It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars, Flags, Lightening Bolts, and Statistics: Sniffing out the Trolls, Derailers, and mean people

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Thank you Jacy girl,

I think you made the point for me, so many times we jump to conclusions and it creates arguments where there should not be arguments. Sometimes it becomes less of a collective share of information, and more of a frantic scream of "I have the only right view."

Lets agree to disagree more often. Sorry, I got everyones panties in a bunch. It was not my intentions.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

misskat1
reply to post by jacygirl

Thank you Jacy girl,
Sorry, I got everyones panties in a bunch. It was not my intentions.

LOL....Yup, bunched up panties always make me bitchy!
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by misskat1

I was going to read this thread but your little trophy number wasn't high enough for me to bother.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Here is how I personally use the stats..

Stars...I think people star me because I have a well thought out post that contributes to the discussion in some way.

Flags...I think people flag my threads because they want to find them later to keep up with them. It peaked their interest in some way.

As for the "lightening bolts" and "trophy" MEH. They are some convoluted mathematical formula used taking the stars/flags/posts ratio each in a different way. So honestly, they feed off of the other two so essentially unless you are into convoluted mathematical formulas they do not mean a whole lot on their own.

I always thought Kharma was how often you starred another member but after reading the facts that is not true.

~K2
edit on 15-9-2013 by k21968 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I don't expect you to read my post being a one starer. Stars and flags are given out by members. I have a bit more respect for the members with applause points. Applause points are in members profile and can only be given by staff.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I agree!!

Stars are absolutely no indicator, what-so-ever, to the general quality of a member's comment contributions.

It may seem that way to those who do not have many posts, but it is just a naive illusion. People who have been on ATS for any length of time know that there are times when you post a whole lot in a single, fast-moving, thread.

The majority of posts in a fast-moving thread are back and forth debate or co-op conversation that quickly becomes buried under pages and pages of other member comments.

Many of these posts are not veiwed by a large number of other members and gain 0 stars. When a member is very active on ATS and becomes involved in multiple fast-moving threads, their post count can explode, while their star count only increases moderately.

I do like the stars though, because they make it easy to see which posts are extraordinary and present something very important to the thread. I may post a comment that receives 15 stars, then post 20 more comments that get 0-1 stars as the thread moves along.

So, for me, stars are indicators of an exceptional single post, but they do little to show the general quality of a member's contribution. Of course it is easier to recognize this flow when you reach 1,000 or more comments.

Pre-judging member contributions, based on the star:post ratio, is a dis-service to the member being judged, but more-so to the member who is passing out-of-hand judgement.

If I'm ever among those being 'judged', based on the logic in the Opening Post, then I would be thankful and count myself lucky that the judge has decided not to talk to me.

edit on 15-9-2013 by esteay812 because:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I wanted to make a comment before I read your thread ...the title has so much stuff packed into it that I thought that ..heres a member on a suicide mission lol But yea I say go for it but I am thinking the language will get very cryptic soon ...either if or if not ,let the hurling begin ...now ,oh yea read the op ...peace

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

We just star you because you have a cute avatar
....For some strange reason, your writing personality seems to match the avatar though...probably just a "coincidence"

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Yea ...some of the biggest ways to get high star count is to say something funny ..I love the humour and I guess its ok to have that one member eh......peace

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I don't know what lightning bolts mean.
The stars and flags are silly and annoying. The discussions on ats changed after they implemented this.

There's certain people on here who start threads just to get more flags and stars. It's so transparent they're doing that and it pisses me off. You know who they are, they like to fearmonger and are self -appointed experts, except they really don't know jack. They are so known for being a know it all, they they could author a thread on anything and immediately get flagged just because of who they are known on here to be, the so called expert.

I noticed chief fear monger no longer has his or hers gold or silver border. Have those been taken out? I hope so because I think they were trying to build up points to get the stupid border. Don't need others doing this.

I always wonder if the stars are in some way designed to see who stars posts, what is their viewpoint.

Can the staff see who gave the stars?
edit on 15-9-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I don't post what I post to please people. I post to provide information or something of interest that I've found relating to the subject of a thread and sometimes I reveal or address what I know may be construed as uncomfortable matters to others on these forums. I'm pretty darn sure that I probably creep people out now and then. The only meaning to stars for me is that they are nice to see every once in a while because then, I at least have positive confirmation that somebody actually read what I wrote and may even agree with my assessment. Beyond that, I could care less. I'm not here to win friends and admirers. I'm here to deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Who cares about stars and flags, ATS is just a bit of fun for spare time, usually I'm either at work or out with friends, but I suppose some people live on this site and don't get out much. Do you think you can take these stars with you when you die?

Ok I may have been harsh, but what you've done is insulted the intelligence of all members with a 1.5:1 ratio of stars to posts or less. If you don't realize why that would get peoples backs up then maybe you don't deserve all the stars you've accumulated.
edit on 15-9-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

Also, I don't even know why I bothered replying to this thread, it seems I have a ratio of 1.6:1 anyway. Looks like I just crept into the "worthy" section based on your reasoning.

edit on 15-9-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Flags
Purpose: To keep a thread visible on the home screen. So if you see a thread that contains info that you think others ought to see then flag it!

Stars
Purpose: I treat these as my way of saying that I agree with the poster, or they made me laugh, or they've responded in a civil manner to a rude post.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Im probably digging myself a deeper grave, but an explanation is in order.

I started a thread a few days ago, regarding OathKeepers Militia. A couple of members, began attacking the OathKeepers as being only white. Their bigoted racist attitude was completely nauseating. So, many good people tried to reason with them. Explaining over and over that the founder isn't white at all. Even defending their non raciest opinions.

No one could bring information to the table, without it turning into a race war. Being an older grandma, I truly wanted to know about the Oathkeepers. My kids are a few towns away, so I need to sort out who I can trust. And at my age: the age of fallen flesh and poor eyesight, humility is what you have left. I do not think I am any more, than who I am.

So, I was trying to make a point about it, using the silly star system. (Now that I know about the silver and gold bar and trophy points, I might become Unstoppable, Baaawwwaaaaaaaa)

Those of you who have read my posts and comments in the past know I try once in awhile to be funny, I guess Im not very good at it.

My humble apologies to all my friends at ATS. I cant find an ICON for a white flag!!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I squeaked by at a 1.54:1 ratio but if you round, I'd be excluded. The most attention that I give to the star thing is when I somehow get a number of stars to something that I posted. I look at that post and consider how it differs from the others that I have posted to see why that one appealed over others. It tells me what appeals to users on this forum but not for my own use, mind you. I'm not into manipulation. It just tells me what makes people tick here and the results differ very little on this site than in any other type of public forum. People are more apt to respond to a post that resonates emotionally with them, regardless of factual or logical basis. That's my going hypothesis. A good chunk of my posts are without emotion.

Now if people didn't find me creepy before, they might now but at least I'm honest about my donning a lab coat a lot. It's just my nature to see how systems work. Like I said, not into manipulation. Oh and on a humorous aside, it's why I've been labelled a NSA agent elsewhere. Not that either.
edit on 15/9/13 by WhiteAlice because: had to add the funny

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I can see some of his point in making this statement. Get to reading a new thread and Poof! Someone has to go and kill it off, make a remark/s on it.

I can see if it is called for. Some just ask for it! Now the new Person who actually has something to say and has not mastered ATS's 101; really seems to get bitten! All they were trying to do was see how it works!

I remembered my first time, stay away from them videos? How I ended up on a video is Okay say it.............................................! Staying in 101 you would never get to exploring things here on ATS!

Some of us actually back in the day used a pen and paper and have no idea of the concept of using a computer nuts we try though. Just look to the left and see my pic, it took a year to get it to load right and still is not right! Heard i have to crop this and to that any places you know of could actually do this for me?

There is alot of info just waiting to be said here; find some are way out there only the point is if people get chased away because of some rude people we could actually Miss Something!

I just learned how to give a star the other day! It seems I had to tell someone that he was Rude! Gave me a star only untill then did not know I could Touch The Stars! Here I thought by flagging a post was to say it was a good one to read and for others to take a look.

I could care less about the stat's, you say something interesting I will take a look. Now if it's stupid, I just go to another one and not say anything. I know the world is cold and people have a bad day or 2 might as keep it to yourself and not pass the buck to another!

Some now are already downgrading this post, I shall give him a Star just because he/her actually earned it!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Don't take all the posts personally. It's not worth losing any sleep over, that's for sure.

I sincerely wish Skeptic Overlord would do away with the stars, but that isn't going to happen. I don't look at peoples stats on the whole. The only time I make a point to look usually, is when someone posts something the betrays their newbieness. At least, then I know why they're posting it.

Otherwise, the numbers are useless. I've seen great posts by members with horrible stats, and terrible posts by members with outstanding stats. So I try to take each post on its own merit.

edit on 9/15/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Are you sure its not just a simple ratio?

Your post to flag to star counts are pretty high in terms of a %.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Honestly, I have no Idea. I was just making a point about mean people derailing threads. I realize nobody really cares about the star, flag thing. That's why I thought it was safe territory for my dumb analogy. But, it backfired and severally bit me in the ass I might add.

So, there probably is a legitimate thread on the grading system, but this wouldn't be it!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I saw that thread and was repelled by what was going on within it, too. I'll review it and see what I can find out for you. Considering that I am aware that the Oathkeeper falls under the "Patriot" group blanket for domestic terrorism, I can completely understand your concerns. There's a lot of sketchiness and skewing that may be occurring in regards to these groups.

Oh and if you are indeed the one starring on all the responses in fairness, you missed one on the first page of this thread. If you are doing that, I like your concept of fairness. Just a guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join