It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

typhoon about to pass over japan....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
high winds and a LOT of rain are expected.

enenews.com... mhr-observed-workers-frantically-pumping-up-water-torr

www.trust.org...

this could be really really bad for those cooling pools (one in particular that has no roof) and the ground is going to get softer with all the rain. not to mention the high winds..... what effect might they have? i guess we'll know soon enough.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Man, so many adversities, not to mention they seem to have magnitude 4+ earthquakes there every couple o weeks. I hear they were going to build an ice wall around the area for temporary restraint of radiation. Beyond that, they are still trying to find resolutions.

Blessings to all...
edit on 15-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

i just can't see how the ice wall is going to work. it seems like a massive fail to me. the water will find a way over the wall... or around it. not to mention it's never been done before on such a large scale and TEPCO doesn't have a great track record regarding doing things right the first time.

i hope this typhoon doesn't do any further damage. i don't see how it's not going to affect the radiation levels in the ground water though. it's going to force any leaks that are going on to spread farther with heavy rain..... at least that's what it seems like it would do.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Keep us informed. This is potentially very dangerous.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

while it doesn't appear to be a super strong storm it is on track to go right over tokyo and fukushima. winds at 74mph and gusts will go higher. the storm surge will be a few feet..... not sure what impact that could have.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Oh sheesh, this is not good. Thanks for the heads up.

High winds & blowing debris could be the last straw for the SFP at #4.

I sure hope they have plenty of generators and fuel, as the site may be without power for a while.

This is the most recent imagery I could find, from wunderground At least the winds have dropped to 70 mph.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
here is the camera link. it seems to be moving already.

www.tepco.co.jp...

this is not good, for anyone on this planet.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

pasiphae
high winds and a LOT of rain are expected.

enenews.com... mhr-observed-workers-frantically-pumping-up-water-torr

www.trust.org...

this could be really really bad for those cooling pools (one in particular that has no roof) and the ground is going to get softer with all the rain. not to mention the high winds..... what effect might they have? i guess we'll know soon enough.

Or whenever TEPCO decides to tell about the damage, in a few months.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I will be watching this thread. My brother works/lives over there. Hope he stays safe.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
enenews.com... ctor-basements-and-tunnels-from-overflowing

this doesn't sound too good. water overflowing from a fence around storage tanks near # 4 reactor - TEPCO officials are inspecting the leaked water to determine if it’s contaminated and i'm sure it is.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

The Japanese just can't seem to catch a break, their just a hotbed of activity when it comes to natural disasters!
Star for you!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Thanks for the link to the camera. I see they need to secure the cranes at least the small one near center camera looks like a black pole seems to really be moving a good bit.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
right on top of it now according to this site

www.wunderground.com... 1&fire=0&ft=0&sl=0

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

at least it's not a direct hit but i think that's the "dirty" side that's pounding the plant now. i don't trust TEPCO to give us the straight scoop in the next few days about what the damage is or isn't.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Heres a live web cam link...

sounds like the wind is tearing thru there right now.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Adding a couple links...

NHK

Waves are likely to remain almost 10 meters high in waters off the Pacific coast from eastern to western Japan.

Fukushima

Tokyo Electric Power Company workers have placed weights on large cranes used to move debris around the reactor building to keep them from being toppled by strong winds.

They also attached ropes to outdoor piping and pumps that are used to inject water into the reactors.

The operators are strengthening patrols to prevent rain from entering and overflowing the basement of turbine buildings and the underground tunnel where highly contaminated water has accumulated.

Is it just me or does this sound like comic relief? Weights and ropes and whats the high wind limit for cranes anyway?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

the cranes dont appear to be very tall, if you have a look at the tepco camera (link above). the winds have definitely picked up in the last half hour. Sea swells are meant to be up to 6-8mts high which is a concern, on top of all the rainfall. Like the OP says, we probably won't get to hear what the repercussions are from this storm.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Thanks for giving such good updates. Have a Mac which won't let me install the media player so can't see - appreciate the good descriptions.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

the winds have definitely picked up in the last half hour.

I have been listening to it as background for a while. Winds are building like you say.

NHK

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

i agree an ice will be a waste of time and money,not only will the water be able to go over,around or under the wall but the wall will only be even partially effective as long as the pumps, that circulate the cooling liquid, keep running.
This whole fiasco was caused by pumps that stopped working due to a power outage and flooded emergency generators.since they failed at keeping the reactor pumps up and running I seriously doubt that they will any success at keeping the ice wall pumps running when the next big quake and flood happens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join