if they had based the characters on real activists, real people.
They seemed to be out to get revenge for personal grievances.
Had they been targeting the powers that be, that would have seemed more genuine, for me anyway.

Have you seen the documentary that "The Informant" is based on?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Yea I think some of these elites are psychopathic, by definition, and have hardened themselves to not be affected by emotion. This is a strength I understand, but can be taken too far. The psychologists at Nuremberg trials defined evil as total lack of empathy, and described the nazi's in this fashion.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOutcast

I feel ya, it was a little soft and not quite what I expected, but I still dug it. I am going to watch that doc and movie soon and post about it. I did think they were targeting some TPTB though?
Thanks

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Brit Marling is the actress who plays the lead. Marling co-wrote the screenplay with director Zal Batmanglij. Marling and Batmanglij collaborated on another film, Sound of My Voice. Marling also co-wrote and starred in Another Earth, directed by Mike Cahill. Both Sound of My Voice and Another Earth are Sci-Fi, but more than that. I continue to be impressed with Marling's work.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jahn369

I did not know, much thanks! I will have to watch these this wknd.

top topics

join