It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for all the anti-gun folks

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

chiefsmom
reply to post by greavsie1971

Well, I guess I don't see it as directly off topic, as I try to see the bigger picture. If you are allowed to have a gun in your country for hunting, then you have it in your home, correct? So, wouldn't you then at least have that gun available, if someone broke into your home, with a gun? So, you could in fact protect your family? But would you face more dire consequences for doing so, then say, us in America?
That is just where I was going, I don't always get my explanation out in typing, as clear as it is in my brain.

And I have no problem with other countries not having guns, as I don't live there and it's not my business. As long as someone from another country respects our right to do so here, as that is a right our country was founded on. Since we have had that right for generations, it is felt very strongly here.

and this is exactly the point i think a lot of us always try to make in these threads...

your country works this way, ours works this way....when these threads happen, it's always about the US, it's usually an american posting them, and it's usually about our lunatic government trying to deprive us of protected rights, with some kind of underhanded, back door end run around the protections....

and we end up with this gaggle of talking heads from other countries, trying to convince us that we shouldn't be bothered by it, because we don't need guns, when they are utterly unqualified (even less so than our own government) to tell us what we do and don't need...

it's like how we have that idiot piers morgan on TV here....he's the mouthpiece of countless agendas, supported by the federal government, including the disarming of american citizens...

i respect that different countries have different ways of running....i'm not out to impose my beliefs on citizens of another country, or tell them how to run their lives...all i expect is that they do the same..

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

0rbital
''Don't take mah gurrrns''...........''Don't take mah gurrrns''.......sickening.

You don't need guns when you've got balls.

what is sickening is your juvenile, over-simplication of a very important topic, in addition to mixing it with an offensive stereotype, pandering to the lowest common denominator...way to go on making the forum equivalent of a Molotov cocktail...in other words, goo job on making a completely ridiculous, and totally incendiary statement...

would you care to argue the facts now?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

roughycannon
reply to post by LaWnDarTs

So because of a meat cleaver attack we should arm the entire population of a country with guns? brilliant...

Nearly every mass shooting is a gun free zone? again brilliant... I think the key words here are "MASS SHOOTING"

Rather than ban the guns and take them off the streets so the high school kids can't get their hands on them in the first place and stop the problem at its root cause lets just arm the entire population with guns... BRILLIANT!

i don't think anyone here has advocated arming everyone with guns....i'm not sure where you got that from..

i believe the point he was trying to make is that guns aren't the problem, people are. the answer is not to take away the guns, or the knives, or anything else for that matter.....the solution is to teach responsible ownership, teach safety, teach responsibility...return society to a state where these things don't happen.

mass shootings most often take place in "gun free zones", which creates a target-rich environment, with very little chance of immediate resistance, and little chance of strong intermediately delayed resistance....the majority of the people that commit these crimes are on prescription psychiatric drugs, and may, or may not, already be predisposed to violence, or other socially unacceptable behavior....

as shown in other instances, these kinds of crimes can be also be committed with knives, so the problem is not the weapon, it's the person committing the crime.....

you're missing the point.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

boymonkey74
Oh dear oh dear another thread with people saying we in the UK are not free and are cowering behind our doors scared because we can not defend ourselves....

I respect that you lot in the USA want guns, that is your own culture and you can keep it.

Here in the UK we just don't want them, don't need them and If I did want one I could get one legally, I often go to my local gunsmith to buy stuff for camping and appreciate the craftsmanship in some of his firearms (must admit got my eye an a blunderbus), why do threads like this always turn into a USvUK when we all know there is only one place which starts with GREAT

GREAT Britain, love my country as much as you guys in the states love your own, so please respect that we know more about our country, the crime figures, the actual crime which takes place and our wishes that we do not want everyone walking around with AR-15s and we will do the same.

I got mugged once in manchester when I was 19 and the guy had a pistol, he mugged me for a fag

edit on 18-9-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

lol, he mugged you for that? why not just take your money, and buy a pack? that's just low

honestly, i don't think anyone here is advocating that everyone in england be armed with AR-15s...and it usually only becomes a US vs UK thing when people from the UK talk about how wonderful it is over there, and how us yanks are dumb, and less civilized because we have guns....i don't really think any less of your average subject of the crown, because of their lack of armament...i respect the differences in our societies...i might not completely agree with them, but i'm not gonna sit here and call you lot stupid, or less civilized, or in any other way imply that you're less than i am, simply because i disagree with the way your government functions. my beef would be with your government, not you..

ETA: also, you know your country, we know ours.....that's the thing though, we don't know the entirety of our countries....some places are good, some are less good, and some are bad.....for those of us who live in good parts, and don't pay attention, we might be under the mistaken impression that our whole country is like where we are....in the town i'm in, i may be completely safe, and have absolutely no need for a gun...but in another town, it might be so utterly screwed, that i'd be insane not to have a weapon for protection....

it's one of those "your mileage may vary" kinda deals..
edit on 26-9-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

You sir seem to have a realistic grasp on the situation and thanks for the support, starred your last few posts.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Don't get your knickers in a twist. If the Op's arguement was as diplomatic as yours he wouldn't have got the responses he did. Your arguement about it being 'people' that are the problem...not guns....is true but guns make it easier for stupid people to kill and there's a 'lot' of stupid people around. Anyhow, it's too late to disarm the American people, it's too ingrained into their culture and there's too many guns already out there so it's pointless to debate.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 0rbital

And what argument was that? I opened the thread with two questions and was met with cynical viewpoints and attempts at belittling me and insulting my intelligence. I think maybe one anti-gun person made an attempt to answer the questions which I in turn pointed out that in my opinion they were not satisfactory answers.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

0rbital

Don't get your knickers in a twist. If the Op's arguement was as diplomatic as yours he wouldn't have got the responses he did. Your arguement about it being 'people' that are the problem...not guns....is true but guns make it easier for stupid people to kill and there's a 'lot' of stupid people around. Anyhow, it's too late to disarm the American people, it's too ingrained into their culture and there's too many guns already out there so it's pointless to debate.

naah, i'm not stressed...i just saw some things i wanted to reply to...i noticed the thread was a little old, but i figured i'd see if i got any bites..

i like a good conversation.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join