It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Found These Strange Rocks in a Garage Sale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yesterday I was coming back from work, there was an old asian lady making a garage sale. Some unusual items were displayed. Between them there was a set of rocks (sorta little collection). I got a nice one with a little seashell fossil, another that looks like an arrow had and other one with an strange silver shine.

Between them, there were these 2 also, i bought them too..., just in case (25 cents each LOL). They look like some of the meteorite photos you can find in the web, also they seem to be a bit too heavy for their size. So, my expert friends, what do you think?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Are they Heavy and feel a little like metall? then maybe you got some meteorites

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

D0MiNAT0R 1OOO
reply to post by Trueman

Are they Heavy and feel a little like metall? then maybe you got some meteorites

Yeah, maybe yesterday was my lucky day.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

I'm not an expert by any means but it may be Basalt rock also called volcanic rock.

I would link a picture but I haven't figured out how to from my phone as of yet.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Super heavy ... maybe meteorites.
Super lite ... maybe volcanic.
Take them to a science center and ask a geologist.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Here is the one with the shell :

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

I'm gonna guess volcanic rock. I see a lot of these where I live.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

TheLieWeLive
reply to post by Trueman

I'm not an expert by any means but it may be Basalt rock also called volcanic rock.

I would link a picture but I haven't figured out how to from my phone as of yet.

I checked that on the web, they look like some volcanic rocks photos too. If they are Basalt rocks, they made a long journey to a garage sale in New Jersey.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

TheLieWeLive
reply to post by Trueman

That was my first impression as well; volcanic rock.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
If one side is more "smooth" then it could be a meteorite,because of friction when reentering the atmosphere.
don't know for sure though

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Look volcanic to me. Though I've sometimes seen slag deposits that look a bit like that.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Unfortunately not meteorites, but still very cool rocks! Most likely basalt! Meteorites will NEVER have holes in them this is one of the best tell tale signs that it isn't one. The holes are from when the rock formed with air bubbles and spaces in the rock.

Great find though!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I collect meteorites, and that is definitely not one. I find these sorts of rocks near Railroad tracks sometimes. They are, as others have mentioned, most likely volcanic.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sunspot0

Then it has to be a fragment because I can´t imagine it to not spin while falling.
Those stones look like the ones we had in a indoor fountain. This and the shell makes me believe those are volcanic/basalt rock

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Trueman
If they are Basalt rocks, they made a long journey to a garage sale in New Jersey.

I've got a bucket full of ocean floor fossils that I dug up in Ontario Canada. (we live outside of Philly). And I've got some rocks from the desert south west .... yellow sulfur and something blue .... Rocks travel. It'll confuse the heck out of people in the future investigating this time period when they dig us all up. ha ha

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thanks for all your replies, I've been educated today.

...Guys, you know what...., I think I have a new hobby now.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This can help you identify a Meteorite

What you have looks more like basalt, they are smooth due to wind or rain weathering, but were produced by a lave flow or other volcanic activity.

I have a small rock collection, they are fun to gather as long as you are doing it respectful of the land and laws.
edit on 15-9-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Have to remember that the continental US has not always looked the same or had the same topology. For instance, in the Cretaceous, the US had a large inland sea that nearly cut the country in two. The Appalachians were once active volcanoes. There were periods where massive lava flows covered parts of the country. Geological time is pretty fascinating stuff. Here's a page on New Jersey's geological history that you might find neat: vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Looks like slag from a steel plant.Have any around your area.They use it for railroad bed rock in my area.Stuff is everywhere around here.

new topics

top topics

join