It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mechanized Drones aren't the only ones in our society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I remember the way things used to be in America - people had freedom to pursue happiness and they had the freedom to be creative and make choices and communicate with each other about issues. There was discussion, there was getting to know other people. Individuals had control over their own destinies.

However, that is not the case today. Every one of us, when we go to work, or when we come home, or when we talk to others, we are not using any kind of intuition or any kind of creativity, we have become mechanized. The rules seem to be strict and totalitarian.

I'll give an example from Magic: The Gathering. This is a card game that has devolved into people building net decks, and the simplest decks imaginable based on which one is more expensive. Some people listen to podcasts, I guess, to improve - but from what I can tell, not a single person is taking the time to improve their skills through, heaven forbid, building their own decks and communicating with other people in order to throw ideas off each other.

Those would both be high crimes against society, and thus it stands in all society. Is it any wonder that John Kerry doesn't know the first thing about Syrian culture or what is going on over there, if he is not allowed, in our society, to investigate? I wonder how many questions he's not allowed to ask because of social norms?

And how is that going to help anyone, if everyone from our leaders to our people are too stupid to think for themselves? You know what it is going to do? It is going to result in one of two things. An oligarchy where the people at the top have a monopoly on freedom, or a society where no one does, and we go directly down the #ter due to our incompetency.

The freedom to think and create and try new things and socialize outside of shallow and false conversations is not only the cornerstone of a good society, it is the cornerstone of humanity. In a society where one does not have the option to pursue happiness, one does not have anything except a jail sentence to finish before they die.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

darkbake
Every one of us, when we go to work, or when we come home, or when we talk to others, we are not using any kind of intuition or any kind of creativity, we have become mechanized. The rules seem to be strict and totalitarian.

"Every one of us"

Really?
That's a pretty broad brush you're stroking there. I however don't entirely disagree with the threads general premise...

I'll give an example from Magic: The Gathering. This is a card game that has devolved into people building net decks, and the simplest decks imaginable based on which one is more expensive. Some people listen to podcasts, I guess, to improve - but from what I can tell, not a single person is taking the time to improve their skills through, heaven forbid, building their own decks and communicating with other people in order to throw ideas off each other.

I guess for some they are influenced by those they call friends, associates and or keep company with? Broadening my circle of friends, associates and environment has always kept me from stagnation. I've also learned a lot from those of differing cultures, religions, backgrounds and beliefs.

To each their own

edit on 13-9-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks, Slayer, yeah that is a broad stroke I'm painting. I guess I write something and then expect people to criticize it so I can see how wrong my perceptions are. Hearing examples of it not being true are helpful.
edit on 13-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

darkbake
I remember the way things used to be in America - people had freedom to pursue happiness and they had the freedom to be creative and make choices and communicate with each other about issues. There was discussion, there was getting to know other people. Individuals had control over their own destinies.

However, that is not the case today. Every one of us, when we go to work, or when we come home, or when we talk to others, we are not using any kind of intuition or any kind of creativity, we have become mechanized. The rules seem to be strict and totalitarian.

Those would both be high crimes against society, and thus it stands in all society. Is it any wonder that John Kerry doesn't know the first thing about Syrian culture or what is going on over there, if he is not allowed, in our society, to investigate? I wonder how many questions he's not allowed to ask because of social norms?

And how is that going to help anyone, if everyone from our leaders to our people are too stupid to think for themselves? You know what it is going to do? It is going to result in one of two things. An oligarchy where the people at the top have a monopoly on freedom, or a society where no one does, and we go directly down the #ter due to our incompetency.

The freedom to think and create and try new things and socialize outside of shallow and false conversations is not only the cornerstone of a good society, it is the cornerstone of humanity. In a society where one does not have the option to pursue happiness, one does not have anything except a jail sentence to finish before they die.

This is your reality and yours alone - and one that you created. Nothing is keeping you from creating and thinking except you. Frankly, you sound depressed.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

darkbake

Unless you happened to be black...

Just sayin'. Now that the oppression is hitting a little closer to home, some Americans pine for "the good ol' days". You know, when the underclasses were "other people". Only when the shoe is on the other foot does tyranny become intolerable.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Growing up as a military brat & being in the military, I can say that the majority of what you posted didn't apply to me. Didn't, but now I am seeing the changes you mentioned. There was a time when one could say what was on their mind, but doing so now seems to be a bad thing.

Before people had thicker skins and was able to put up with crap. Now, not so much. Instead of the offended person speaking their part and the offender, who also had thick skin, hearing the other side...we ALL now will shun the offender. If that offender is a public person (media, politics, etc.) they are likely to be fired or be attacked with something that wasn't equal to the offensive remark (legal actions, death threats, traded, etc).

Until people are able to speak their mind AND not get beaten up, most will keep to themselves and never learn anything outside their bubble.

As for the military changes...can't say swear words, no more going away hazing, get in trouble for dry humping your coworker, can't do pranks on JEEPs, etc. Getting in trouble for having the new guy get a gallon of the floor cleaner, MIL Spec K9P, is total BS. ...but telling the new NCO that he needs to fill out DD Form ID 10T at Finance never gets old.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

You totally got what I was saying, and described it way better than I did, exactly. Because of how sensitive people are, no one is communicating with people outside of their own bubble, but at the same time -

While one bubble thinks it has eliminated all other thought, so does every other bubble. So what is really being eliminated is, people don't know as much.
edit on 17-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

join