It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have 1 dollar a day to feed yourself... explain how you would do it????

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes 2minute noodles,I forgot about that! Even in this monstously expensive-to-live-in country,one can still get 2 packets for just under the local equivalent of 1$.And rice-maybe the smallest bag of some brands may just come in under a dollar-but I'm not certain of that.But a small packet even may leave some over for the next day-rice is filling.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If' even the lowest of the working actors is only living on $1 a day...

well, thats probably why we have so much reality tv

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
It's strange because I know there's people that eat for less than 30 dollars a month. It just seems insane. I remember back in 2000 my grocery budget was about 100 bucks a month. It's back down now I think I'm only spending about 150 a month. But I really don't buy anything expensive at all. I mostly live off some fruit some veggies and pasta. So I guess that's not expensive at all. That's like 5 bucks a day, and that's just cheap. Food prices have gone up I noticed lately.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

ya I think reality tv is cheap to make

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Go to your mum's and eat
, save 5 bucks and get your oatmeal, beans and rice.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I'd buy a squeegee and a bucket go make that $1 into a $5 and keep going

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
This is how I give a family of 4 a nice meal for cheap,well one example:
Fry one large chicken breast with 1/2 onions+a tomato(whatever bits+scaps of veggies you have in your fridge or freezer(if we have,say corn,or carrots left over from a meal,I save it in our freezer in small containers)

add chicken stock,herbs+spice according to what you have that is compatible with chicken,dice the chicken when its almost done+firm enough to be diced,and then stirfry till done adding a cup of milk about 5 minutes before done+that adds a more creamy-ish element.

Then you have that with rice,mashtater or noodles.Nice,and a fairly cheap meal for 4 people.Always freeze leftover bits of veggies throughout the month-once a week they can be thrown together with a grated potato+there you have the makings of a nice+healthy soup.Or use as an addition to a sauce,to bulk it out+stretch it,like the cheap chicken dish I mentioned above.

DON'T DISCARD POTATO PEELS-if you make fries,save the skins,covered with water,in a container in the fridge-the next day fried tater-peels make a filling snack for the kid's-or lunch. I've seen some restaurants here actually serve fried peels+a sauce like mushroom or cheese+peppercorn,as a legit part of their menu.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

You can also ferment the potato peel ...

Not liking your new avi ... is there a story ?
??

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

winofiend
starving actors? oxymoron?

they're either not acting very well, hence not very good actors, or they're good actors, and therefore not any where near starving.

I could be wrong, I have never known an actor. It's a presumption on my part.

edit on 14-9-2013 by winofiend because: someone buy me a working set of hands to go with my keyboard plox!!! oO

Totally presumption.
Has very little to do with talent and more about being able to keep up with the cost of classes, photos, postcards, workshops, networking events, fashion, parties (gotta stay social because people only wanna work with people they trust and know), blah, blah, etc.
It can be quite expensive chasing a dream.
Most people get tired by the time they get into SAG/AFTRA and fall into a 9 to 5 job for security.
Starving for your passion ain't easy.
As for the OP.
I usually eat a $1.65 burrito from 7/11 a day and chase it with a cup of coffee $1.80. The rest is water.
It's totally unhealthy but it's cheap. Been doing that for a bout a year.
Other than that, Costco. Plan ahead. Rice, beans, Muscle Milk, Tuna(try not to think about radiation or mercury), Eggs, and lots and lots of veggies and fruits.
$1.00 a day is tough but if you break it down after you plan ahead, you might get close.
I think I spend around $50.00 every 2 weeks food shopping.
I try to get a decent deal on chicken breast (make a few days worth of chicken salad), 3 lbs. of beef and the rest is on fruit and veggies (kale or spinach), and a little dark chocolate to keep the spirits up.
Slowcooker recipes go a long way in the fall and winter!
I'm thin but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

or better yet,
save your dollar and find 6 earthworms a day and a tap with clean water.

An average sized earth worm has about 7 grams of protein. A 'serving' of earthworms defined as 6 earthworms, has 42g of protein.
I have to admit, I've thought about it.

edit on 14-9-2013 by MildyAmuzed because: added text

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Bananas are pretty cheap. Usually, about 5 or 6 of them can be under a dollar. That's how I would do it if I had to.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Bananas, ramen, and beans

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Maybe they can check here then ask people who score lower how they manage (they should have about 75% of the world to choose from)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Go for store own / value brands.

Buy RICE. (cheap)

Buy Potatoes (cheaper)

Buy PASTA. (cheapest)

Buy value canned tomatoes, literally a few pence / cents a tin...add to the pasta, throw in some mixed herbs and salt and black pepper and maybe a bell pepper and a couple of onions...and you'll have a healthy, filling and fairly nutricious meal.

Change to rice and mixed beans, like kidney beans (cheap), value baked beans (cheap) and so on.

Potatoe cakes made from mashed potatoes, baked beans and a few herbs are tasty and filling.

I HAVE fed my family befoe now on such a budget, it's doable.

I even lived on cornflakes for a fortnight years ago because i was so skint.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
i live in the u.k and your $1 is about 65p it would get you a cheap bar of chocolate or 500g of rice value brand at asda/walmart .

lucky my neighbour works in a local store i get all the reduced produce at night it is the only way it would be possible in this country .

i live like a king
for $20 a week that way get all my bread at nights reduced $3 does me a week for bread i grow all my own food that i need and get chicken's from my friends who keep them on my ground as i will not kill a animal i only eat fish or chicken .

since feb 1st i have only spent £600.00 max [$900 and that includes tobacco and gas and electricity plus my phone $15 per month .

i have a good bank balance it is just that i am a tight jock xxxx we have a image to keep up years ago i used to spend that per week .

a chicken in our local supermarkets is £5 or $ 7.50 to give you a idea how expensive this country is and a pack of cig's is $ 12 and a 5 mile round trip on the bus is £3 or $ 4.70 tip suck up 2 the person who reduces the food at your local store
i do all their painting but it saves me thousands per year i travel for free on buses spend $5 a week on electricity having a great time

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think the best possible thing to get (and sadly this is only at Walmart that I know of) is an 8-pack of hotdogs for $1.

Buy those one day and buy an 8-pack of buns the next for 99 cents. Protein and carbs will be crucial for energy in survival situations.

You also have to consider the vitamins and nutrients that will be needed though, so every once in awhile a superfood will be necessary. Something like cabbage, which is also very cheap and discount stores.

Now will any of this be the healthiest of alternatives? No. But honestly, I could survive in my area off of $0 a day. It wouldn't be fun, and I would be eating pine needles and what not, but it is doable.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Hey OP, since you need Vitamin C in your system to prevent scurvy, how about buying a lemon, because its much better than Liposomal C.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I can get a 5-pack of ramen noodles where I live for $1 still. I'm not sure how expensive rice is, I don't buy it often because we got sick of it in a broke-as-hell stretch and none of us will touch it. I think it's around $3 or $4 for a 5lb bag?

I think the cheapest food you can eat in the US is beans & rice, separate or combined (both being dried goods) I've had beans & rice sans any seasonings, I can't recommend that to anyone. I suppose if I had to survive on it, I'd go hungry a day or 2 and buy some herbs & spices when I can, they have benefits for health, too.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm growing about 50 lbs at least of sweet potatoes in my backyard. The cost $0. I just replanted some clippings.
I also have three tomatoes plants. Cost? $0. I grew them by breaking some braches off other tomatoes as an experiment to see if they would grow. They are thriving. I almost cant' believe it.

I also have onion seeds that I saved from an an onion I grew that I let go to seed. Coat $0. Also all of my spaghetti Squash and butternut squash at $0. And my romaine lettuce.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I would do all my shopping on the first day.

I will use £ instead of $ because I'm British.

Tesco value bread medium sliced(dampen the crust a little and put in the oven for 5 mins at medium heat to make it as good as expensive bread). 60p

Iceland ten eggs £1

Asda 3 tins cheap baked beans in tomato sause 50p

3 packs noodles with flavouring 50p

1kg margarine £1

2l milk £1

Large bar of galaxy chocolate £1

Salt 20p

Self Raising flour £1

tin of new potatoes 17p

Week 2

Sugar 89p

Bread 60p

10 eggs £1

3 tins of beans 50p

3 pack noodles 50p

Bag mixed frozen veg £1

Bag tesco value spuds £1

Large bar galaxy £1

Pepper 44p

Week 3

Beans 50p

Eggs £1

Bread 60p

noodles 50p

18 stock cubes £1

bag rice £1

Jar cheap fruity curry 4 serings 20p

Economy fish fingers 12 £1

Bag of jelly babies £1

Onion 30p

ect ect ect

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Hi Timely ah yes the fermenting

About the avi,its part of a series of shamanic-style photo's using photographic techniques,and I love the contrast of these 2 colors-but I'm starting to realise it comes across as looking like I've been beaten up

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join