It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly Found Asteroid To Fly Between Earth and Moon On September 18th

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I frequently watch the sky, and I noticed an increase in meteorites in recent times, to the extent that I never really seen many, but now they are pretty common..... unless of course they are not meteorites, and might be some of the little grey/green guys zippin around their astral racetrack.... still the mother-in-law is staying for a couple of days, so I'm safe, they wouldn't dare tackle her...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Druid42
Wee bitty 10 feet wide rocks are pretty hard to see at 1 AU or more. Thus the short notice.

It's not harmful, not even close to Earth. Besides, something that small would be a drop of water in a hot frying pan. Remember, we have ionizing plasma protecting our little green and blue planet.

Yup and even if it reached Earth intact, the destruction would be minimal.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

10 feet wide.

Oh that's nothing , my front yard is bigger than that.This rock if it would have hit earth my guess would be that it probably burned up in the atmosphere ?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The linked source in the OP is giving credit to NASA, but I'm not seeing anything about this on NASA's website, even after specifically searching for it on their site. ??? What's up with that.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Time2Think
The linked source in the OP is giving credit to NASA, but I'm not seeing anything about this on NASA's website, even after specifically searching for it on their site. ??? What's up with that.

What the "Credit: NASA" in the link probably means is that the orbital diagram for object 2013 RZ53 is "Credit: NASA" (i.e., the orbital diagram is a NASA/JPL applet)

NASA/JPL Small-Body Database Browser -- Asteroid 2013 RZ53
Note: viewing the diagram in the link requires the installation of a java applet

The is nothing in the regular "search: on the NASA homepage, but if you can start from the home page of the small-body database browser...

Link to browser:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

...and put "2013 RZ53" in the search bar (the browser search bar, not the "Search JPL" search bar), you will get orbital information on the asteroid.

edit on 9/17/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Ok, I think I get what you mean. Is the asteroid sort of orbiting Earth? (If Earth is in the middle of the loop, as you say, it's going around us, right?)

Now I want to know what the asteroid in the vid is orbiting around?!!! Just sort of loop-de-loops around the sun? Weird!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

thebtheb
When you think about the fact that the dinosaurs existed untouched for 150 million years, it isn't hard to imagine that "the big one" or an ELE event might be a very seldom occurrence.
edit on 17-9-2013 by thebtheb because: (no reason given)

That is a very valid point my friend. Course, I believe that this Universe is like a pool table, anything can happen at any time. It's not about time though, it's about chance (or destiny like the brainwashed choose to label it).

Funny how it was the Illuminati who created the game of pool. It's all about the ancient knowledge of exploding stars, Comets, Asteroids and roaming Moons. Good luck finding any proof of that assumption though cause they covered their ass very good in that department.

So sorry to break all the yes men's hearts here at ATS. There will be no need for any infection of thread Shillism, none will be required here. ~$heopleNation
edit on 17-9-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

The diminutive space rock, named 2013 RZ53, poses no threat to Earth. At just 3 to 10 feet (1 to 3 meters) in diameter, the asteroid would burn up in Earth's atmosphere if it got on a collision course with the planet, scientists say.

2013 RZ53 will not strike Earth on this pass, however. The asteroid will miss the planet by more than 148,000 miles (230,800 kilometers) when it makes its closest approach today at 6:20 p.m. EDT (2220 GMT), according to data collected by the Minor Planet Center, a Massachusetts-based clearinghouse for information about comets and asteroids.

Tiny Asteroid to Give Earth a Close Shave Today

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

new_here
...Now I want to know what the asteroid in the vid is orbiting around?!!! Just sort of loop-de-loops around the sun? Weird!

Asteroids are part of the solar system, and just about all things in the solar system orbit the Sun. This asteroid (just like the planets and almost all other asteroids and comets) orbits the Sun.

Some comets that orbit the sun make return appearances every so many years, and just like comets, Asteroids can make return appearances close to Earth as they orbit the Sun. Asteroid 99942 Apophis, for example, is a near-earth asteroid that has an orbital period of about 324 days (so it goes around the Sun once every 324 days). It does not come very close to the Earth on every one of those orbits -- HOWEVER, It is predicted to be very near the Earth in 2029 and again in 2036.

edit on 9/18/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

wildespace
reply to post by new_here

Well, it doesn't always follow behind. Rather, it slowly catches up with us, then goes ahead, then slows down and falls behind, then catches up again. It's a quasi-satellite of Earth.

It travels a bit like in this video, except imagine the Earth in the middle of the "loop":

Wildspace --

Your video shows a Trojan Asteroid (Asteroid 2010 TK7). A Trojan Asteroid is and asteroid that orbits about a Lagrangian point (as it also obits the Sun).

The asteroid that is the subject of this thread (2013 RZ53) is not a Trojan (i.e., it does not orbit a Lagrangian point), but rather simply orbits the Sun on an elliptical orbit similar to Earth's orbit:

Orbit of 2013 RZ53:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

new_here

Is it just me, or are these things (asteroids, comets, fireballs) popping up 'out of nowhere' these days with increasing frequency, with little or no warning. Sheesh! Thanks to the University that spotted this. No thanks to NASA for spending gazzillions sending probes all over the place, yet failing to position just one at a distance, Earth-facing, to keep an eye out for 'In-Coming!!!" Not Helpful!

2013-2014 the earth is going through the most dense sections of the asteroid belt which have more and bigger space junk.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Yes I know it's orbiting the sun.

But it is (in the vid) doing curly-q's AS it orbits the sun. Like it is orbiting around something on its journey around the sun. (Like the Moon orbits the Earth whilst going around the sun.)

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Euphony

new_here

Is it just me, or are these things (asteroids, comets, fireballs) popping up 'out of nowhere' these days with increasing frequency, with little or no warning. Sheesh! Thanks to the University that spotted this. No thanks to NASA for spending gazzillions sending probes all over the place, yet failing to position just one at a distance, Earth-facing, to keep an eye out for 'In-Coming!!!" Not Helpful!

2013-2014 the earth is going through the most dense sections of the asteroid belt which have more and bigger space junk.

Earth does not pass through the asteroid belt. The asteroid belt is between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.

In addition, Earth is NOT passing through a different section of the solar system in 2013-2014 than it normally does during other years. Earth is passes through the same parts of the solar system on a one-year basis -- i.e., it is passing through the same part of the solar system today as it did one year ago today (considering an orbit = one year).

That's why certain meteor showers happen at the same time every year. Each year (in one-year cycles), the Earth enters a portion of it's orbit that conatains dust left over from a comet that passed through that section of Earth's orbit. That dust hangs around there for many years, and each time the earth passes through that area (once per year as it orbits), we see a meteor shower.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Euphony

new_here

Yeah, I was thinking maybe something along those lines. We could use some traffic lights out there!

Edit: Just saw Green's post and realized you said asteroid belt, not galazy. I agree with him/her... but I remember reading about our solar system traveling thru a dense cloud of... something.
edit on 9/18/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Wildspace --

Your video shows a Trojan Asteroid (Asteroid 2010 TK7). A Trojan Asteroid is and asteroid that orbits about a Lagrangian point (as it also obits the Sun).

Yes, this is what I was talking about (although I had never known of the concept or term before.) But this is what I was referring to in the vid.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
double post.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The Earth does not pass through a different part of the Solar System this year as opposed to past years. It will not pass though a more dense part of the Solar system in 2013 than it did in 2012 or even in 2000.

The stuff in the solar system (asteroids, comets, planets, etc.) all move together. The Earth passes through the same parts of the solar system once per year on one-year cycles.

FOR EXAMPLE:
The Aquarid Meteor shower happens every May -- every year. That meteor shower is caused by Earth passing through a part of its orbit (every year) that is littered with dust from Halley's comet, which last came by that part of the Solar system in 1986. That dust and debris has been hanging around that portion of earth's orbit around the sun for the past 37 years (at least). Therefore, every time the earth passes through that section of its orbit (every year, once a year, in the first week of May), we get a meteor shower.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Pretty neat that they found another, and as many do it will safely fly passed us. I think it's a bit unfair to claim that NASA, an organization that has spawned huge advances for humanity, is purposefully ignoring or otherwise intentionally keeping the public in the dark about these things. The organization does phenomenal work with the budget they have, which is shockingly low compared to most other departments in the U.S.; and are involved in numerous projects that means they are rarely just watching the sky for asteroids. They have people that are actually tasked with that, but they can only watch so much sky.

Hence the boon for the amaetur and private astronomers and why we've gained so much by the increasing availability of quality, high powered optics for the average person.

I also think the concerns about "increasing numbers of meteorites", that is to say, "ones that survive to hit terra firma" is a bit over-hyped. The American Meteor Society and the Meteorological Society have numbers between around 100 and 200 impacts per year in a larger than 10 gram size. Some studies cite upwards of 70,000 tons of meteorites hit the Earth per year, though those appear to be older studies.

I think what we are really seeing is just the result of increased areas of human population and, more importantly, the huge improvements in high-speed internet and social media access in remote areas. Areas where a meteor may fall, and no one would hear know about it save for dedicated hunters and scientists can now be reported on via Twitter, Facebook, and the conglomerate of MSM sources.

Twenty years ago you could have a big fireball light up the sky, and while the local media would be on it immediately, it could take up to a few days or even a week to cover U.S. media. If it happened in a foreign country, you'd be lucky to ever hear about it unless major damage occurred.

Now though, the instant it happens there can be literally thousands of people reporting it across to their hundreds of online friends, covering millions of people in a matter of minutes. Even small impactors can be reported by any person who happens to catch it, greatly increasing the public awareness of it.

For people like us, who watch just about everything closer, it's no wonder it seems so alarming - but I still feel this is, ultimately, just that things that would normally have flown well under the radar are more easily caught.
edit on 18-9-2013 by UnmitigatedDisaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Euphony

new_here

Absolutely and completely "horse manure".

The Earth does not leave it's orbit about the sun to wander about the solar system. If it did, it would be quite obvious that it was wandering around as the position of the other planets in our sky would be all over the place and not where they are suppose to be according to charts.

If the Earth had moved out of it's orbit and wandered into the inner asteroid belt region, we would notice four other things:

1) It would be a LOT colder everywhere on the Earth, as we would now be in the frost zone (to far from the sun for liquid water to exist).

2) Looking at Mars, it is no longer further from the sun than us, but would now be closer to the sun. Because of that, when viewing Mars through a telescope, it would appear to have Phases like the Moon, Mercury and Venus do.

3) Jupiter would look a LOT larger in my telescope eyepiece (as would Saturn).

4) The sun would appear smaller in the sky.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Depends on the frame of reference, I guess. If you follow Earth in that orbit video, the asteroid seems to kinda make slow stretched out loops around Earth. This, and the fact that it has very low speed relative to Earth, explains the suggestion from Leonid Elenin that it may be a man-made rocket stage. By the way, I asked for an animation of the asteroid's orbit that centeres on Earth, and that will hopefully illustrate what I mean. Leonid promised to make one soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join