It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School AP History Book Rewrites 2nd Amendment

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

daskakik
What a joke, the book was first published in 2003. Only took 10 years for a vigilant citizen to make it known and 14 of the 15 pages of negative comments on amazon are dated on or after the publication date of the dailypaul article.

Wow, so because it's from 2003 we should ignore it now that we know? Sounds like you would have said, "Don't expose the Piltdown Man, it's over 40 years old now! When it was exposed and evolutionists have had egg all over their face since then, it's the typical "Don't point out our lies, shut up shut up shut up you knuckle dragging idiots!"

Well, we do find the lies and we expose them at every turn no matter how long the they have been sitting there. The best antidote to lies is the truth, and what better time than the present to expose them?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Frettin
I am pro-gun, but I don't get what the outrage is all about. If you read the page it clearly says that these are summarized.....

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I respectfully disagree.

Unless you can make a case otherwise, a summary does not change the facts of the statement. Therein lies the peril of revisionist history.

This summary quite concisely limited the amendment to confer a state militia's right to be armed; and utterly excluded the specific right enumerated in the Constitution to individual citizens.

Clearly - but perhaps not maliciously - the author of this summary offers what he or she thinks (as a presumed expert educator) of the amendment... and not a summary at all.

The big deal is in the power of words... and who gets to write them.

Testing our kids on their ability to recall incorrect information seems counterproductive to the art of pedagogy.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Frettin

You can take that stand, but I stand by what I said. They chose that wording on purpose as summary to push the militia aspect as opposed to the individual's rights. They could have easily summed up the 2nd amendment " The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

They chose to say otherwise.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

The rage, whether real or fake, is a joke, 10 years after the fact.

Ooh, your going to expose them, bringing forth the shining light of truth. Whatever.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

If it's wrong, it's wrong...
Doesn't matter when it happened, it needs to be fixed
If you don't fix it you're perpetuating a lie to future generations

The rage is real too - it's not like we've been stewing on this for the past 10 years - just found out about it today

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

coldkidc

If it's wrong, it's wrong...
Doesn't matter when it happened, it needs to be fixed
If you don't fix it you're perpetuating a lie to future generations

More hyperbole. It isn't like the original text isn't available or if this is somehow going to replace it.

The rage is real too - it's not like we've been stewing on this for the past 10 years - just found out about it today

Real or not it is still a joke because it's a 10 year old summary.
edit on 16-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
A casual search of the book's title reveals that this book is essentially a Cliff's Notes version of the curriculum and should be used in conjunction with a real college level text. When I took these courses nearly 20 years ago we had the exact same thing. The real textbook we used had a 10 page section dedicated to each amendment, and the book itself was a good 800 pages.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

It's not hyperbole, it's fact.
What you are looking at is a textbook.
You are teaching from it. Most of your average students will blindly accept that the textbook is absolute fact.

What's your problem with fixing it? You don't think it should be corrected?

Oh, and 10 years isn't a long time - it's a fraction of the 200+ years the amendment has been around.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

It isn't a text book.

Check the post above yours.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by angrypsycho1977

It is a textbook - assigned by the teacher...not cliffnotes...

This text is designed for a one-semester or one-year United States history course for students preparing to take the AP U.S. History Exam. Teachers can assign the book as the course textbook or as a supplement to a college-level textbook. U.S. History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination presents the history of the United States from pre-Columbian times to the Obama administration. It follows the curriculum put out by the College Board for this course of study. Thirty

United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination

edit on 16-9-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
And in all this right wing gun lust, there is no mention that a popular student from that very high school was murdered just a few days ago. www.nbcdfw.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

There is nothing remotely benign about this. The Federal Government holds the future of our country in their hands - and I don't mean what they do or don't do, I mean they are pulling the education strings and this type of blatant misrepresentation of the rights of all Americans is nothing new.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Constitution could loosely be referred to as a set of guidelines which explains in plain English what this Govt. can and cannot do to its people and specifically states what they "must" do. We already know that they don't do what they must because they are too involved in things that they cannot.

It should be extremely suspect when an organization spends a great deal of its time doing everything in its power to erode and degrade the very document that serves as a protection for that organizations constituents.

This has to stop. This is not new, ATS could devote an entire section to parents discovery of Constitutional and historical misrepresentations being perpetuated in this "federal" education system.

These kids are our future, everything that has been paid for the freedoms afforded stands to be lost for lack of knowledge and it has fallen on our generation to stop it in its tracks. We must win back the hearts and minds of our youth or we stand to lose it all.

edit on 16-9-2013 by WWJFKD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Blurb vs blurb:

Amsco School Publications Incorporated, Jan 1, 2003 - Juvenile Nonfiction - 704 pages
[This book] was designed to be used by students as a review text in the weeks prior to taking the AP U.S. history examination in May. At the same time, the book was also conceived as a guide to accompany a year-long course in AP or honors U.S. history. It may be used to bridge the gap between the typical textbook used in these courses and the needs of AP history candidates, who must be able to deal successfully with a challenging exam.-Pref.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

OK - you don't want a blurb...that's fine...how about the school assigning it to the students as their textbook then?

It's not "cliffnotes" as so described above - it was assigned to the student as a required textbook.

Even worse, it's for an AP class...the students that are the most likely students to continue on & become our future lawyers & judges.

It needs to be fixed...and sounds like it probably will be on September 24th if you read the article...I may go to the meeting just to watch the show...

ETA: I'd be even more interested to find out is what the answer on the test says...
edit on 16-9-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

FlyersFan
Man ... that's pretty bad! WOW. Good catch!
That's either agenda on the part of the writer ... or stupidity.
(Or perhaps both)

Television and childrens education are absolute pillars of control - it is categorically agenda driven.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

UnifiedSerenity
reply to post by Frettin

You can take that stand, but I stand by what I said. They chose that wording on purpose as summary to push the militia aspect as opposed to the individual's rights. They could have easily summed up the 2nd amendment " The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

They chose to say otherwise.

In times of oppression, such as the times in which we live - people should be visibly armed at all times. The peoples ability to exercise this right to bear arms visibly at all times has definitely been infringed - time to take back the power imo.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Don't they know all Americans need guns in order for their kids to be shot?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

No problem with the blurb but the recommendation from the publisher is that it be used along side a text book or for review in preperation for the AP exam.

How the school chose to use it does not change its intended purpose.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Perhaps...but don't you think it should be corrected?

You do agree that interpretation has no legal grounds, right?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
We still have guns in the UK but they're heavily licenced hey presto, no shootings in schools, go figure! So many Americans going waaaa waaa I need my toys! Who are you protecting yourselves against? Other people like you with guns, yeah we still have gun crime but like other countries where guns are regulated more heavily it's at a minimum. And yes still no school shootings. Wake up Americans and stop being so selfish, new amendments can and have been added like the abolishment of slavery (the thirteenth) you're probably against that too right? No wonder you're a laughing stock.
edit on 16-9-2013 by Daemondoll because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join