It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A response to putin's letter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It seems that Putin's letter has hurt the feelings of US politicians with the sentence about exceptionalism.
Will it turn into a soap for all of us to enjoy in the coming days/weeks?

www.scribd.com...

Reading this letter, i wonder if the politicians have understood his point.
The nazi's saw them self as exceptional, populism leads to separation, at least that is how i read it.

I also have a question, is the US government limited?

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
CNN went on a defensive offence Putin trashing for the whole day when NYT published his letter. This letter has the same nuances reminding him he shouldn't to be president by somehow exceeding his limit.

It's a natural response however. The truth hurts.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by earthling42

Is this really written by a U.S. Senator?

America is an exceptional nation - that is, one like no other, not just now but in history - because it is dedicated to the universal principle of human liberty.

Mr. DeMint, would you mind to explain how the Patriot Act, the Homeland Security Act, the National Defense Authorization Act, or the NSA spying on your allies and your own people fit into that universal principle?
Exceptional indeed... Heinrich Himmler's wet dream.

This is grounded in the truth that all men - not just Americans - are created equal and endowed with inalienable rights by their creator.

Tell that to all the civilan victims of U.S. drone strkes in countries the U.S. is not even officially at war with.

Write about all that in your new book Mr. DeMint! (shameless plug btw...)

Laughable.
edit on 14-9-2013 by ColCurious because: typo

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Heritage Foundation, Phooey. The garbage these guys have spewed out over the years is appalling. I skimmed through the letter earlier today. I believe one talking point was how Putin has exceeded his term limit. The limit is 2 consecutive terms. Putin served two, handed off to Dmitry Medvedev and is now back. Unless Im seeing this incorrectly, it seems he followed the law to the letter. And yes I know, he never REALLY left.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

America is an exceptional nation - that is, one like no other, not just now but in history - because it is dedicated to the universal principle of human liberty.

I'm just not seeing how the US is an exceptional nation.
I don't see how the people there are more free than people of Canada, or the Scandinavian countries, or much of Europe, or Iceland.....

To be "exceptional", doesn't that mean to be the best at something? Whether it be education, longevity (healthiness), sciences, personal freedoms.....

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Im on mobile rigjt now.....but,

Oh.

My.

God.

Yea.....ill be back shortly to throw in this Texans dos pesos.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Being an American, I have no problem with Putin's letter. What he said is true. The sooner our government gets off the high horse the sooner the USA will get back to actually having the American dream. We are no better than anyone else and like Putin said we are all created equal.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
There is no denying America is a great nation.

But so was the:
UK
France
Spain
Mongol empire
Roman Empire
Macedonia
Persia
Babylon

Like all of them the USA will fall. Unless something catasrophic happens then it most likely wont fall this century but I garentee by 3000AD most like 2500 AD the USA will be just a page in the history books next to the UK. And seeing as super powers come from random places in 500 years time it will most likley be the Baharman confedrancy or the Fuji empire we will all be complaining about.
edit on 14-9-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
and I am back....

...i am not going to mention the laughability of the US protecting civil liberties. I want to mention the ludicrous notion that we provide for the protection of inalienable rights to all humans, even non Americans.

When i talk about Gitmo, I am always told, "They are not Americans, so they don't enjoy the same rights". Then when we bring up the Geneva Conventions...I am told, 'but they aren't soldiers!!!".

DeMint, you are a liar. Flat out. Until you put air conditioning in Gitmo and treat them the same way Bernie Maddoff is treated (your old friend, no doubt), you are an effin liar. And you make me sick.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Here we go.....

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It seems like John McCain could not stay behind so he spouted some dirt about Putin and his associates.

I think the Russians will give him a mirror for christmas.

They don't respect your dignity or accept your authority over them. They punish dissent and imprison opponents. They rig your elections. They control your media. They harass, threaten, and banish organizations that defend your right to self-governance. To perpetuate their power they foster rampant corruption in your courts and your economy and terrorize and even assassinate journalists who try to expose their corruption.

english.pravda.ru...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I read that too. It was like he was saying it about Putin, but it could be read as being about our congress. Scary, no?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Yes, and it is the same everywhere, also in Europe.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

The old adage applies then: when you point your finger, four point back at you (or something like that)

McCain really never should have jumped into this, nor should anyone involved in American politics. It would have been far better to have just brushed off Putin's remarks as a madman's ravings (as true as they were). By opening his mouth he has invited far to much spotlight onto a comparison of what he claims Putin has done and what American lawmakers have done. At least in my opinion. Not that the American media will ever show such a thing.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

You're right indeed, it is unworthy for high placed politicians to lower themself to this kind of crap, or of course, it reflects their intelligence.

McCain could at least have been to the point, making the case why Putin was or is wrong in his effort to protect Syria, that would have been far more mature than just attacking Putin and his associates.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Now this is how it is done , by none other than Sen.McCain worldnews.nbcnews.com... from the link, in part

McCain says Putin 'destroying' Russia's reputation in biting retort

John McCain has taken a page out of Vladimir Putin's book just one week after the Russian president posted a biting op-ed in the New York Times, writing his own piece for a Russian news site.
By Jim Maceda and Henry Austin, NBC News
MOSCOW -- Sen. John McCain said Russian President Vladimir Putin is "destroying" his country's reputation in a blistering op-ed article for one of the country’s leading news websites early Thursday.
The Arizona Republican accused Putin of allying himself with tyrants and ruling through violence and repression, a scathing retort to a New York Times editorial by Putin last week.

"He is not enhancing Russia's global reputation," McCain said in the piece published on Pravda.ru. "He is destroying it," adding that by befriending tyrants and making enemies of the oppressed, Putin was losing the trust of nations seeking to “build a safer, more peaceful and prosperous world.”

“President Putin doesn't believe in these values because he doesn't believe in you [the Russian people],” he wrote.
“He doesn't believe that human nature at liberty can rise above its weaknesses and build just, peaceful, prosperous societies. Or, at least, he doesn't believe Russians can. So he rules by using those weaknesses, by corruption, repression and violence. He rules for himself, not you,” he added. Questioning Putin’s alliance with Syrian President Bashar Assad, which he called one of “the world’s most offensive and threatening tyrannies,”

McCain asked: “How has he strengthened Russia’s international stature?”
“By supporting a Syrian regime that is murdering tens of thousands of its own people to remain in power and by blocking the United Nations from even condemning its atrocities,” he said, answering his own question. “By refusing to consider the massacre of innocents, the plight of millions of refugees, the growing prospect of a conflagration that engulfs other countries in its flames an appropriate subject for the world's attention.”
If nothing else, McCain knows how to retort.

top topics

join