It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Just Bought a Gun. Now what? Learn How to Safely Use and Maintain It.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It isn't clear for how long you, as a law abiding citizen, will be able to purchase a firearm.

Many of us are getting the hint and taking the step that we would have put off if we had confidence in the future retention of our civil liberties. It is getting to the 'now or never' stage.

It is a tool, it is your responsibility to learn how to safely use and maintain it. Would you buy a table saw and not read the instructions and get some expert advice on its operation? No.

Okay, you Just Bought a Gun. Now what?

I’m always amazed when I walk into local gun stores and I don’t see them putting together package deals that offer new gun owners a starter kit that give them everything they need to enjoy their new guns right from the start.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Shouldn't you learn how to properly handle and maintain a firearm BEFORE buying one?

Just saying.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLotLizard

Kind of hard to get real world hands on experience if you don't actually have a firearm. With that being said a person with little to no experience should take a firearms training course. Actually to become a hunter most states if not all require completion of a hunters safety course.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

Shouldn't you learn how to properly handle and maintain a firearm BEFORE buying one?

Just saying.

you got there before me

personally i would never buy a firearm without knowing how to handle and maintain one beforehand

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

Just saying.

Why? People buy things they dont know how to use everyday. That's what instruction manuals are for.

Some folks have no access to a gun that isnt their own to learn. Some folks can't afford the $200+ fee for the wholly pointless yet mandated in many states classes.

It's like any other tool, toy, product. Take it home and read the instructions before turning it on.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The instruction manual will not tell you about actually how to use it. Do research on it before buying it before hand. Learn safety techniques. Buy a safe first. Learn about the break in periods.

There's alot you can do before you buy its not hard to read a few pages.

And no a gun is most definitely not a toy. And never should be related to one.
edit on 13-9-2013 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Well said sir, well said. For anyone that cares my personal opinion is that if you are only ever going to own one firearm it should be an AK-47. I know the Ak has gotten a bad rap especially in western culture, as it is always seen in the hands of "the bad guy" in the main stream media. However there is a reason it is referred to as the rifle of the revolution. Perhaps Nick Cage's character in a movie called lord of war said it best when he said:

"A weapon all fighters love, an elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It does not break, jam or overheat. It will shoot whether it is covered in mud or filled with sand. It is so easy, even a child could use; and they do".

Now let me state now that I am not advocating the use of a firearm by children unless supervised by adults with permission. The statement is simply meant to reference how easy to understand, use and maintain that particular platform is.

Because of its reliability and durability it is an ideal weapon for a SHTF scenario, where you may have to move often and rapidly not having adequate time to properly service your weapon. Ammo for it is relatively easy to find. Even during the whole ammo "purchasing rush" 7.62 was still available.

The one big hit that firearm enthusiast's might have is it's max effective range is only about 350 yds. This isn't really a big deal considering that most combat engagments happen within about 400 yds anyway. It pretty much is a good standard weapon for anyone. Thats my spiel and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The girlfriend and I took 3 nra classes at our local range before buying our pistols. The classes in my opinion were the best and most worthwhile money I have ever spent. Its scary how many gun owners don't know how to properly own a firearm.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Describes in great detail how to use it: Ed Brown 1911 Users Manual

How does buying a safe help you learn to use a gun?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Just saying.

One would hope so! But, in these times of doubt and haste, acquisition takes precedence and not everybody uses their brain to it's full capacity.

Also, most people have family members who need to have training and learn how to respect the tool as well.

Great point though!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

I thought that was funny too but, at least they discouraged the trigger lock myth that is prevalent!

edit on 13-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

No **** it tells you how to use it in a handbook.

Im saying learning about bullet trajectory, what happens during a misfire, what bullets for different applications. Bullet drop , local gun laws.

And I dont care who you are a gun safe is the first line of safety for your gun. Children can easily get into them. Also makes it much more difficult to be stolen.

The insrustion manual tells you alot about the gun. But not nearly as much as one safety class.

And we wonder why so many people are against guns.

Educate yourself.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

thisguyrighthere

No **** it tells you how to use it in a handbook.

Im saying learning about bullet trajectory, what happens during a misfire, what bullets for different applications. Bullet drop , local gun laws.

And I dont care who you are a gun safe is the first line of safety for your gun. Children can easily get into them. Also makes it much more difficult to be stolen.

The insrustion manual tells you alot about the gun. But not nearly as much as one safety class.

And we wonder why so many people are against guns.

Educate yourself.

Actually, I am reading that PDF now and it is quite thorough and addresses some the issues you bring up. But, one-on-one training is always best. I wouldn't want a doctor to operate on me who had just finished reading about it.

Safe shooting everyone!

edit on 13-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I'm sure you'll love this, I've been a certified NRA instructor for 15 years now and have put hundreds of students though the state mandated class (when I lived in an anti-gun state) and the classes are nothing more than the instruction manual verbalized.

NRA Basic Pistol Course Outline

Simply understanding grade school science is enough to understand trajectory.

Are you talking about teaching tards not to look down the barrel of a gun or teaching people to shoot well because those are two very different things.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Most people wouldn't know that you can't shoot downhill. Or how about shooting times? Where your ammunition is supposed to be in your car. Where you can and can't shoot.

I could go on and on about this.

Im just saying know all of this before you shoot the gun not after. You would be amazed the things I've seen people do with guns.

Think of how many lives would be saved by just doing these steps.

But I guess go gung-ho if you would like.

Even before I buy anything I research it beforehand and read reviews you learn so many more things than just reading the manual.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

Most people wouldn't know that you can't shoot downhill. Or how about shooting times? Where your ammunition is supposed to be in your car. Where you can and can't shoot.

I could go on and on about this.

Im just saying know all of this before you shoot the gun not after. You would be amazed the things I've seen people do with guns.

Think of how many lives would be saved by just doing these steps.

But I guess go gung-ho if you would like.

Even before I buy anything I research it beforehand and read reviews you learn so many more things than just reading the manual.

You should have stopped earlier, now we know you do not know what you are talking about.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

So your focus is hunting regs then?

Not taught in NRA safety classes. Never were.

And why should a gun owner who doesnt plan to go hunting be concerned with the half hour before sunrise?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

True it is just as important to know your local firearm legislation as it is to know how to safely and effectively use your firearm. I referenced the AK has a good standard weapon to own if you were only ever going to own one. I however wouldn't recommend it for home defense in say a B and E situation.

For the sake of combat operations though, it is a solid platform. One should always do research on the characteristics of a firearm based on their needs and intent. In all actuality one should really do research on anything they wish to buy if they are not already familiar, it just seems like common sense.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by warriorscholar81

The thing that concerns me at this point in our transformation of our country is the feds having a record of the recent purchase. They say they don't keep them, but I doubt that very much. They also don't spy on us.

Best way now is to buy from a private owner. Keep off the list best you can.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
There is a big difference between buying a firearm and not knowing anything about it and loading bullets into a firearm you know nothing about. An unloaded firearm is not going to accidentally go off while learning its functionality. You want a cheap, easy and enjoyable way to learn firearms? Visit your local VFW.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join