It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TEPCO Official: Fukushima is Out of Control

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

I agree,Russia did not mess about in dealing with Chernobyl ,the sad thing about fukashima is that the whole thing could have been avoided so easily.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Maybe because if we acknowledge it, we will be expected to do something about it.

Since we don't know how to fix it, and we don't know what not fixing it will bring, we pretend it is nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately we are looking into the pot of soup called planet Earth right now, and there are so many things floating around above as below that we can't even name most them.

They don't want us to pay attention. Paying attention is just too down right terrifying. That is why the box of sunglasses ended up in the trash bin.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Bread and circuses for the common man, delusion for the rest.

Some things are so horrid they are beyond comprehension. It's called shock and men are incapacitated by it.

No one knows what to do. That is the simple truth. We are dealing with a monster that cannot be controlled.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

Suz,

Agreed. Man will shut out what he cannot comprehend. The waste from this reactor is still gushing out 100,000 gallons of highly radioactive waste daily. The seafood around Hawaii and on the West Coast of the US is totally contaminated at this point and there is NO safe seafood out there anymore.

What is the end result? Japan is trying to build an ice wall right now to hold in the waste but it is sadly, too little, too late. If it works at all how long until the radioactivity off of our West Coast leaves? Is it hundreds of years or in OUR lifetime?

Who knows what Evil lurks in the mind of Men? The Shadow do.....

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Can somebody give info about this ice wall.
I'm intrigued.
Hot steam versus ice wall ??

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

bigyin
Is there a link you could share please ?

eta ... you beat me to it ..... cheers
edit on 14-9-2013 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

The link to the article is at the top of the post. If you are looking for a different link, let me know and I'll see what I can find.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

NightSkyeB4Dawn

Maybe because if we acknowledge it, we will be expected to do something about it.

[...]

Most likely. Also our glorious politicians (except the Japanese I guess) know that they won't be held responsible for whatever happens, since they can blame it on someone else. Thus it doesn't have an impact on their re-election and can be ignored.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Dianec

I can only say for myself I am very interested in it but also take the "small" reassurances people give about this and use that as a way to cope with what its potential is. For example, some posters said it would sink to the bottom of the ocean and stay there a very long time - not ideal but also not a global killer. It's out of my control and the idea it will spread cancer, kill off food supplies (fish, get into rain and contaminate soil), or worse is depressing and only makes me feel hopeless.

The 'sinking to the bottom' doesn't reassure at all, the radioisotop particles will just bioaccumulate up the food chain. Not a good thing for any one.

At this time we are at the mercy of those who are trained to deal with it. I know of a few marines who are currently being trained on nuclear matters. They're being sent to Japan in the next couple of months. I am assuming it is not to actually do work on the rods, but rather confirms what I have heard thus far - they are to begin removing rods 11/1/13.

I'm please to hear that outside help is being sent. From the bit I've read about removing the fuel rods, it's a very risky, last ditch effort at some sort of control over the nuclear materials (but not the contamination).

I think they are trying, and there aren't many choices for how to approach this so they are inbetween a rock and a hard place. They aren't going to let it keep spill into the pacific so that's good news.

That is what is being said but contaminated water continues to spill into the ocean daily. There is talk of an 'Ice wall' and that will take (what is said today) two years to complete and would not stand up to another earthquake.

I do think people care and are trying but I also think they don't want to spread panic so aren't making it a high profile thing. I only know I'm ready to hear it's all secure, no longer getting into our ecosystem, and now it's time to clean up/minimize the damage done. That's all we can hope for unless we have a better solution ourselves.

I agree that panic will not help. But it helps even less to just ignore the situation. We need to bring international resources to bear on the problem. The wars we are fighting - economic, physical, moral - all pale in comparison to this one .

Extinction could very well be at the door.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

I wasn't aware that three melted cores are missing so I either missed that in previous news or it is just being put out there. Just thought I would mention that. I agree - it is a terrifying issue, and I have no idea why they had to beg for international help to begin with. Perhaps for me it is a defense mechanism because I truly don't feel I have any control. But I can assure you I'm angry because this should have been dealt with in 2011, and I'll be paying attentiong to see how much progress they make in November. I am hearing they are going to be moving rods to stop this leaking and I think that's the best option. The chance of a mistake makes that pretty risky but it appears it's the best one. I have read some accounts of 6 years to contaminate the whole Pacific Ocean. Sadly I don't see anything out there that gives us worst case scenarios other than what it would do to the ocean. I imagine this is because it's unprecidented.

So we are left to guess. If it blows up from a quake, more ground softening causing colapse, accident during core removal = 14,000 Hiroshima bombs. What would that mean? I can't answer that but wish someone could.

If it's allowed to continue to drain into the pacific you still have the possibility of it blowing up due to a quake or continued ground softening/collapse (plus more that could make this happen). But lets say they ultimately do this = kill all ecosystems that live in the pacific. Gets into atmosphere so nuclear rain to some extent, which would contaminate soil and therefore food. Would get into ground water eventually as I'm assuming it would never exhaust itself.

Yes - if infuriates me since they built the thing where they did, and did not have a contingency in place. It angers me because I have children that have much longer to live in this world than I do. I don't want them living in a toxic waste dump. With the US so close I do hope we are doing more. I'm not confident we are - need to call in every expert on the planet.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I just had another thought - maybe they can't find anyone who is brave enough to get that close to it. Also, how are they finding people to remove the rods? Can you imagine having that job? It's like asking someone to risk all for the planet. Because if it goes they of course don't have a chance. If it doesn't go they risk being contaminated. Again, I have no clue how far reaching an explosion could be but I imagine all of Japan.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
One of the best things able to stop leaking water is CLAY. I thing it's much better than freezing the ground. Not to mention CLAY's adsorption properties.
I wish to see a "Dream for Japan" type of thread with couple of your unconventional and Hollywood-style ideas.
Dreaming and praying can change things.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
(Sep 13,2013) Regarding the news coverage concerning the contaminated water issue

It is our understanding that Prime Minister intended his statement "the situation is under control" to mean that the impact of radioactive materials is limited to the area within the port of the power station, and that the densities of radioactive materials on the surrounding waters are far below the referential densities and have not been on continuous upward trends.

According to this understanding, we share the same views. Today, the media have reported that a TEPCO employee mentioned his view regarding the contaminated water issue that "the situation is not under control." We have been continuing to monitor the radioactive density at the seaside and the landside. The influence of contaminated water remains inside the inner area of port. The measurement result at sea is far below the detectable limit value or the density limit. We confirmed that there is no continuous increase in measurement results.

Being fully acknowledged of such situation, the TEPCO employee intended to mention the fact that contaminated water leaked into the inner area of port, and that water leaked from the storage tanks. In case we have such troubles, we will take appropriate measures so that there is no negative impact to outer sea.

We fully recognize the great anxiety caused by the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, which continues to affect residents near the power station and the broader society, and we will strive relentlessly to rectify this issue, supported by the Japanese government

Ends DISCLAIMER The original statement is in the Japanese and the English translation provided here is solely for reference purposes. Should there be any discrepancies between the English translation and the and the Japanese original, the latter shall prevail.

Tepco Source:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
So I did this to see how far reaching an explosion at this site would be since they are thinking repair will be decades away. Everytime I see an earthquake pop up there I think of this place, and the possibility of another in 2-3 decades if pretty good. There is also this chance while they are removing rods in this time of a mistake.

I wanted to find out the equivalent of megatons for a Fukushima event. They say an explosion would equate to 14,000 Hiroshima type events. That bomb had, from what I can gather was either .01 or .02 megatons. Most of what I'm finding is saying .02 so the larger number below would be the most accurate. I am putting them both simply because I found the other equivalent.

1 megaton equivalent to 50-77 of the atomic weapons dropped on Hiroshima.
Depending on which of the above is correct I did the math.

14,000/50 = 280 megaton equivalent if Fukushima blew up.

14,000/77 = 182 megatons (rounded) if Fukushima blew up.

2.3 - 5.6 times more powerful than the tsar bomb, which was 50 megatons. This bomb evidently rocked the world for hundreds of miles.

I know the link below is Wikipedia and I really don't like using them as a reference but for this purpose I thought it ok.

50 megatons = The tsar nuclear test blew roofs off of homes if not destroying them altogether - even those hundreds of miles away. People reported feeling a thermal pulse. It knocked out radio as well (in 1961 there were no cell phones or technology like today).

en.wikipedia.org...

I am not at all sure if an explosion of Fukushima would equate to a nuclear detonation but since no one else is exploring what this would look like I thought I would give it a go.

I imagine we would feel it in the US but we are pretty far. I don't know if it could knock out technology for the US but it seems certain it would for sure get North and South Korea. It could trigger a volcano or earthquake. It might even create a nuclear winter. Its my understanding that Rand corp did a study a few decades ago and stated 14,000 nuclear weapons would put us into 3 years of nuclear winter. I cannot find this study however so I don't know how many megatons they were talking about.

I feel the worst at this time for those in Japan. I have to wonder what their media is saying to them about it.

And while they are doing all of this - not only the risk of an explosion but also leaking and further contamination. I liked the clay idea. Just throw blobs of it on there. They better think of something better than this. Something to reverse the process to calm it down. Must be a way.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Welllll.... if there ARE Aliens involved, then I can only surmise they are attempting to transform our world into the type of planet THEY can survive on. Crazy notion, of course, but the whole dang situation leaves me grasping for something to explain the lack of intervention by every freakin nation in the world!

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The rule with Fukushima seems to be 'out of sight, out of mind' unfortunately. But with each passing day, more damage is done and there is less time and opportunity to regain control of the plant. Given the scale, complexity and physical dangers of the overall situation(and Tepco's obvious incompetence), any serious effort to regain control and begin moving in the right direction will require the collaboration of the international community. Without a collaborative all out effort with no expense spared, this disaster will continue to worsen and will eventually have unimaginable consequences.

If we have become so selfish and deluded as a species that we cannot be bothered to unite against a global threat, then we deserve everything we have coming.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
oops
edit on 14-9-2013 by autopat51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Oh,,,It's just now out of control, whew!!! thought there might be a problem and we might have to worry about millions of tons of radiation spilling into the ocean and drifting through the air.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The second the tsunami infiltrated the plant, the situation was official out of the control of Tepco. Anyone under any illusions that 'it's all good' should seek neurological assessment.

Nuclear power has never been in the 'control' of humans- we've only used it.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

MisterMahound
The second the tsunami infiltrated the plant, the situation was official out of the control of Tepco. Anyone under any illusions that 'it's all good' should seek neurological assessment.

Nuclear power has never been in the 'control' of humans- we've only used it.

Thank you. Some people need to be told the obvious.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

3 Months after the disaster scientists used air filters in Seattle to conclude the average person in that city was breathing in 10 hot particles a day. Imagine how many "hot," particles we are breathing and eating now. Now radiation has been coming at North America for over 850 days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join