It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria now full member of chemical arms treaty, Syria's UN envoy says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
"Legally speaking Syria has become, starting today, a full member of the (Chemical Weapons) Convention," Reuters quoted Bashar al-Jaafari as saying to reporters in New York on Thursday after submitting relevant documents to the United Nations.

"In the next couple of days, Syria will send a petition to the United Nations and Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons," Assad said in an interview with Rossiya 24 news channel.

"The petition will contain technical documents required to sign the agreement," the Syrian president said, adding that "after that, work will start that will lead to the signing of the convention prohibiting chemical weapons."
source and video

I know it's press t.v. but it is indisputable that Syria is a member of the convention. Will this change anything?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by abdel

Thats a step in the right direction.

Iran has also signed the non-proliferation treaty.

Now if we could only get israel to sign.

I guess only the special nations get to have chemical and nuclear weapons.

edit on 13-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by abdel

Syria still has to sign some documents and then has to agree to fulfill the obligations of the treaty...Then of course time will only tell whether Syria will adhere to the obligations...As to whether this action will change anything, perhaps we will know more on Friday when Russia-US talks on Syria are expected to resume.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
US government is hell-bound to strike. it almost looks like Obambi is playing poker and he's out of cards.
almost, because you can bet he has an ace up his sleeve. am i the only one smelling false flag?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Hmmm..this is unusually odd but a good thing I suppose.

We can only wait and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

gladtobehere
reply to post by abdel

Thats a step in the right direction.

Iran has also signed the non-proliferation treaty.

Now if we could only get israel to sign.

I guess only the special nations get to have chemical and nuclear weapons.

edit on 13-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

Things seem to be looking up but I don't think the current trend will extend to Tel Aviv.
No treaty will get rid of these weapons but it might set the standard for withholding them in a conflict.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by abdel

well.... Now let the world pressure Israel to sign the Chemical Weapons Ban Treaty....

And pressure the USA to destroy all the warehoused Sarin, ZX, and Mustard gas It has stockpiled
and continues to delay those Agents being destroyed anytime soon,
( 2021 is the projected date for destruction i hear)

source: www.alternet.org...

...In 1997 the US agreed to decommission the 31,000 tonnes of sarin, VX,mustard gas and other agents it possessed within 10 years.
In 2007 it requested the maximum extension of the deadline permitted by the Chemical Weapons Convention – five years.
Again it failed to keep its promise, and in 2012 it claimed they would be gone by 2021.
Russia yesterday urged Syria to place its chemical weapons under international control.
Perhaps it should press the US to do the same.

...Looming over all this is the great unmentionable: the cover the US provides for Israel's weapons of mass destruction. It's not just that Israel – which refuses to ratify the Chemical Weapons Convention – has used white phosphorus as a weapon in Gaza (when deployed against people, phosphorus meets the convention's definition of "any chemical which through its chemical action on life processes can cause death, temporary incapacitation or permanent harm").

It's also that, as the Washington Post points out: "Syria's chemical weapons stockpile results from a never-acknowledged gentleman's agreement in the Middle East that as long as Israel had nuclear weapons, Syria's pursuit of chemical weapons would not attract much public acknowledgement or criticism." Israel has developed its nuclear arsenal in defiance of the non-proliferation treaty, and the US supports it in defiance of its own law, which forbids the disbursement of aid to a country with unauthorised weapons of mass destruction.

read the article...It covers more than these items...namely the corrupt Security Council of 5 Supreme Equals who are more equal than the rest of the Global community
edit on 13-9-2013 by St Udio because: bold is my emphasis

new topics

top topics

join