It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Government To Allow Radioactive Waste Metals To Be Recycled Into Consumer Products

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
This piece of news is from February, but I haven't seen it on the boards here so thought I should post it. I did a search using the title but came up with no results found. If it has already been posted, my apologies.

I'm no nuke scientist by any stretch of the imagination, but this doesn't sound good to me:
worldtruth.tv...

The federal government is currently in the process of trying to get rid of tens of thousands of tons of radioactive scrap metal it has accumulated over the years from various nuclear testing and wartime activities. And a recent proposal made by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) would lift existing restrictions on the recycling and reuse of this nuclear waste, allowing it to be formulated into everyday consumer products like belt buckles, silverware, and even surgical devices used by medical personnel on ill patients.

The shocking proposal comes more than a decade after DOE first tried to foist this growing stock of nuclear waste onto the American public back in the late 1990s. Back in 2000, Congressman Ed Markey from Massachusetts reportedly influenced then-Energy Secretary Bill Richardson to reinstate a ban that was temporarily lifted on the unmitigated recycling and reuse of radioactive waste metals in consumer products. But now, DOE is trying once again to secretly dispose of this radioactive waste stock by allowing scrap companies to sell it to consumer product manufacturers.

Even though DOE's proposal has yet to become official policy, American consumers already need to be wary of the safety of metal-based products, particularly those imported from other countries. As we reported last January, domestic merchandise retailer Bed, Bath & Beyond recalled a line of tissue holders produced in India from its stores after learning that the metal used in their production was tainted with radio-isotope cobalt-60. In fact, radioactive goods routinely slip through customs, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which is a serious cause for concern.

Though DOE insists that the amount of radiation emitted from radioactive waste is "negligible" in terms of being a public health threat, science says otherwise. Cumulative exposure to even low-dose radiation over the course of many months or even years can damage cells, DNA, and even hormone balance. This is why it is important to oppose DOE's proposal to end the current moratorium on the reuse of radioactive waste metals.

I'm shocked.

Have any of you guys heard about this?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
If this stuff is safe enough to be used in making consumer products,as they claim, then it should be safe enough to just dump it in a landfill or in the ocean,right?
Whenever the government does something under the pretense of cutting waste,like wanting to recycle this radioactive waste, it makes me suspicious. I`ve never known the government to be concerned about waste,they waste money, they waste resources, they waste time etc,but when it comes to this radioactive waste all of a sudden they want to cut waste and recycle it? sorry but i`m not buying it,they must have an ulterior motive for wanting to make consumer products from radioactive waste.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

you shouldn't be shocked,these are pscyhopathic maniacs running things anymore.does anyone here even consider these beings to be human?I think not;more like trolls from hell.maybe they should turn it into silverware for the elite and their family.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Sounds like a good way to make people sick. $$$

Lots of money to be made with sick people.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
something just doesn't quite add up , maybe they will advertise these items as having health benefits

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Worldtruth tv sounds a bit like before it's news would you trust what they claim ?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Me thinks this belongs in the Hoax Bin. There is no way this can be true. Environmentalists and other activists would be all over this in a heartbeat. Wouldn't they?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
This is surprising to me. I used to work in the nuclear power industry, and my experience with the DOE's policies has always been that they are almost excessively geared toward public safety. Even limits for employee exposure to radiation are set so conservatively low that bringing your TLD (device that tracks radiation received) on a commercial flight would throw you way above your monthly limit.

I'd like to look into this further, but my guess is if they're releasing this to the public then the metal isn't actually radioactive anymore or negligibly so. (Just about everything gives you a dose of radiation, even dirt and air.)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

wmd_2008

Worldtruth tv sounds a bit like before it's news would you trust what they claim ?

I have to admit that I did doubt whether to trust the source of this. After a search I found there were a few sources which report the same thing:
www.globalresearch.ca...
articles.mercola.com...
www.naturalnews.com...
truth-zone.co.uk... ml
www.washingtonsblog.com...
While I am aware that these sources are not main stream and I'm not sure if they can be trusted or not, I posted because we all know how actively secretive and underhanded our governments are.

I also tend to lean towards the proverbial 'no smoke without fire'.

If I have made a mistake posting some kind of hoax, I apologise to all.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

It would be harder to believe until articles started appearing about the raising of the acceptable radiation exposer limits after the tidal wave and nuke reactors of Japan... Remember one of the MSN reports and the big bruhaha she caused when she claimed radiation was good for you about 6 months ago....?.

Many speak about Fluoride and drinking water and how it was an industrial waste product that needed to be disposed of. What better place to put it than in the drinking water and even make money off of it; or so the story goes ?!?

Calcium Fluoride comes from the earth and is naturally occurring. Sodium Fluoride is a hazardous by-product of the fertilizer, aluminum and nuclear industries. Sodium Fluoride is anywhere from 30-120 times deadlier than Calcium Fluoride from what I have been told.

The chemicals used to fluoridate the water are not pharmaceutical grade, like those used in fluoridated toothpaste and other dental products, but are mainly hazardous waste products of the phosphate fertilizer industry. I assume with more and more people becoming aware of the stuff in Fluoride used for our drinking water...... becomes better known/prevalent there will be more cities who decide to opt out?

I read someplace (again I think last year?) that the water storage facility where fluoride was added (skull and crossbones on the fluoride to be added) was tested in Houston, Tx. was several times above the background radiation the water should have exhibited.
www.google.com... drinking-water-makes-pipes-and-plumbing-radioactive-122108194.html&ei=-e42UsXiHoWm9gSmk4HgCA&usg=AFQjCNHRKWWGq1vAF7WyPX71cokKZj4Z-w&sig2=ttszJow-GHJec q32-XL8Aw&bvm=bv.52164340,d.eWU

Minor said the city made the discovery when it recently dug up older steel water pipes from the ground in an attempt to replace them. When the city brought the older pipes to a local recycling scrap yard, the scrap yard turned them away as “too radioactive” to recycle

There are conflicting reports on the cause of the radioactivity some saying it is coming out of the wells and lakes used to supply water and others say some of the fluoride is the main culprit... Khou a local (Houston) news station did several reports on the radiation and the bottom line was it was a cover-up by city officials who knew the water was radiated and above federal and limits. All this happened a couple of years ago....

So, if the whole deal about putting fluoride in the drinking water and the consequences are true.... not to mention the water being so radioactive that the water pipes become a hazardous waste why would anyone not think you article may have an element of truth? I dunno but I seem to have heard or read some of the same things you posted.... Does not make it so just another tid-bit for the hummmm file....

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It wouldn't shock me a bit to be true. It sounds about right, in fact. Some of you may have heard of Diesel Exhaust Fluid? (DEF) Anyone want to take a guess what that ignorant brainfart from EPA to require is actually MADE FROM??

Well.. For many many years...one of the single largest problems in American agriculture where animals are concerned has been waste disposal. Since the corporate farming came to be the norm with thousands or 10's of thousands of animals in tight areas. Pee and Crap, specifically...in quantities that humans don't produce in major cities. Pigs in particular are 4 legged crap factories.

Enter D.E.F.. Required and forced adoption by the EPA has every new truck burning this junk. One of whose main ingredients is Urea. Sound familiar? Urea....URINE.... Yes... DEF is liquified, refined pee....and every single one of you in America is BREATHING what they couldn't find any legal or safe way to dispose of before. Waste becomes a solved issue...as it blows into the air. Same solution as ALWAYS...but some idiot called this poison into the air "green" so we breathe it with a smile.

^^^^ All that to explain why this is not only NOT surprising? It's what I'd fully expect of this Government, these days. Our health and survival is 100% and totally secondary to their political butt if a problem like radioactive waste may cost them ONE vote. Better to condemn a million to death by these stupid decisions...than lose that ONE vote out there somewhere.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

than lose that ONE vote out there somewhere.

Or lose one corporate backed DOLLAR....

top topics

join