It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tunnels!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
alright, first a little background.

i live waaaaaay up north in fort drum new york. home of the 10th mtn. div. now, back in the woods, (where there aren't any unexploded ordinances) my friends and i go back there and play paintball, drink, throw rocks at each other, and climb on rocks. normal stuff ya! my friend anthony cam eback with us for the first time a few days ago, and told me he had someplace a lot more interesting than this. then he told me about some cold war era tunnels that were built here on base. not neccesarilly, shiny metal hall tunnels, but like cavern tunnels, but they were cut out because of the shape.

does anyone know anything about nuke blast tunnels from the cold war, been in them, or seen them? i'll try to take some pics, but it's gonna be mad dark. like under and up a fat dudes bum dark. but if i do, my friend had a scanner so i'll go over to his crib and post them!

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I know about them. Work in them, in fact.

They were in a hurry back then, and didn't have the spiffy mining equipment we have today. So they blasted the tunnels.

The nitrate residue from early 60's tunnels still gives me headaches.

A tunnel is a wound in the earth. The wound allows gases trapped in the soil to escape. Outgassing substances that are either toxic, or, at best, are not toxic but not oxygen. Reducing the oxygen percentage below the 19% barely-capable-of-supporting-life minimum. If you took a mine entry class, they would tell you not to enter a mine without oxygen samplers, scaling tools, mine rescue personell, emergency medical techs and equipment, etc.

Ever hear the saying, "You can't be buried any deeper, any cheaper"?

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 11:13 AM
link   
A tunnel is a wound in the earth. The wound allows gases trapped in the soil to escape. Outgassing substances that are either toxic, or, at best, are not toxic but not oxygen. Reducing the oxygen percentage below the 19% barely-capable-of-supporting-life minimum. If you took a mine entry class, they would tell you not to enter a mine without oxygen samplers, scaling tools, mine rescue personell, emergency medical techs and equipment, etc. Posted by Researcher

Researcher is correct: up in NY, most of the rock units are granite or at least igneous in nature. You likely have some Carbon Monoxide and Methane being released if any coal deposits are anywhere near, but you deffinitely have Radon gas coming out. Radon is colorless, odorless, tasteless, heavier than air, and is produced as a byproduct from the minute amounts of uranium found in granite, therefore is slightly radioactive.

Radon has been linked to some forms of lung cancer, and frequently penetrates into underground structures. Hence, the interest in Radon detectors for the home in those kinds of areas.

Because Radon is heavier than air, the deeper you penetrate a cave, the more exposure you get, and it is possible to go into a deep enclosed dip, and you may be in an environment where Radon has been trapped, displacing all oxygen, and you suffocate.

These considerations are aside from the fact that you really have no idea what kind of structural condition this cave is in, or how old it is. Caveins happen totally at random, and it is easy to get trapped or killed in one. Your survival chances rapidly dwindle to nill if one happens, and no one knows your in there to begin with!

I would not go poking around in these caves, especially in that environment, without proper equipment, including hard hats, lights, an O2 meter.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
it's not a mine, it was a tunnel dug by soldiers during the cold war as a nuke shelter. anthony went back there before, didn't go too far, but he said it was all good. i'll have to ask if he felt weird after that though. i'll take this into consideration. thanks!

[Edited on 03/17/2003 by phoenix_cross]

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Interesting, see any reptoids down their????

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
apparently, drainage sewer and cold war evacuation tunnel are the same thing to anthony.........

hell, it was still fun. kinda stinky, but those sewers stretch forever!!!!! still haven't figured out where they end though.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Dude, be careful.

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Have you spotted a Strange vehicle ? maybe you accessed a FEMA Infrastructure

new topics

top topics

join