It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Functioning 'Mechanical Gears' Invented by a Damn Insect!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Sep. 12, 2013 — Previously believed to be only human-made, a natural example of a functioning gear mechanism has been discovered in a common insect -- showing that evolution developed interlocking cogs long before we did.

Bug

Gears

Close up on gears

Article here

Well the article says that evolution developed bla, bla, bla...But I feel this is more evidence of intelligent design but who cares. Pretty cool nonetheless.

What do you guys think?

The Rat.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Nice but, doesn't look real...I call photoshop! Edit to add: I'm talking about the image of the bee lol

But think about it, Lets say evolution happens for no reason other than just because. If that is the case then the first cells that mutated or what ever into this jumping bug are by default the actual and irrefutable inventors and creators of this gear mechanism. That being if they are only only bugs to have gears.

Kind of makes you want to want to slap a Geppetto looking old man upside the head while he is making a really cool and intricate watch and make him pay royalties to the little jumpy bug foundation...that by the way I'm creating to pay restorations to these poor little overlook fellas.

The Rat.

edit on 14-9-2013 by TucoTheRat because: jump, jump, jump, jump up, jump up and get down

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Repeating patterns are common in nature.
But, I will admit this is a really nice function as a result of that fact.
It's like a micro kangaroo with Posi-traction. Nice accurate jumps.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Yeah, totally!

If you click on this link and scroll down on the article you can see a nice gif of the little bugger jumping plus the gears working.

scroll down untill you see the animated gif

The Rat.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
WOW!This is amazing...Nature never stops amazing me,i guess its smarter than us by far..a whole Consciousness perhaps.Thank you for sharing

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TucoTheRat

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hey thanks a bunch Furrytexan!

It's just amazing seeing that little guy jump, wish I could do that

The Rat.

top topics

join