It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Just Lit Up Again With a New Swarm- happening now

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Robert Smith said this in 2008 as well.

phys.org...

That doesn't mean it isn't important to listen. I think he simply speaks out when something is out of the ordinary, unlike other scientists who like to keep those thoughts to themselves. It appears if it isn't normal he will tell us.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Dianec

phys.org...

That doesn't mean it isn't important to listen. I think he simply speaks out when something is out of the ordinary, unlike other scientists who like to keep those thoughts to themselves. It appears if it isn't normal he will tell us.

Thank you for the info big time...how ever this time what makes me wonder is the size of the eq.....well we will see...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

i only vaguely remember the movie but i'm sure there are parts on youtube to look it up. movies like that increase my anxiety but it was a little to over the top for me so i'm not sure i even watched the whole thing.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

eeks4

Dianec

phys.org...

Thank you for the info big time...how ever this time what makes me wonder is the size of the eq.....well we will see...

Yeah he didn't give much info. Must still be analyzing since even they don't know. He has done a bunch if studies on it that's for sure. The one that wasn't in the park but hit every thumbnail was alarming. I am hoping someone will give us an update on uplift and gas readings soon. Their site is always behind on that stuff when I look. Or maybe I'm missing real time data of uplift/gas. Ill look again.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
There have been at least seven quakes today, the biggest so far USGS says is .. 2.7. earthquake.usgs.gov...

M 2.7 - 25km SSE of Old Faithful Geyser, Wyoming

Time
2013-09-23 03:32:50 UTC-05:00
Depth
5.1km

Notice the shallow depths when looking at the over all picture.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

MamaJ
There have been at least seven quakes today, the biggest so far USGS says is .. 2.7. earthquake.usgs.gov...

M 2.7 - 25km SSE of Old Faithful Geyser, Wyoming

Time
2013-09-23 03:32:50 UTC-05:00
Depth
5.1km

Notice the shallow depths when looking at the over all picture.

I hate to bother you and I'm quite sure I could google this question but I don't know what terms to use. Could you please point or explain what shallow means? In other words you said.... " notice the shallow depths..."

I also posted an article in EQ 2013 concerning the deepest EQ recorded and it's stumping Scientist...

Can we please have your thoughts on this or .... (?)

Ty for any help you can give

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Shallow meaning not deep, but close to the surface.

The article about the DEEP sea quake is not something I know too much about other than it has scientists puzzled. You can read more about it here... www.livescience.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

MamaJ

Shallow meaning not deep, but close to the surface.

The article about the DEEP sea quake is not something I know too much about other than it has scientists puzzled. You can read more about it here... www.livescience.com...

lol don't hate me but I know what " shallow " means... Haha I meant is shallow something to be more concerned about or??

I apologize if I didn't explain my question properly. Is shallow worse then deep or no?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

OH! hahaha! Makes more sense then. Glad you DO KNOW the meaning of shallow. Sorry!

I am not sure shallow means anything other than what I have read below along with other sources..

It has been proposed that shallow, frequently-repeating long-period earthquakes (LPs) are the underlying source of volcanic tremor.
adsabs.harvard.edu...

I have no idea what to make of the "noise", but I betcha TA can!!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

MamaJ

OH! hahaha! Makes more sense then. Glad you DO KNOW the meaning of shallow. Sorry!

I am not sure shallow means anything other than what I have read below along with other sources..

It has been proposed that shallow, frequently-repeating long-period earthquakes (LPs) are the underlying source of volcanic tremor.
adsabs.harvard.edu...

lol I don't want to junk up this thread but I do want to say thank-you! You have perfectly answered my question and now I know what to try and look up. Haha you're awesome! Ty

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Sweetie, every bit of that is telemetry error on that particular webicorder. When you guys see those super narrow spikes like that, with no duration, it is always telemetry error. Right now YSB is giving out a lot of those, and has been for quite a while. They just haven't fixed it yet.

But moving on to what you guys posted about Bob Smith, umm- yeah, that it concerning. He is the YS expert that expressed for us not to comment on the constant seismicity because it caused undue concern to the public.

Well, I am one concerned public, and have been for over 7 years. And the more I study YS and the scientific docs that have been put out by him and others, the more I realize they are just about clueless when YS might erupt again. Some symptoms observed at other calderas don't appear at YS, and vice versa. It is a unique monster. And they are tasked with the impossible.

Once the multiple, concurrent swarms started, I expressed this concern, and change, to my contacts. I asked them if anyone was concerned that we were getting seismicity in multiple areas of the park at once. And I was told it was nothing to worry about- that the nature of swarms was probably hydrothermal and/or tectonic.

It appears now that ANOTHER small swarm is opening up on the southern caldera rim. I am very uneasy about this. Usually YS swarms in one place at a time. This does appear to be a change. Too many swarms, too close together. I dunno folks. But I don't like it. At all.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thats why I said in the above post

I truly had NO IDEA WTH it was lol

Im in awe with this particular Super Monster because it's not predictable and if and when it is predictable will be one scary day.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

agree TA i also wonderd why all the swarms this year were all located round the old caldera rim

it must has to be connected to ground up ore douwnlift

edit on 23-9-2013 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't see much of a connection between earthquakes and uplift. There are increases during uplift and increases during decline so it appears they aren't going to be the deciding factor. The fact that there was a 7+ one in 1959 perhaps gives a false sense of security, along with graphs that make it appear the two aren't directly correlated. An older graph (halfway down the page), but what little data they have doesn't strike me as anything remarkable (looks like its breathing). The graph is also frustrating because "if only" it went back about 50 years - more data would help (naturally).

pubs.usgs.gov...

I heard that some volcanoes scream before an eruption (that this one likely would). I imagine if this were to blow we would hear a tea kettle sound for miles. I'm not sure if animal migrations would shift - only if they had some warning. Trees dying are blamed in this beetle so nothing appears to be changing other than earthquakes. Any strange smells in the air would also be concerning.

If something does change I know ATS experts are on top of it. No one else I am aware of on the Internet discuss trends with this thing - in an objective way at least (either doomsdayish or don't want to panic people).

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

note:
YVO would be very hastated to pronounce there concernes about jelly..
couse of an mass panic reaction of the population (such like the war of the world radio broadcast in the 30s )

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

I thank you all for the update and the info..this is something to watch for sure... a mass panic ..yep you are so correct..it reminds me of the movie 2012....just waiting to see...thank you all...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
TA,

What do you make of the seisomometers today? www.isthisthingon.org...

Why are they showing so many squiggly lines? What does that mean?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

The large squiggles are from the 7.7 in Pakistan. And the reason they are showing up clearly on some of the YS stations, despite a lot of them being shortband is- well- because I believe some of the shortband stations have actually been converted to high gain broadband stations. And the webicorder names have not been changed yet to reflect that- like at YMR for example. YMR is actually a broadband station now- and yet it still says SHZ on the webi printout, instead of HHZ. And since broadband stations will show much more clearly the huge S-waves from large distant quakes, that's why you see them at YMR- and at others, like YNR (Norris). YNR has also been converted to broadband, and has a co-located, 3-component accelerometer as well. I'd have to confirm this with my sources to be 100% sure, but let's just say I am 99% sure.

Concerning again the multiple, concurrent swarms, it is quite ironic that the YVO itself has long listed exactly that as a LIKELY precursor to eruptions there. But I guess in this case since they haven't arrived with particularly high magnitudes, they are being given the pass without raising the alert level. They probably haven't detected any radical change in gas emissions either- or in uplift.

But I will leave you all with a note for thought. It has been a mere fifty years or so since serious studies began on YS. IF they have happened to catch YS midway through a long progression leading up to eruption when the observations began, all of this could be very wrong. It could be that the alert level should be at watch instead. 500 years ago, the park could have been dead quiet, or with a fraction of the seismicity that is present now.

Here we have the leading expert Bob Smith stating that these concurrent swarms he has never ever seen before, and yet the alert level doesn't budge. Now contrast this to when Illiamna volcano in Alaska started getting some quakes, and they raised that alert level nearly right away, much to my surprise. Somebody somewhere had to decide that multiple, concurrent swarms at YS still fits within the tolerable level of background seismicity- even though this is a first there. I have to wonder just how far they are going to go with this, and just how much seismicity they will tolerate before they deem it in a state of "unrest beyond reasonable background, baseline levels."

Yeah, uh huh, a 50 year baseline established on a several million year old monster. They are really playing with fire here, but so far they have been right. So what can you say? They've been right. So we really can't say much of anything, can we.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I have to agree with TA. I understand the overwhelming responsibility the YVO between monitoring while not causing panic that could have serious, costly affects. BUT...yeah. Where HAS the line been drawn? I think the problem may be that it HASN'T been drawn, because no one really knows where it should be.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

The government is always in a bind. Do you alert the public not knowing when the event will happen. Do you want to alert the public. If you knew it was going up would you order tens of millions to evacuate. Where do they go? Who feeds them. Are there enough portable potties in the USA. Is it worth crashing the economy over. No one can handle mass evacs on that scale.

It may be better to loose the infrastructure and the people.

P

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join