It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Rejects Criticism of Shifting Syria Policy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Today, Obama gave another exclusive interview.

This time it's awarded to ABC.

He discussed Syria.

Video of the show and a transcript is in the link....

WASHINGTON — President Obama says a tumultuous month as commander in chief, when his policy toward Syria took a number of unexpected turns, may not have looked “smooth and disciplined and linear,” but it’s working.

“I’m less concerned about style points. I’m much more concerned with getting the policy right,” Obama told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos in an exclusive interview on “This Week.”

Obama said his surprise announcement on Aug. 31 that he would seek congressional authorization for U.S. military strikes against Syria, then the abrupt cancellation of a vote this week and pursuit of a diplomatic plan led by the Russians, has put the country “definitely in a better position.”

Hmmm. "Get the 'policy' right" ? as in singular?

Obama Rejects Criticism of Shifting Syria Policy: ‘I’m Less Concerned About Style Points’

Quote:

“My entire goal throughout this exercise is to make sure what happened on Aug. 21 does not happen again,” the president told Stephanopoulos of the large-scale chemical weapons attack outside Damascus that he said killed more than 1,400 civilians.

“We have the possibility of making sure it doesn’t happen again,” he said.

Pretty slick eh. Maybe it is all just and 'exercise'.

I would have hoped he would consider the 100,000+ deaths in the Syrian civil war a goal as well !!!

Oh well.

The civil war continues and Russia Gazprom keeps their gas business in Europe with limited competition.

And, the Saudis and Qatar get to keep fighting for their goals and objectives, like gas and religion.

Oh, and the U.S. gets to keep 'helping' supply the 'Rebels' too !!!

And Assad, well ?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

definitely in a better position

Obama now has the high moral ground, a plan and a resolution,
the best outcome "removal and destruction" of any arms under UN observation,
the opening of dialogue, between the different factions,

you can try to score political points if you like,
but Obama just saved a nightmare from the world,

it is especially hard to do "the right thing" KNOWING your opponents will attempt to undermine you,
i am proud of his strength.

xploder

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Obama took the easy way out, it was predictable, they knew he would. Putin has supported the brutality of the Assad regime, and defended them, and now the whole thing is under his control.

In the process, the credibility of the president has been destroyed, the enemies of the USA know now that they have little to fear from this presidency, because the president isn't a real leader, backs down under stress and is seen as cowardly.

It is what it is. Can't change it now.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Lets not be coy here,

If he had of gone in you'd have all called him a war monger
Now he's not going in, he's a heartless whimp who backtracked on WW3.

Pathetic the way so many just want to jump on him no matter what.

I think he played this perfectly. He made enough of a kick up about chemical weapons being used the world knows this is the last time it will be accepted.

This reminds me of the Cuban missile crisis where all seemed destined but an outside of the box idea gave them breathing room and allowed both sides to pull back while saving face.

While Russia may have won this round I'm not fussed about it, because the USA doesnt seem able to be the moral beacon it once was at the moment.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Assad has killed at least 100,000 human beings, sent far more fleeing into refugee camps out of Syria..has shown a desire for genocide to end the uprising, tested the boundaries the president of the USA and international community has set, and remains in position to continue the same. With his strongest ally in charge.

Obama may not realize it yet, but FOR HIM, this was the worst possible outcome.

By design.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

ausername
reply to post by XPLodER

Obama took the easy way out, it was predictable, they knew he would. Putin has supported the brutality of the Assad regime, and defended them, and now the whole thing is under his control.

In the process, the credibility of the president has been destroyed, the enemies of the USA know now that they have little to fear from this presidency, because the president isn't a real leader, backs down under stress and is seen as cowardly.

It is what it is. Can't change it now.

lol, you are wrong, there are countries all over the world NOW willing to work with arms removal, and decommissioning and ensuring these arms are no longer a threat to WORLD PEACE,
you see you think its weakness to be part of the world community?
you think its week to remove weapon's of mass causality?

you think you have the moral high ground no matter the larger geo political effects?
do you think you are the only people on earth?

in my humble opinion, and for many countries around the world,
your president has done the hardest yet more correct course of action,
he is gaining respect from your allies, and we are watching like hawks.

you may not factor "the outside world"
but many are in support of peace,

you claim it is week to be strong,
and strong to be violent.

are you blind to the larger context?

xploder

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Lemme get this straight.

Obama wanted military strikes.

No-one else did.

So we go the diplomatic route.

That Obama now takes credit for.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

You can try to sell that crap all day long and even believe it. Doesn't matter. It doesn't change the reality.

It still is what it is.

Good luck with that nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

ausername
Assad has killed at least 100,000 human beings, sent far more fleeing into refugee camps out of Syria..has shown a desire for genocide to end the uprising, tested the boundaries the president of the USA and international community has set, and remains in position to continue the same. With his strongest ally in charge.

Obama may not realize it yet, but FOR HIM, this was the worst possible outcome.

By design.

why because some people will score cheep political points? please......
i can see clearly that the greater good has been done.

you discount the fact that a strike from the us would decapitate Assads forces,
creating a power vacuum, and put chem weponds at risk of theift or use.

your warmongering would have caused a larger geo political problem,
one that would cost even more innocent lives.

so while you want war, it would have devolved into chaos,
IMHO
Obama has made the right choice,
world peace over a few jabs by political opponents.

ultimately this is to complex for most Americans to grasp,
it does matter what the rest of the world thinks,
if Obama had gone in alone and the result was massive theift of chem weaponds,
the rest of the world would then condemn Obama.

this way the us gets to prevent a disaster.
and has IMHO

By Design

xploder

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Just to add, his moment of realization, and an unexpected test will come soon.

IMO

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Your political perspective and bias are irrelevant in this context. We aren't talking about republicans and democrats here... Ultimately.

When he is tested, you'll have a much clearer perspective on all of this. It is just a matter of TIME.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

beezzer
Lemme get this straight.

Obama wanted military strikes.

No-one else did.

So we go the diplomatic route.

That Obama now takes credit for.

he made the ultimate decision,
he takes the flack for his decision,
but think about chem weapon's in the hands of the rebels, or worse!!!!!!

this way the rest of the international community is united behind him,
the other option would have caused division between allies,
and possible loss of wmds to terrorists.

its easy to call Obama names, and try to score political points,
its harder to track down nutters with chem weapon's

xploder

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

why because some people will score cheep political points? please......
i can see clearly that the greater good has been done.

I'm perplexed.

There's over 100,000 dead and millions of Syrian citizens that have fled to other countries.

where's the 'greater good' ?

don't you understand ?

Obama had the chance of a lifetime to stop the civil war in one agreement.

There is No Discussion at ALL going on about stopping the civil war.

why is THAT ?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Refreshing perspective. I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone still here capable of thinking outside of the ATS box.

The answers shouldn't be academic.
edit on 15-9-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I've only criticized Obama on his efforts to engage Syria with weapons.

I'll further criticize the idiot if he takes credit for something he didn't want to do, nor plan.

Overall, however, I am happy that we are not entering into a civil war with Islamic extremists on one side and a brutal dictator on the other.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I'm perplexed.

There's over 100,000 dead and millions of Syrian citizens that have fled to other countries.

civil war is never cut and dry, 100,000 people have died, but how many from either side?

where's the 'greater good' ?

going in alone could have been a disaster for the us, and for WORLD PEACE

don't you understand ?

do you? first do no harm, leaving the rebels with unsecured chem weapon's would cause opinion to turn against the us, and make the middle east a nightmare.

Obama had the chance of a lifetime to stop the civil war in one agreement.

still does, and now MORE nations will bring diplomacy to bear on the assad regime, to comply with the UN mandate, you think "to end a war you must start one"?

There is No Discussion at ALL going on about stopping the civil war.

why is THAT ?

its not a switch that can be thrown by one man alone,
peace comes when we work together.

xploder

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Agit8dChop

If he had of gone in you'd have all called him a war monger
Now he's not going in, he's a heartless whimp who backtracked on WW3.

He still IS a warmonger!

His "Drone Wars" his continued Bush Policies, his disregard for the Constitution!

Too many players in the ME whose excuses are to "help" those in need, as they sell weapons that kill innocent victims. From Putin to Obama to Assad. All hypocrites not to be trusted.

HOW do they sleep at night? Is Money and Power like a warm glass of milk with cookies ?

Even with all this, if all foreign powers left the ME, there would STILL be perpetual War there. If Israel wasn't there it would be Arab on Arab violence. History explains it. Its inevitable that people revert to the most basic barbarity they know. Its a sad and pathetic World we live in where we justify it because we believe that picking a side will make US sleep better at night. It doesn't though.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by XPLodER

I've only criticized Obama on his efforts to engage Syria with weapons.

I'll further criticize the idiot if he takes credit for something he didn't want to do, nor plan.

Overall, however, I am happy that we are not entering into a civil war with Islamic extremists on one side and a brutal dictator on the other.

im glad you can see the bigger context,
Assad now knows what the consequences will be if he does not get rid of his chem weapon's,
the international community can disarm and remove them from the country,
and if assad falls there wont be nutters running around the middle east with chem weapon's.

anything else than that would be a disaster.

xploder

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

"Obama Rejects Criticism"

What!? Of course he does. Has he ever stood up to the plate and admitted he did ANYTHING wrong, ever? Maybe he has but I don't remember him ever owning up to anything. Blame everyone else is his game and he's exceptionally good at it.

If Obama actually comes out and admits that Putin is the main driver of this diplomatic solution, gives credit where due... I'll eat a frog.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

civil war is never cut and dry, 100,000 people have died, but how many from either side?
What difference would THAT POSSIBLY make ?

going in alone could have been a disaster for the us, and for WORLD PEACE
You're missing the entire point. I'm not suggesting that anybody 'goes in' at all. I'm suggesting that Obama and Putin have other agendas because neither have even mentioned that the civil war should be addressed. Don't you find that a wee bit suspicious ?

first do no harm, leaving the rebels with unsecured chem weapon's would cause opinion to turn against the us, and make the middle east a nightmare.
The CW talks don't include getting any CWs from rebels that I know of. Please show that it does, I hope I'm wrong. And the opinion is already against the U.S., and the ME has been a nightmare for .... how long now ?

and now MORE nations will bring diplomacy to bear on the assad regime, to comply with the UN mandate, you think "to end a war you must start one"?
?? The civil war has been going since Jan 2011 !! And the U.N. has failed in every single effort. Why is THAT ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join