It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LEAKED: The Internet Must Go

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

This documentary follows the market research of John Wooley, whom in 2012 was apparently employed by large ISPs in an attempt to sell the idea of a "faster", "cleaner" internet.The film takes place over a 6 month journey; speaking with many advocates for internet freedom, business owners, and ordinary people from all over America.

The basic idea is that Verizon, AT&T, etc, would provide the internet on the basis of having a "slow-lane" and a "fast-lane". Corporate approved websites are prioritized and everything else takes the slow lane unless they pay the fee. It doesn't stop there, they even plan to surcharge us for the privilege of using their fast lanes. The idea is essentially to turn the internet into cable TV, so surcharges on "premium" stuff (hyped media) and an ever increasing bill.

Being that John is employed by these companies throughout the film he takes the position of being on the side of the major corporations, but finds it very difficult to argue their case. This leads him to doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to try to justify the plan, but it all starts to crumble when a particularly interesting lead sends John to North Carolina to investigate claims that people had attempted to build their own infrastructure to provide internet; as currently they have none bar one high altitude location in town where kids go to do their homework.

Really an excellent watch. Something everybody that cares about the internet and freedom of speech needs to be aware of as time passes, this is an issue that can't afford to go unnoticed by anyone.

edit: i wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so if a mod/admin thinks it more appropriate elsewhere feel free to relocate it!
edit on 15-9-2013 by thoughtfuldeliquent because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2013 by thoughtfuldeliquent because: typos & clarity

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I wonder if there is a similar thing going on in Europe, where governments are a bit more protective of internet freedom and such.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

IraLevant
I wonder if there is a similar thing going on in Europe, where governments are a bit more protective of internet freedom and such.

I can't answer that for Europe, but here in Australia, Telstra (our local monopoly telecom) wants to do similar. Particularly they want to throttle peer to peer downloading.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I believe it's only a matter of time before internet usage is severely restricted. I also believe that the internet has played a key role in thwarting the PTB plans for global government.

Many, including myself, have been awakened to the nefarious plans of these deviants due to news sources that are not controlled by them.

Feinstein wants to define what constitutes a journalist which is another major threat to free speech and free transfer of information.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
mark zuckerberg had said a few days ago that in order for ISPs to provide a better and cheaper service, they would have to reduce the amount of data being transfer which will in term reduce costs.
He had meetings with Telefonica and other companies regarding this.

I think it also fits the op theory....like hell they will take my internetz away!

new topics

top topics

join