It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Just Bought a Gun. Now what? Learn How to Safely Use and Maintain It.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

TheLotLizard
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Most people wouldn't know that you can't shoot downhill. Or how about shooting times? Where your ammunition is supposed to be in your car. Where you can and can't shoot.

So your focus is hunting regs then?

Not taught in NRA safety classes. Never were.

And why should a gun owner who doesnt plan to go hunting be concerned with the half hour before sunrise?

Well you can't shoot at night no matter what. At least where I am.

And yes in my hunters safety course we learned California regulations also and we're tested on them or we wouldn't get our license.

Would you buy a random car without knowing its horsepower what engine or how to drive it? How about the gas it takes?

Would you not research it BEFORE you buy it?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLotLizard

And yes in my hunters safety course we learned California regulations also and we're tested on them or we wouldn't get our license.

Would you buy a random car without knowing its horsepower what engine or how to drive it? How about the gas it takes?

This is really for the multitudes that have either recently purchased a new firearm, received one as a gift or dug out grandpa's (or grandma's) old weapon and don't really have a clue how to safely handle and maintain it. We all have to start somewhere!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
What the hell do you need a gun for? Unless there's a collapse and anarchy and or you want to catch some deer, you dont' need a gun. In canada most people don't own guns. They're useless unless you want to go hunting. Even then I'd rather just have some traps. Just trap animals. He who lives by the sward will also die by the sward.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Those who will not pick up a sword can still die upon one.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

What the hell do you need a gun for? Unless there's a collapse and anarchy and or you want to catch some deer, you dont' need a gun. In canada most people don't own guns. They're useless unless you want to go hunting. Even then I'd rather just have some traps. Just trap animals. He who lives by the sward will also die by the sward.

Well, the 2nd amendment to our constitution has two widely understood meanings.

They are the poles to any argument about the intent of our founders. Neither has to do with hunting.

The point of this thread is to address the issues related to impulse purchasers of firearms who have not been raised to respect the tool properly already and could use some guidance.
edit on 16-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

shooting for the sake of target practice is actually a pretty fun albeit expensive hobby. So there you have at least one reason other than hunting to own a firearm. You may not agree or find it to be a stimulating activity but hey that is your perogative. Some people enjoy shooting others collecting stamps, live and let live.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

greencmp
It isn't clear for how long you, as a law abiding citizen, will be able to purchase a firearm.

Many of us are getting the hint and taking the step that we would have put off if we had confidence in the future retention of our civil liberties. It is getting to the 'now or never' stage.

It is a tool, it is your responsibility to learn how to safely use and maintain it. Would you buy a table saw and not read the instructions and get some expert advice on its operation? No.

Okay, you Just Bought a Gun. Now what?

I’m always amazed when I walk into local gun stores and I don’t see them putting together package deals that offer new gun owners a starter kit that give them everything they need to enjoy their new guns right from the start.

'now what'..?

Never point it at you.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by warriorscholar81

Some people enjoy shooting others collecting stamps

Why would you want to shoot someone's stamp collections!?

Oh wait, I misread that.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Yeah lol, I realized I kinda miswrote it. A comma would have made all the difference. My fingers move faster than my brain sometimes.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

thisguyrighthere

TheLotLizard
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Most people wouldn't know that you can't shoot downhill. Or how about shooting times? Where your ammunition is supposed to be in your car. Where you can and can't shoot.

So your focus is hunting regs then?

Not taught in NRA safety classes. Never were.

And why should a gun owner who doesnt plan to go hunting be concerned with the half hour before sunrise?

lol, im in california and i went bull frog shooting with my .308 at night. Flashlights help alot hahaha. I was also drinking with my buddys. Yeah yeah yeah yeah i know, drinking and shoot dont mix.

I bought my first handgun 5 years ago without knowing how to operate it. I had to take a safety test of 50 questions, did not study and only missed one question.

Before firing it, i pulled it apart and figured out how it operates. read lots of books and so on. Can now hit a quarter from 25 yards in one shot with my .45.

Later i got my .308 and studied bullet drops,breathing ,and trigger squeeze. I can now hit a quarter from 100 yards. took out a Quell from 125 yards right through the neck, wanted to keep the meat good. yes i did eat it, taste like chicken. lol

edit on 18-9-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

spartacus699

I really enjoy target practicing with my rifles and hand guns. We see who can shoot the tightest groups from multiple distances. Its alot of fun!

I believe one of the most important things in life is to know how to harvest your own food. A gun is a tool used to do such a thing.

For our hand guns, I believe in self-reliance and In the long run, the only person that is going to protect you is yourself. That’s why my wife and I practice with our hand guns. If a intruder ever broke into our home, we would know how to defend ourselves. Because when the police are minutes away, death is only seconds away.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

And I dont care who you are a gun safe is the first line of safety for your gun. Children can easily get into them. Also makes it much more difficult to be stolen.

It's a VERY expensive line of defense, and total overkill. The simplest, and cheapest, is a trigger lock. It also grants faster access when you need it. I also keep mine in a locked closet.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well, if you didn't have that hockey stick Dresden, you would keep your weapon in usable condition and at the ready.... like your hockey stick or that cool bracelet you have.

edit on 19-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join