It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

media blackout regarding the flooding at fracking sites in colorado????

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Hr2burn

I've been seeing those commercials too, I'm in the southern part of the state. It shows a ranching family talking about all the benefits along with pictorial scenes of western life. They're trying to win over rural folks.

We're seeing them a lot down here probably because Shell is poking around for natural gas in The Great Dikes of the Spanish Peaks. They're calling it an exploratory fracking project.

Locals are already upset over fracking operations, not so much the chemicals although ranchers take issue with that, private water wells are filling with methane, some have exploded/gone dry. Drillers are trucking in water at their own expense.

Drilling/mining and the environmental pollution that comes with it isn't new to Colorado. I've heard there's holding ponds up north from old gold mines full of toxic crap. We have mine tailings, open pits all over the place that coal mining companies never had to clean up. They didn't even seal up the mine entrances, the state paid for that. I'm afraid officials give them carte blanche where our natural resources are concerned.

People up north seem to love their oil wells and such to the extent they want to form a new state, go figure to each his own I guess.

edit on 9-18-2013 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

rival

Frac'ing involes pumping high-pressure fresh-water and sand into the ground
to open fissures in the shale strata---that's it. The water from frac'ing comes
from farmer's ponds, area lakes, and local resources. The water is sometimes
pumped into man-made ponds for convenience but it is clean.

Oh is that all? Obviously not a geologist then are ya? What do yo do "in the energy industry?" I am guessing it involves a desk, pens, stapler, maybe even a computer.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

You will drive a truck full of these chemicals? WOW. Would you flood your house, garden, and wash your kids and food in them?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Octave
Not sure how relevant this is to the OP or why they are doing this but according to techdirt:

FEMA Grounds Private Drones That Were Helping To Map Boulder Floods, Threatens To Arrest Operators

I dont think we should overlook this as it is important and needs to be investigated for the reason.

Why would they stop drone flights? What about radio controlled model aircraft or gliders or balloons? What reason could they have to stop these?

Maybe they dont want an assessment from the air - rather like some countries not wanting social networks commenting on areas of "sensitivity".

Are they going to arrest the news services and others from hiring a helicopter and shooting footage that way? Why only drones?

The only reason I can think is that there is more to see from the air and it allows absolutely anyone to find out and post online without control. They cannot control all of us and so it has to be made illegal. What would they arrest us for I wonder?

The screws are tightening and restrictions getting more and more.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I agree, I thought it HIGHLY suspicious when I read the article. I can't imagine why FEMA would threaten to arrest anyone who is volunteering their time and drones to help in the flooded areas. It makes no logical sense.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
This is rich! I'm still laughing! "Oil Spills" in Colorado. Seriously? That's what your worried about? Hopefully the fracking sites that flooded have finally exterminated the prebbles filed mouse once and for all! HAHAHAHAHHAHA. Alas, too bad, the flood did not. Yeah, I don't think anyone really cares about the tiny amount of damage the occasional petrochemical spill will do compared to what the most destructive natural event that can occur has done to Colorado in just a few hours. People are dying here, and your asking them to feel bad because a little "oil" leaked? Nice. Yeah, fracking sites, that is SO HIGH priority. NOT! (And never will be

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
How would the media go about reporting it?:

Channel 5 news says that once you return to your flooded homes and get an insurance adjuster be sure to tell them to check for the presence of fracking chemicals in your house, grounds and belongings. Of course we aren't allowed to know WHAT those chemicals are (trade secret - shhhhh!!) but presume they are widespread throughout the area.

Getting a lawyer won't help. They can't find out what kinds of chemicals are used in fracking. Our suggestion?: Go home, clean up and put your life together again as best you can. If you should get mysteriously ill in the future find something else to blame it on and sue the heck out them.

We are in big trouble folks. We have put profits before people, before health and the environment, before everything under the sun. We have a new God of death and destruction (thanks Mr. Friedman) but don't take it personally should your life be cut short by accidentally being in it's path.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Thanks for the link.

Were in southern CO, the hubby and I saw the footage on the news the other night. We were amazed at the quality and the news anchors were pretty impressed too.

It was a birds eye view about as high as power lines moving above the roadway at a slow enough pace to clearly see the damage below.

The company was working with Boulder county not sure why they wouldn't team up with FEMA after they took over. My hubby wonders what's in the storm damage that FEMA doesn't want us to see?

We've been seeing a lot of air support heading north, I think they might be coming from Pinon Canyon. The air force jets have been non-stop not sure what services they provide. We haven't seen drones yet but I'll keep an eye out.

I feel so bad for people who've had their water wells damaged. It's so expensive to drill/make repairs/test. The wells get contaminated, it could take many tests before the water's safe to drink. Many rural families provide their own infrastructure and it's typically bare bones. Not everyone here is a richie and rural people are going to be the ones taking the biggest hit. Some are having to ride horses in/out.

edit on 9-19-2013 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

CarbonBase
This is rich! I'm still laughing! "Oil Spills" in Colorado. Seriously? That's what your worried about? Hopefully the fracking sites that flooded have finally exterminated the prebbles filed mouse once and for all! HAHAHAHAHHAHA. Alas, too bad, the flood did not. Yeah, I don't think anyone really cares about the tiny amount of damage the occasional petrochemical spill will do compared to what the most destructive natural event that can occur has done to Colorado in just a few hours. People are dying here, and your asking them to feel bad because a little "oil" leaked? Nice. Yeah, fracking sites, that is SO HIGH priority. NOT! (And never will be

Having lived there so many years i can happily say your wrong. Yes the people are first worried about the obvious stuff, their homes, loved ones, etc etc, but also they are concerned for their beloved land and open spaces. They care deeply about the environment and their resources there in Colorado. Of course they are worried about all the immediate stuff but you better believe they are also worried about the impact on the environment.

I was there when land owner died from drinking from spring contaminated from fracking on adjacent land and I know many people who are worried about it. You sound like you work for oil company lol.

The Bot

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

CarbonBase

I don't think anyone is trying to minimize the fact that people have died here but how many more might become ill/die from contaminated water.

What about livestock? It's open range in CO, cattle will drink from whatever puddle they find. Fences are down/cattle guards washed out, ranchers have lost track of their herds. Our beef helps feed the nation. People are already afraid of gulf seafood, it could be ruinous to our cattle industry if the nation loses confidence in our beef.

We could be talking long term contamination. People who are either too ignorant or can't afford testing might drink/water livestock from contaminated wells leading to more deaths/disease.

edited to add: Has anyone heard from Coloradojens?

edit on 9-19-2013 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

I seen some family on TV in colorodo take a Bic lighter to his tap water and catch it on fire! It's really scary. With the continued fracking, flooding and water tables mixing with the propane I could see how the earth could end in fire. They have so many people getting paid no one will bite the hand that feeds them so I wouldn't expect much on MSM.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Skydog88

Get a clue!!!! Rain doesn`t mess with fracking, nor does fracking cause earthquakes, pollution, bad water or anything else that might hurt your tree hugging life style. I love the wilderness and wild life too, but we can use our resources responsibly!

Hmmm...Must be an oil industry employee or something...

I guess the streams of discoloration coming from the tanks and fracking sites are love and rainbows?
edit on 19-9-2013 by Gu1tarJohn because: ETA

edit on 19-9-2013 by Gu1tarJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

1104light

rival

Frac'ing involes pumping high-pressure fresh-water and sand into the ground
to open fissures in the shale strata---that's it. The water from frac'ing comes
from farmer's ponds, area lakes, and local resources. The water is sometimes
pumped into man-made ponds for convenience but it is clean.

Oh is that all? Obviously not a geologist then are ya? What do yo do "in the energy industry?" I am guessing it involves a desk, pens, stapler, maybe even a computer.

Wow, i have never heard a more bold faced lie in my life. Listen folks I will not go into detail the companies I worked for or any of that because frankly there is just to much evidence in the public record now. The oil companies get rid of their own as well as other companies toxic materials by pumping in the ground in everything they do, from fracking, to new exploration, to rework wells and especially dead or depleted wells.

This is not new, it has always been how they do things. We could not use the drill mud until the mystery chemical truck showed up and dumped in their toxic brew. They lied to Congress and refused to tell them what was in it for I've fifteen years. When they finally did there were three thousand chemicals with over sixty cancer causing agents.

There is a brave young man who made two documentaries that have been on hold, absolutely amazing, everyone should watch them. These are the truth.

The Bot

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Ok, so I think I've got this figured out. The flood happens here in Colorado, suddenly I am seeing many different Fracking commercials on local channels. I have really seen these before and now I'm being "flooded" with them.
It's the perfect damage control, no local news channel would dare do a report on what's happening to Fracking sites during the flooding, they're accepted money from the commercials...probably millions. Hell if your sponsored by Gatorade, you won't be caught dead drinking Powerade.
This to me says there are some real concerns with the whole scenario here in Colorado at some fracking sites. I'd say lets wait and see but, we most likely will never be told. I can tell you, prior to fuel companies putting commercials on the local channels, there w TONS of news reports of homes with very flammable water from their faucets...that's long gone.
Anyway, fuel for thought.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

www.frackcheckwv.net/2011/04/17/investigation-yields-list

The above coincides with previous investigations concerning Fracking. They use a host of Damgerous chemicals - apprently, but then who am i to say such ???

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

dlbott

Wow, i have never heard a more bold faced lie in my life.

What lie? Quote it? I do not believe you have a leg to stand on.

Listen folks I will not go into detail the companies I worked for or any of that because frankly there is just to much evidence in the public record now. The oil companies get rid of their own as well as other companies toxic materials by pumping in the ground in everything they do, from fracking, to new exploration, to rework wells and especially dead or depleted wells.

This is not new, it has always been how they do things. We could not use the drill mud until the mystery chemical truck showed up and dumped in their toxic brew. They lied to Congress and refused to tell them what was in it for I've fifteen years. When they finally did there were three thousand chemicals with over sixty cancer causing agents.

There is a brave young man who made two documentaries that have been on hold, absolutely amazing, everyone should watch them. These are the truth.

The Bot

I think you are confused about what you are arguing.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 1104light

Have you ever noticed that when you drive a certain car you start seeing the same model car everywhere? That has happened to me a lot and to a lot of people I know.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist
reply to post by Mike6158

Thanks? No offense taken? Sure. The term fracking is now in most dictionaries and used quite often by the industry itself. I realize that energy PR firms have suggested not using the term because it sounds bad. Yes fracking has been done for decades, but the rate in this century has grown exponentially and the earthquakes are a new variable. The increased rate increase potential incidents. The more fracking, the more likely valuable water sources will be affected.

The petro section of your post is no news and not really related to the discussion, but thanks for trying to make me look bad. Yes we are all hypocrites to some degree I suppose, but that does not mean we should refrain from expressing concerns. Glad the alternative(supplemental) energy issue makes you lollmaoroflmao and such. Belittling efforts to get away from oil dependency sounds kind of moronic(no offense). I would continue a dialog with you but condescending comments do no one any good in the spirit of learning, so I will not respond to you anymore.
edit on 16-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

It's called hydraulic fracturing. But you can call it what you want to. It doesn't matter to me.

"increased rate" Show me some real numbers that validate your claim. And please explain how a fracture in a formation that is induced 10,000 feet below the water table is going to affect the water supply. Don't just repeat the psychobabble. Do some real research and at least try to understand the process.

Petro section is no news. Really... so life is good... happy happy happy. If you want to bury your head in the sand and be comfortable in your petroleum cocoon all the while bitching about it, no problem. I am not laughing at the problem. I'm laughing at people like you.
edit on 9/27/2013 by Mike6158 because: cuz

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join