It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man seeking help after North Carolina car crash shot by police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

A woman called 911 after Jonathan Ferrell, 24, began knocking insistently on her front door in a leafy residential neighborhood in Charlotte at about 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said.

The woman, who immediately closed the door on Ferrell after seeing it was not her husband, may not have been aware that he had just crawled out of his wrecked car in nearby woods, police said.
Three police officers arrived, finding Ferrell a short distance from the woman's house. As soon as the officers got out of their vehicles, Ferrell started running toward them, police said.

One officer unsuccessfully fired a Taser at Ferrell, but he kept running. Randall Kerrick, another officer, then shot Ferrell several times with his service weapon, killing him, police said.

Police found Ferrell's wrecked car later in the morning.

The police department has placed all three officers on administrative leave while they investigate the shooting. Detectives charged Kerrick with voluntary manslaughter on Saturday.

"Our investigation has shown that Officer Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter," the police department said in a statement.

Source

This is just another example of our over zealous and poorly trained police officers. It seems they are ingrained with a "shoot first" mentality. What amazes me is the large number of shootings of unarmed civilians by LE officers over the last few months.

Does anyone know if this propensity to shoot and attack citizens is part of a new training program that is being used for LE or is this more a product of the mentality of those that seek LE positions?
edit on 2013/9/15 by Metallicus because: Spelling Error

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

wow, here we are again.

you have to start wondering if this is what they are being trained to do.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Wow that's sad indeed. Poor guy probably in agony and seeking help gets whacked off police!...I can understand the lady getting a bit scared, But the police should have known a lot better. There was a huge outcry in my town last year. Police tasered a blind man because they thought his white cain was a samurai sword! How dumb is that!!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

At least on the so called brighter side of this tragedy, the cop has been arrested and charged! A rarity for sure in the many cases such as this that we seem to face on a daily basis in the Police State of America......

But as for your question are they being trained to act like this, I would have to say, "Yes they are!". Just look at them being trained and funded by Homeland Security to be a militarized force versus police officers to protect and SERVE those in their communities. Look at the SWAT teams busting down doors of a dairy farmer selling raw milk for one example........

I see so many parallels in the United States versus the rise and power of Adolph Hitler that it's becoming scary.
Whomever coined the phrase "History Repeats Itself" was a genius!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

So did Farell only knock on the door insistently or did he said something like "I had an accident, please help me" If so, why didn´t the women in the car told that to the police?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The primary problem is that these "officers" are now being trained that they are in a "war zone" and many of them actually were in the sand for way to long.

Training is correct. They are now trained that "OFFICER SAFETY" Trumps "PUBLIC SAFETY".

On another board I read frequently, the common phrase is "Did the officer make it home safely?"

It has become a joke but that appears to be all that matters.

Target the wrong house in a swat raid, kill 2 dogs that were in a cage and a homeowner... no problem... are the officers OK?

Until police are trained to be police and not Soldiers AND there is true accountability for gun happy clowns and shoddy investigative work (example, not swat raiding a residence at 3 AM unless you are sure it is the right address AND the person you are looking for actually lives there AND something that has gone out the window which is "justifiable use of force". You don't need a swat team to perform a military style attack on people if simply knocking on the door would perform the same result.

Until Police and Judges are held accountable, it will only get worse.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

Well, there have been a lot of zombie movies lately, maybe they thought he was going to eat their brains.

Did they use zombie ammunition?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

the woman was in her home , not in a car .

maybe the man was so injured that he could not speak .

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by OneManArmy

Well, there have been a lot of zombie movies lately, maybe they thought he was going to eat their brains.

Did they use zombie ammunition?

Maybe they are hitting the old 'roids a little too much and its rewiring their brains to chimp with a gun, and a score to settle. I mean Id be angry if my penis shrivelled into an unusable embarrassment.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tom.farnhill

replace car with home and the question remains

top topics

join