It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can the learned crew at ATS tell me about RA (that I don't already know)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Hi guys.

An awkward question. It seems as though I may have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Sucks.

I've done the web searches, I've done my homework. I have yet to discuss this at work, officially.
(I work with MD's and would like to keep it quiet as long as possible, though I'm not sure how to hide my hands.)

Diagnosis is not 100%, though talking with folks in the know, they seem to have the general consensus that it is what I am/have been experiencing.

Feet and hands, primarily, and joint deformation is becoming noticeable.

I'm keeping the pain at bay by using OTC analgesics.

Since this is an anonymous forum (though many of you do know me) I thought I'd bring it up. For a while I almost thought of making a separate account just to talk about this. Weird huh?

I have auto-immune issues already (thanks to Iraq) that are treatable and have had no great issues really. But this is becoming a concern and would/could drastically impact my employment sometime down the road.

The sh!t scares me. Guess I just need to talk about it.

(mods, stand by. . . if this becomes too awkward for me, I'll ask that you delete this)

beez

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

First of all, Really sorry to here about this buddy and i really hope this all works out for you but first of all this....

Diagnosis is not 100%, though talking with folks in the know, they seem to have the general consensus that it is what I am/have been experiencing.

You need to get it 100% the quicker you get a diagnosis the easier it is to deal with these kind of things and work out a treatment plan and start cumming up with ways to manage any possible illness. Although to my knowledge there is no current cure for RA the earlier a treatment plan is started the better as the progression of the illness can be slowed.

So first port of call, go to your doctor and get the ball rolling, who knows might turn out to be something else that is not as worrying, although it does seem like you are pretty sure its RA.

anyway hope it all works out for you buddy and keep us up to date with how you are getting on.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I hope that this thread does not become awkward for you Beez!

I hope that you can find some comfort here and get some of your questions answered. Not to mention that someone else with your questions may be reading along getting their answers also.

I do not have RA, but I know several in my family do. As with many ailments, there are good days and bad days for them. Hopefully you will get a fast diagnoses and get the meds you need to ease the discomfort that comes with RA.

Sending you light and love Beezer.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I've discussed this at some length with some medical folks on the quiet. It could be a number of things, but the nodules around the inflamed joints are pretty much a give-away for RA.
(Unless I have carpal tunnel in my feet lolz )

I know sooner is better, but where I work (regardless of HIPAA) there are no secrets, which sucks.

Thanks for your input though.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Thanks.

I should be buying stock in ibuprophen right now, but that seems to take the edge off. I have an aversion to anything stronger (long story).

Appreciate your post.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I was able to do some more research while spending most days in bed. I searched diet and RA. It was frequently cited that cow's milk, dairy and wheat exacerbated RA3. I found that many people claimed that just removing dairy from their diet relieved their symptoms4. Since then, I have met others with RA who also found this to be the case. One lady in my water aerobics class had complete remission with the removal of dairy from her diet. However, she resumed eating it after five years, only to experience a return of symptoms and was having difficulty getting these back under control. I gave up dairy and found it helped. Sneaking a piece of cheese back into the diet brought the return of joint pain and swelling.

www.roadback.org...

Watch what you eat Beezer.

PLEASE try changing your diet! It's a hassle but worth it. I can't tell you how great I feel. This is huge coming from someone who couldn't snap her baby's clothes, had to walk down the stair backwards due to unbearable foot pain, and couldn't turn the ignition on the car with one hand (wrist pain). My entire body was laden with extreme pain. Now, I have no symptoms what so ever! What do you have to loose? Try this healthy diet for at least 3 months (it takes about 2 months to get the toxins out of your body). No cheating. Remember: no gluten, no diary - yogurt is ok, eat only organic - it's expensive, but less expensive then the cost of RA

forums.webmd.com...

I hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Wow. I am a big cheese eater and milk drinker. (don't make fun, I may be old but I still like my oreos with milk!)

I'll give this a shot.

Thank you.

ETA: reaad through and have bookmarked the article.

edit on 13-9-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing this with us.

I wish I could offer some real advice, but I am afraid I don't know much about the subject.

A close relative of mine told me that there were a few things that she felt worked for her. Exercising, should be very important, but I think that almost common knowledge. Eating an alkaline diet might make a difference, it isn't supported by the medical community, but eating stuff like honey and cider vinegar should be good. THC (for the pain) - wink wink - it wont cure you, but it really does help take the edge off.

By the way..
To my awareness - dairy products is something you should avoid, as is mentioned higher up in the thread. There is a lot of acid in it, which could cause it. If you do eat a lot of dairy you should definitely try the alkaline diet.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I have auto-immune issues already (thanks to Iraq) that are treatable and have had no great issues really.

It's all related. Inflammation is a classic sign of auto-immune disorders that can affect more than one area of the body. So, are you or are you not already getting treatment from a doctor for it?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Two things that I have come across in my internet travels that might be relevant to your situation. Apologies I don't have links on hand, but there are plenty of sources online:

1. If this is RA, look into "leaky gut". A great possibility for this condition.

2. Also turmeric for inflammation. You should have it with black pepper (the piperine in pepper amplifies the effect of the curcumin in the turmeric), and some fat, to help it absorb, or something like that. 'Golden Milk' is a recipe I have tried that incorporates these ingredients into a palatable drink.

Please keep us updated with any developments.
All the best.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

Thank you. Diet is something new that I'll have to consider. As stated above, I'm big into dairy products which really stinks.

Appreciate the sentiment.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Deetermined
reply to post by beezzer

I have auto-immune issues already (thanks to Iraq) that are treatable and have had no great issues really.

It's all related. Inflammation is a classic sign of auto-immune disorders that can affect more than one area of the body. So, are you or are you not already getting treatment from a doctor for it?

Just for the older issues, not for RA. As some may have gathered, I work in the medical field so much of my diagnosis has been "underground" so to speak, and quiet visits with a couple of different docs.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Davo163

Thank you. The more I learn, it seems, the more diet does play a huge factor in all of this.

I've yet to find an article which espouses the benefits of a single malt towards RA treatment, but I continue to look!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I would recommend looking into an antioxidant supplement. Antioxidants decrease inflammation which will help with the pain.

I've also read people have had success cutting grains from their diets. You could always try cutting them out for a couple of weeks & see if it makes a difference for you.

Autoimmune diseases & inflammation go hand-in-hand. If you can find what works for you in helping control the inflammation response, it help with your other conditions too.

Best of luck!!
(and get the antibody test run so atleast you will have a "on paper" diagnosis)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about that.

www.notmilk.com...

If you are drinking milk or eating dairy.
Discontinue it's use for 6 months to see if your symptoms don't go away.
Could be an allergy to casein

British Journal of Rheumatology, 36(1) 1997
"In the case of the eight year old female subject, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis was a milk allergy. After avoiding dairy products, all pain was gone in three weeks."

Despite there being no information on the internet linking
dairy consumption to rheumatoid arthritis, and nothing in
medical journals (I've searched online medline), we made a
resolution together to discontinue drinking our own milk,
and not eat cheese or any other dairy product for six
months, just to see if there would be some improvement.

Damn. I have to tell you this. Catherine feels like she's
been to Lourdes. She's cured. There is some pain, but most
is gone. I've had changes too which I'll discuss some other
time. I thank you, and curse you at the same time. Milking
cows is my livelihood. I've always believed that what I was
doing was the right thing. I'm not going to sell my cows and
sell my farm. I love the business. I just don't feel that
good about it anymore. You were right about the arthritis. I
don't know about the cancer and heart attacks, but you have
given us a miracle that doctors were not able to provide. It
did not take us three to six months to learn the truth. It
took just three weeks. I've ridiculed your work in the past.
Please accept my apology.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Once my diagnosis is on paper, then it becomes part of my record.

Insurance issues, work issues, finding other jobs (eventually) may come into play.

This is why it sucks so badly.

When it becomes "official" then that may become a determining factor in other areas.

All I want to do is work and be left alone.

I don't need this kind of crap in my life!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I will give up dairy.

It'd be easier giving up booze and smokes.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm a 53 y/o man (caucasian) My mother is 73 and is racked with RA. I have a hypersensitive autoimmune system but no RA factor in my blood stream.

My point being my immune condition came on rapidly when I was 36 y/o with skin rashes, joint pain and cracked feet, extreme peeling to my hands followed by depression and the feeling of "what the hell is wrong with me?".

I was ruled out RA wise by a blood test and rule Hypersensitive to certain foods and eviromental allergens by furthur blood work.

My advice to you is go to a good doctor specializing in autoimmune conditions and find out definitively what your specific ailment is. Learn all you can and seek professional treatment to arrest the progression of, if your diagnosed, your arthritis and or immune condition.

also, as mentioned by other responders, find your personal food intolerances and or allergies and correct your diet. Eliminate food dyes, additives, artifical sweetners, alcohol ( the hardest for me) and crappy foods in general. Also a biggie for me, wheat gluten (long before it became the latest trend).

That's what worked for me and has made it possible for me to be an none foot cracked, none itchy, none peeling (for the most part) happy healthy active old guy.

Good luck and cudos on facing your condition head on (insert old fashioned ATS "thumbs up" here)

edit on 13-9-2013 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Ah, I understand.

Try the elimination diet recommendations & you might be able to find a way to control it better without all the doctors involved. I was told after a diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes that helping control the inflammation response will actually slow the disease progression.

And don't give up the booze. Consider it a coping medication!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

My sympathies, Mr. Beezzer. But not to worry!

My gf has RA, so I do have a teeny bit of experience; but only a bit. Her and I have been together coming up on 2 years but she's had the condition for many. She's only 26.

I don't want to get you more worked up than necessary but currently she does take expensive pharmaceuticals by infusion to treat her symptoms (which is NOT the cause, btw) but since we've met, she tells me she's improving!

I personally belive it's due to a few factors:
1. I've encouraged her to seek alternative and more natural treatments. Unfortunately, her Dr. pushes continous treatement of symptoms, via big-pharma, rather than looking for the cause.
2. I've encouraged her to experiment with her diet. She's found some success here. I've read study reviews linking diet and RA. Particularly dairy and grains/wheats.
3. She's started exercising regularly (WAY more than me) which she says helps a lot. Keeps those joints loosey-goosey. Plus other good stuff, I'm sure.
4. Not to brag, but she told me that she dated some real losers before me so emotionally she has never been happier. I've also read about trauma and emotion being linked to RA.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm far from an expert but I know my gf has lots personal experience living with it. She's not a member of ATS but definitely a big fan (I can't help but share this community's amazingness) and I know she'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

For what it's worth, if she had not told me she has RA, I'd NEVER have known.

All the best, Beezzer!!
edit on 13-9-2013 by Coup_Detat_Cam because: Speleng

edit on 13-9-2013 by Coup_Detat_Cam because: I kant spel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join