It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop developing laser jammer for F-35

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Northrop Grumman has begun work on the ThNDR (Threat Nullification Defensive Resource) DIRCM system, which will be first fielded on the F-35. The DIRCM requirement will not come into play until the Block 5 aircraft.

It will have to meet LO requirements, and fit into a restricted space. The system will include the beam, the LO window, and beam steering, with a smaller, more powerful laser than current systems. It will be liquid cooled.

The F-35 would have two jam heads, one on top, and one on bottom. It would be tied into the DAS, and would require minimal change to the lines of the aircraft.

Northrop Grumman has begun company-funded development of a Directed Infrared Countermeasures (Dircm) system for fast jets, anticipating a requirement to protect the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter from heat-seeking air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles.

“We believe the requirement is there, and coming quickly, and that the first opportunity will be on the F-35,” says Jeff Palombo, senior vice president and general manager of Northrop’s land and self-protection systems division.

Northrop plans to begin testing a prototype of the Threat Nullification Defensive Resource (ThNDR) system in its system-integration laboratory by year’s end, he revealed at a briefing in Washington Sept. 12.

The timing for development of a laser missile jammer to equip the F-35 “is still in question,” Palombo says, “but we want to get out in front of the requirement.”

Source

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
FINALLY!

I told you Zaph everything was better with lasers!

This sounds pretty neat, are there any other countries you know of attempting this kind of technology?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

DIRCM has been around for several years now. It's used a lot on helicopters and other low survivability aircraft. The AN/AAQ-24(V) is currently in use and Guardian is being tested with the KC-135.

Here is an interesting IRCM timeline.

Currently Elbit, NG, ITT, Selex, and BAE all either have, or have systems in testing.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I've been waiting to hear more about this ever since I played Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour in 2003.. The game heavily features Drones and Airborne laser systems for the US. Of course in the game the lasers were mounted on Raptors, but anyway..

Between that and flares They're pretty hard to shoot down (in the game)..

I had no idea they had been testing this out in reality before that.

Very cool.
edit on 9/13/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

The first active IRCM (not a laser) was tested on the F-4. It would detect the missile and try to give off a hotter source than the aircraft, that would overwhelm the incoming missile. The drawback is that if it doesn't work, you've just given the missile a beautiful heat source.

The first Directed IRCM (DIRCM) system was developed in 1988. Then in 1998 they tested an autonomously firing laser that could hit multiple targets, which leads us to where we are today. Earlier this year, the Guardian system was tested on a KC-135. So far they've just flown it and not fired it, but the Guardian is a bolt on unit that can be attached when they go into a high threat environment.

Thread on Guardian and the KC-135:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I think you're on the wrong website. This is a conspiracy website, not an airplane enthusiast website.

Why don't you try this website, it seems more suitable for your threads:

Website for people who care about airplanes

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

And this is an aviation forum on a discussion board. I'm sorry but last time I looked aviation meant airplanes. If the staff doesn't want me posting this kind of content, then they will let me know, not you. If you don't like what I post, here's a really simple way to get around that. Don't read it. No one forces you to read anything on here, so simply don't bother clicking the things I post. It's that simple.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I gave you the benefit of the doubt so many times when you have talked about planet X, and now you are a rude and unwelcome guest. Don't censor others, or did you forget that one of the main conspiracies that is talked about on this website is the attack on Free Speech?

Now what were you saying about aircraft projects again?

Back to the subject matter at hand.

Do you think they would do any work on say electromagnetic or jamming devices to drop missiles under the jet? I was just wondering because I know some people who worked on modding sidewinders back in the day, and anyway...
edit on 9/13/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Thanks Zaphod for another great informative post. Please keep them coming!

P

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Eventually they'll get into the electromagnetic spectrum of things. They'll have to. The problem right now is size. You don't have a lot of room on an F-35 sized aircraft. Even this laser is going to be a tight fit.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

X, I think it is actually great having Zaphod discussing aircraft on the ATS site. There have been many threads and posts by him that I have found useful in explaining certain aspects of flying craft that have helped in my own assessment of suspect UFO on other threads and when I look at videos. Not to mention the sheer magnitude of his informative contributions which have given me, and I believe many others here, good insight to air operations in and around bases. How they operate, limitations of a specific craft and the basic specs of most models are woven into the fabric of his posts and replies. We seem to spend a lot of time on ATS discussing military hardware, deployments, what-ifs, why's, how's and so on which usually includes some discussion about flying machines and he is usually posting in with something pertinent to the discussion. I have no problem with him throwing useful information my way and so to him I say cheers!

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

PlanetXisHERE

I think you're on the wrong website. This is a conspiracy website, not an airplane enthusiast website.

Why don't you try this website, it seems more suitable for your threads:

Website for people who care about airplanes

I completely agree. This is the latest US tech.

Do you think it will see service against Syria?

Back in reality, zaphod is easilly a top 5 ATS contributor in my opinion.
edit on 14-9-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join