It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wierdest Chemical Reaction I have Ever Freaking Seen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
This is just plain weird. It looks the formation of some kind of alien creature in the tank.. Strange indeed...
Reaction between Hg(SCN)2 and heat...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Looks like the product of a Fractal.

Very neat experiment.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Thats so cool
. How hard is it to get a hold of all that?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Woooa that is pretty trippy

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Been used in fire works for a long time i know youve seen the snakes before. Same chemical in fact thats pretty much all it does since its uses are very limited.Though now next time i light off a snake i want to add the sound effects makes it much cooler.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

dragonridr

Been used in fire works for a long time i know youve seen the snakes before. Same chemical in fact thats pretty much all it does since its uses are very limited.Though now next time i light off a snake i want to add the sound effects makes it much cooler.

The EPA would NEVER allow HG (mercury) based compounds to be used in fireworks snakes. Instead, snakes are typically a sodium bicarb product, with a linseed oil that is flammable, resulting in an ash type biproduct when lit.

Just an FYI...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Neat but not that amazing. Ever watch bread puff up in an oven?

edit on 15-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Or get the recipe for honeycomb and make some.

P

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Interesting.

Reminds me of jack and the bean stock.

An interesting endothermic reation indeed.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
instant tree roots, just had fire

Very cool, a bit like the snake indoor firework only.... sort of crazy and out of control like a cancer going nuts expanding

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Yes it does look like jacks Bean Stalk. Funny I just watched Jack the Giant slayer the other day. Maybe Jacks bean where made from a concentrated form of Hg(SCN)2...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
That's some amazing stuff right there. Wonder if I can get some from the campus nearby. Also, I wonder what would happen if you'd powder a whole city with that, and then light the stuff up. Other than a massive amount of cases of arson, the dragon-phoenix arises from the ashes.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

pheonix358
reply to post by daskakik

Or get the recipe for honeycomb and make some.

P

OK so what is honeycomb. Seen this before but it continues to amaze.

The Bot

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

phantomjack

dragonridr

The EPA would NEVER allow HG (mercury) based compounds to be used in fireworks snakes. Instead, snakes are typically a sodium bicarb product, with a linseed oil that is flammable, resulting in an ash type biproduct when lit.

Just an FYI...

Epa had nothing to do with it actually firework companies switched over on there own starting in the 40s and ending as light as the 90s for some companies in china.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

phantomjack

dragonridr

Just an FYI...

Would never?

Link to show you that you are wrong. Just FYI.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Wow they allow mercury in fireworks.. that sucks..

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

ChuckNasty

phantomjack

dragonridr

Just an FYI...

Would never?

Link to show you that you are wrong. Just FYI.

Actually... not anymore. Back when kids used to play with mercury and lead, yes, but it has been banned most places for a long time...

Mercury thiocyanate was used for a while.. discovered by Friedrich Wöhler in 1821.. a firework product called "Pharaoschlangen" was born out of that and available to the public in Germany. It WAS eventually BANNED when the toxic properties of the product were discovered through the death of several children mistakenly eating the resulting solid.

Been illegal in most states since the 40's- I assume the entirety of the U.S. by today.

Pyrotechnic Snakes

Yes, I assume any firework snakes now sold use "sodium bicarbonate" or the like.

It is still possible to purchase Mercury Thiocyanate, however.
-AA

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Heck, show this to Richard Hoagland
and see him come up with his geometry

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AsarAlubat

Yeah, they changed the formula not long ago. But the EPA comment IS true to a certain point. The guy could have argued that the EPA wasn't created but a few decades ago and that Merika stopped the old formula way before that... So in definition, the remark of 'EPA has NEVER allowed it' is kinda true. But since the other guy was talking out of his behind, and had no clue, I was hoping that his/her knowledge level was above the obvious.

I just like a good argument sometimes. Thank you for responding.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Very Cool!
Just don't let it land on your face.
Who knows what monsters might break out of your chest cavity.

new topics

top topics

join