It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School AP History Book Rewrites 2nd Amendment

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This just further reinforces that one of the most important things you can teach your children is to QUESTION THEIR EDUCATION. My mother is a public school teacher, and even she admits that she wouldn't be comfortable as a parent sending children to school with the current system in place.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

ownbestenemy
The OPs claims are not that far off.

In your opinion.

Looking at things for what they really are without knee-jerk suspicion makes for a different opinion.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

If this is a Advanced Placement level exam, now I know why so many of todays college grads are such dolts. There are many villages missing their idiots, but they probably don't want them back either.

You know, to be 100% dead serious here for a moment? Your note above is precisely why I have the patience of Job himself at times when it comes to some issues (some topics..lol) of debate on here and other places around the net. I try to remember, not everyone is stupid. Many are ignorant by having been taught wrong or never taught anything on a subject at all .....and how many folks have the time to spend hours a day or hundreds of hours a year doing absolutely nothing at all but reading to educate those gaps schooling left?

Given ATS membership figures? It's real scary...but I'll bet a fair % of those who do educate themselves are already here ... or they are drawn to other sites like this, if not real world organizations of generally like minded people. Not many of the overall herd, I'm willing to wager. Not near enough.

*In reading this back over, I can see how over the top aloof it may seem. It's not meant that way in any form. I'm editing to simply add that "why are you even bothering with .......(insert name of thread here)" is a note I've gotten a number of times. I'll bet many here have. The horrid...absolutely HORRID education system and lack of fault to those produced from it ...is the reasoning. (At least until it's time to agree to disagree...lol)
edit on 16-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Montana

camaro68ss
only gives you more ammo, pun Intended, to home school your kids.

Or just be involved with your child's education, as this parent was, so you can catch any inaccuracies or falsehoods.

Yes, that is a great idea, but how many of you are going through your children's text books? They are indoctrinating children and they know parents are too tired from busting their butts to pay for basic living expenses to do that. This is right in line with the Marxist 10 planks.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Not really just in my opinion; Heller v. District of Colombia agrees with that thinking I have presented. A glossed over representation of a profound political treatise is ignorant, not just for the Second Amendment, but also for any of the other concepts presented.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

What does a Supreme Court case on firearm ownership have to do with Cliffs Notes?

Just because other's share your opinion doesn't mean that it isn't just an opinion.

edit on 16-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

So "Cliff notes" can present one side to an ongoing and contentious debate? That is the crux of the issue at hand. This debate is as old as the ink that dried when James Madison penned the Second Amendment.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Seriously, I would prefer to think this was just some dumba.$ who truly doesn't know or realize what he's done. Give me a moment, I was trying to catch a quick cat nap.

I guess the next question is: "what has everyone done about this" Personally, I'm sending the school an email of my displeasure. When I find the book publisher, they get the same.

Seriously, we should do much more than simply voice our opinions to each other. Tell the schools and publishers every time, maybe it will slow down.

The founders of this country went to great lengths to prevent changes to the constitution, and keep it the "will" of the people. It seems they have been trumped by technology. TPTB have discovered it only takes a typesetter.

edit on 16-9-2013 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

theMediator

bigfatfurrytexan
I dont homeschool. But i do educate them at home. Then send them back to reeducate their teacher

Yes and then they fail from speaking against the teacher. :p

I flunked half of my post-high school degrees because I just wouldn't nod to lies and disinformation.

No matter, the price of truth is invaluable.
edit on 16-9-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

A weak parent allows their children to be railroaded. I am not such a parent.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Might be the crux for you but that is only because you are want to see it that way.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

How so? Since you are into these one lined quips with nothing really to say....

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

There is not much to say. You are making it out to be more than it really is, comparing an insignificant condensed version of the second to supreme court cases and debates that are hundreds of years old.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

This is not insignificant, because the very arguments used by anti-gun ownership people say that it's for the military and militia, when the founders made a point to write about those two separate groups. They had just gotten over fighting "state" militias and it was only by the PEOPLE bearing arms that they fought them off!

To educate children that it's about militia / military having guns, then in 20 years or so when the debate swells again, they will have them actually believing it's about militias and not the people. So, it is not insignificant the the majority who understand why that amendment was done.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

The place where it appears makes it insignificant. It isn't meant to be an in depth analisys of the amendments, a rebuttal in the on going debate or even a faithful copy.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

You read the text book and know they did a proper explanation of the second amendment? I did not see that analysis in this information. If you have a link to that textbook, please share it.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

It's a book for preparing for an advanced placement exam so, it is likely that nothing is covered properly.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The Constitution is so short that it does not need any Cliff notes. Are today's teachers and students really that lazy?

I could see War and Peace having Cliff notes, or maybe even the various law suits surrounding the Constitution, but the document itself is a pretty easy read.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well it's a book for preping for a history exam, not just the constitution.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Its a good thing that the supreme court ruled that any person who is mentally and physically fit is part of a state militia by default a couple decades ago. If it wasnt for that ruling, we would all be screwed...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

daskakik
Meh, condensed content for studying for an exam.

Some people have an uncontrollable itch to cry wolf for every little thing.

Textbook version: "The people have a right to keep and bear arms in a state militia."

Actual 2nd Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Now what was that 'little thing' about "condensed" ?

Obviously the clear intent is to mislead people into believing "The People" don't have the right to bear arms.

Anybody that doesn't see that is clearly all in favor of eradicating:

" the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed "

The Saul Alinsky tactics are exposed I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join