It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss America crowns 1st winner of Indian descent; racist tweets flow

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

derfreebie

beezzer
She's hot!

Ditto, Beez! A star for the obvious winner. Her port side jet-propelled eyebrow is sexier than my last three girl friends and ex wife all put together. And I wonder if she was even trying... as for ethnicity, I care not. And as a resident of a western Chicago suburb that produced THREE Miss Americas, I know my subject matter.

Sorry now I threw out the TV 2 1/2 years ago *sigh*.

But this girl who won cares what her ethnicity is, danced an Indian dance, and is being promoted as of Indian descent.

All of these things would appear to not be "American".. it is indeed strange that I see far hotter girls than her on a daily basis, anywhere I go, many Indian girls as well...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

semperfortis
reply to post by neformore

I would imagine there are these same kinds of bigoted and racist individuals in every country, even England..

While the show is watched by millions, I am fairly sure the number of people exposing their ignorance was a VERY small fraction

The fact that she won is actually a very satisfying indicator that what the Founding Fathers envisioned is still coming true..

I applaud her and the judges

Well said.

And to put things into perspective ,that its not just an "American Problem".....

Race, culture and religion are understandably complex, confused, and often conflated, but some sections of the press deliberately stoke the fires of discontent without ever really letting them ignite; others are simply lazy, using terms like ‘Asians’ (placing the subjects in one of approximately 50 countries of origin – not politically incorrect, just imprecise) and talking only to self-appointed, self-important ‘community leaders’ for the low-effort minority representation voice. Meanwhile parts of real Britain smoulder with a tension that mounts by the day as the economic situation worsens, a trend seen across Europe and beyond.

We still have a race problem

You are going to have these type of problems when the media, and those willing to keep this type of negativity in the spotlight get their soapbox to do it.

edit on 402013999131 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

So here goes the joke's first draft trial run.. (please note that this is a purely fictional joke. any resemblance to "real" people places or things is purely coincidental and is not intended to offend anyone in particular).

The Joke (told as if I'm an American):
I'm an American and I'm not racist and neither are any of my friends or my extended family. To prove it, I can tell you in all honesty that the best man at my own wedding was black and if anyone present so much as whispered the N word, everyone else there would have had his back, and he was the only black man there.

crickets..

edit on 17-9-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

neformore

No sooner had the tiara been placed atop her head than a barrage of racist tweets flooded the Internet.

"If you're #Miss America you should have to be American," said one.

"WHEN WILL A WHITE WOMAN WIN #MISSAMERICA? Ever??!!" screamed another.

Nina Davuluri is American. She just happens to be of Indian descent. In fact, she's the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America.

America - you have a problem.

For years now a whole load of racist nonsense has gone unchecked.

Born out of the "war on terror", hateful rhetroic from right wing politicians, blog posters and organised racist groups together with an apparent general ignorance of the world at large misconceptions about peoples origions have been allowed to fester and multiply and this kind of thing is the result.

Now I know that these people do not represent the majority of Americans, but the fact of the matter is that they represent a certain section of the populace, and the question is this - how can this ignorance be denied - this kind of thing harms the US activelt across the globe because people will focus on it and highlight it as they always do with bad news.

What can be done to bring these people into line? When does "free speech" = freedom to offend, or be ignornat and hateful?

There will never be a shortage of ignorant hate filled people ready to spew forth their little minded and uneducated opinions and really they are a small minority....The magic question is why do the media like to blow stuff like this out of proportion so that the fence sitters (those with nor opinions of their own and no personality to come up with one) get swayed towards thinking that it is an actual issue when it really isnt.

You want examples of mass racism? Look at the government and how the political parties play the race card with abandon.

Ultimately reporting stuff like this only highlights that this is even a thing and the less people talk about it the less people will care. Kids are the only ones who suffer from this kind of hyperbole. They are the ones who are easily influenced them and republicans...sorry I couldn't resist. im kidding there is nothing wrong with republicans. Im Australian so we dont even care really.

And to those people who think Miss America should have been won by a White woman...well next time enter one that is better looking ext time

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

The Joke, once more (slight edit)

I'm an American, and I'm not racist and neither are any of my friends or my extended family. To prove it, I can tell you honestly that the best man at my own wedding was black and if anyone present so much as whispered the N word, everyone else would have had his back, and he was the only black guy there.

...?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
To those damn racist pigs:

Hey Morons, India Isn’t an Arab Country and It’s Miss America, Not Miss White America.

It appeared that many of the ignorant, racist, and bigoted morons had come out to play on Twitter last night, which prompted me to write this article.

First, India is NOT an Arab country. It’s not even remotely in the same geographic region as the “Arab World,” and furthermore the majority of people living in India do not speak Arabic or practice Islam. But, since it seems so many people need a brief geography, language, and religion lesson, here goes.

The “Arab World” consists of the Arabic speaking countries in the greater middle east and stretches from the Atlantic Ocean in the west to the Arabian Sea in the east, and from the Mediterranean Sea in the north to the Horn of Africa and the Indian Ocean in the southeast. It includes Egypt, Algeria, Sudan, Iraq, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, Tunisia, Somalia, the UAE, Libya, Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon, Mauritania, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Behrain, Djibouti, and Comoros. Notice what country is not on the list? If you said India, DING DING DING, you would be correct. That’s because India isn’t geographically an Arab country. Also, they do not speak Arabic in India – they speak Hindi, English, and various other “mother tongues.”

And for these morons, here's where India is:

And here are the Arab countries...

India is a billion miles away! Are any of those retards on ATS? I hope so.

www.forwardprogressives.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

ColonelSF
To those damn racist pigs:

Hey Morons, India Isn’t an Arab Country and It’s Miss America, Not Miss White America.

It appeared that many of the ignorant, racist, and bigoted morons had come out to play on Twitter last night, which prompted me to write this article.

First, India is NOT an Arab country. It’s not even remotely in the same geographic region as the “Arab World,” and furthermore the majority of people living in India do not speak Arabic or practice Islam. But, since it seems so many people need a brief geography, language, and religion lesson, here goes.

The “Arab World” consists of the Arabic speaking countries in the greater middle east and stretches from the Atlantic Ocean in the west to the Arabian Sea in the east, and from the Mediterranean Sea in the north to the Horn of Africa and the Indian Ocean in the southeast. It includes Egypt, Algeria, Sudan, Iraq, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, Tunisia, Somalia, the UAE, Libya, Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon, Mauritania, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Behrain, Djibouti, and Comoros. Notice what country is not on the list? If you said India, DING DING DING, you would be correct. That’s because India isn’t geographically an Arab country. Also, they do not speak Arabic in India – they speak Hindi, English, and various other “mother tongues.”

And for these morons, here's where India is:

And here are the Arab countries...

India is a billion miles away! Are any of those retards on ATS? I hope so.

www.forwardprogressives.com...

Here's more! I can't believe it! Their general knowledge and awareness is just pathetic!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

neformore

No sooner had the tiara been placed atop her head than a barrage of racist tweets flooded the Internet.

"If you're #Miss America you should have to be American," said one.

"WHEN WILL A WHITE WOMAN WIN #MISSAMERICA? Ever??!!" screamed another.

Nina Davuluri is American. She just happens to be of Indian descent. In fact, she's the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America.

America - you have a problem.

ProblemS.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

WOW!!!, I always have to literately laugh out loud whenever people
*I'm going to mention I'm from Canada, and it's the same bullsh!at up here*
go off about others, telling them to go back to their own country...

...like um... if your not native, as in, native American... native to the lands that the Europeans raped and pillaged many years ago....
.... you really have no right to say, and grounds to stand on, telling others to go back home.

durp.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

It is getting to the point of needing an international moratorium on racism.
We need to have GLOBAL recognition of what is and not acceptable speech. (* above and beyond "free speech" ideals )

Oh my God! What a bootlicking comment. Some people are just BEGGING globalist powers to trample our freedoms. Unbelievable.

Acceptable speech?? You've got to be kidding. Shame on you.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Born out of the "war on terror", hateful rhetroic from right wing politicians, blog posters and organised racist groups together with an apparent general ignorance of the world at large misconceptions about peoples origions have been allowed to fester and multiply and this kind of thing is the result.
Born out of the "war on terror"?? Rhetoric from right wing politicians?? WOW!!

Way to make a couple of ignorant statements from a couple of ignorant people into a "right wing" issue. As if the "right wing" has a monopoly on racism. Did the authors of these comments have a big 'R' in front of their names? I hate to break it to you but racism existed long before Bush or the republican political ideology came along.

This thread is a new low for ATS.

edit on 17-9-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Here I go attracting hostile fire again...

Political correctness is censorship disguised as morality.
It's like mistakenly injesting cyanide while believing it to be a b12 supplement.
As unpopular as the concept may be at present, all speech HAS to be protected...even speech labeled as "hateful" (regardless of how it disgusts me) because freedom of speech must apply to EVERYTHING or else it applies to NOTHING at all. The moment people try to split hairs on this is the day we lose ourselves as a responsible society...oh, wait...we already have.

-Peace-

(P.S.: Having said that I must concur with Skivvy...Canada is worse off than the US politically, the same as the US morally and not much better economically. People would be better off moving to Iceland!)
edit on 17-9-2013 by Eryiedes because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 17-9-2013 by Eryiedes because: Additional Sarcasm

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I think that would be squawk and not squake. I don't think squake is even a word. Learning to spell correctly is an aspect of the intelligence quotient, is it not? Perhaps the issue is not so much one of intelligence, but one of upbringing.
I am very concerned that our schools are failing at both spelling and the attitudes they claim to be "clarifying".

(post by kusmanklute removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

ThirdEyeofHorus

I think that would be squawk and not squake. I don't think squake is even a word. Learning to spell correctly is an aspect of the intelligence quotient, is it not? Perhaps the issue is not so much one of intelligence, but one of upbringing.
I am very concerned that our schools are failing at both spelling and the attitudes they claim to be "clarifying".

Sorry I am not up to your standard of education. I do use a spell check but sometimes cannot suss the words out as I have dyslexia. I though intelligence was the ability to see and decipher pattern from the world around us. Not the ability to learn and replicate spelling rules.
There are many peeps on ATS from different backgrounds do you think they should not have a voice because there spelling is not up to your standard. Do you think that they should be chastised for it. Personally I find what peeps have to say more important than how they say it. Each to their own I guess..

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

I see you got a bit of general all around America bashing in while you were at it. Would you say that attitude is better or worse than race baiting? Would you say that America hating is moving forward or backward?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Ah yes. Amerika. Land of the free to spout your mouth off whenever you want. Especially the down home red necked racist wannabes.
She's hot.
She won.
Get over it jerks!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Aghh yes, I fully agree, being dyslexic as well...
.. but in the end, when your rival only has your minor spelling errors to go on, they really have no solid grounds to stand on, and are just grasping at straws at this point.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Sorry I am not up to your standard of education. I do use a spell check but sometimes cannot suss the words out as I have dyslexia. I though intelligence was the ability to see and decipher pattern from the world around us. Not the ability to learn and replicate spelling rules.

Let's take the dyslexia first. I thought that dyslexia was a matter of switching letters around, not general misspelling.
Next, let's talk about the definition of the intelligence quotient. Let's start with Wikipedia(I know, an abhorrent source, but generally it works).
Wiki says this:

The many different kinds of IQ tests use a wide variety of methods. Some tests are visual, some are verbal, some tests only use abstract-reasoning problems, and some tests concentrate on arithmetic, spatial imagery, reading, vocabulary, memory or general knowledge

en.wikipedia.org...

So there it is, Wikipedia says vocabulary is part of the tests. Since squake is not a real dictionary word, it cannot be considered legitimate vocabulary.

But my real point, which you seem to have missed, is that you have correlated moral righteousness with intelligence, and included some typical stereotyping as well, while overlooking the use of vocabulary as a most basic component of intelligence.
Let me put it to you as succinctly as I can. Being liberal or Progressive with a moral righteousness does not necessarily make one more intelligent.
If being morally righteous was that much of an indicator of intelligence, then why are some of the worst crooks, liars, and murderers known to have high IQ?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

SalientSkivvy

Aghh yes, I fully agree, being dyslexic as well...
.. but in the end, when your rival only has your minor spelling errors to go on, they really have no solid grounds to stand on, and are just grasping at straws at this point.

You also missed my point as well. And you also used dyslexia as an excuse for lack of vocabulary. I do often point out spelling mistakes to people who appear to believe themselves to be superior both morally and intellectually to others.
It is patently ridiculous to use a political affiliation as a meter stick to determine intelligence. But that's just my opinion. You may have yours, of course, at least for now, till the Thought Police arrest everyone for stupid tweets.
Oh, I very nearly forgot...did you mean "literally", or was that a typo?
edit on 17-9-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join