It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to expand Mediterranean fleet to 10 warships – Navy chief

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

GuidedKill

You never know Russia could loose a few ships and end up trying to send their new 2013 model coastal patrol ship. I do fear however they would be picked off by LA class attack subs long before they ever made it to the MED. Problem with jet turbine surface drive is they make a lot of noise, so much a WWII diesel sub would have no problem picking them up no less a modern attack sub.

I'm not nervous about Russia going up against the US one on one with conventional weapons. I don't think that China and NK would sit back while we are getting bogged down with Hezbullah, Russia, Syria and Iran. Japan and South Korea could be in danger. I think China could use that time to take over some of that land they want.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Dustytoad

I'm not nervous about Russia going up against the US one on one with conventional weapons. I don't think that China and NK would sit back while we are getting bogged down with Hezbullah, Russia, Syria and Iran. Japan and South Korea could be in danger. I think China could use that time to take over some of that land they want.

IMO it's all about global distribution of force. US has the ability to place an extreme amount of force anywhere in the world. Air superiority and the ability to place it right off another countries coast is priceless. Because no other super power has that ability along with being able to place hundreds of thousands of troops in the region in less than 72 hours Obama shouldn't be worried about Russia at all.

With that being said I truly believe American citizens have made it clear they don't want a war and that's something Obama can't control. Putin is grand standing IMO and if he pushes it he may end up with a black eye. I don't think this anything that will push into nuclear war and the total destruction of the world but it would ultimately end up in a large skirmish in where Russia would lose most if not all ships in the region. US itself would lose a few ships if not more.

Everyone needs to calm down period. Assad has been killing tens of thousands of people the past two years and hundreds of thousands die world wide every year in some way or another. US needs to stay out of this. The citizens are tired of war for now....Putin keeps talkin smack and sink a US ship or two and you could piss us off.

edit on 13-9-2013 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2013 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Russia sends missile cruiser to Mediterranean as Syria tension mounts
Country's biggest naval deployment since USSR days sent to sea's east as US also beefs up maritime presence in region

Russia has dispatched a "carrier killer" missile cruiser and other ships to the eastern Mediterranean in its largest naval deployment since Soviet times.

The move comes as the US secretary of state, John Kerry, and his Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, examine Moscow's plan to place Syrian chemical weapons under international control. Both Russia and the US have been beefing up their naval presence in the Med over the past several weeks.

The destroyer Smetlivy left a naval base in Sevastopol, Ukraine, on Tuesday on a mission to the Syrian coast, a military source told the state news agency Interfax on Thursday.

Source

I can't find much else on this story other than 2 Russian sources. Anyway, I did find this.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Wasn't the general's name in XMEN first class general Chirkov? Is that a common name in Russia? The only reason I ask is because he was forced to fire missiles and send his fleet to Cuba for the missile crisis going on (in the movie)....

Tin foil hat out.....tin foil hat on.....Is there something to another movie??????

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

In a small area, having more ships might not necessarily be an advantage, considering the Russians assumed advantage in anti ship missile technology. Not to mention there are probably at least two Akula's in the area as well.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

GrantedBail
Russia sends missile cruiser to Mediterranean as Syria tension mounts
Country's biggest naval deployment since USSR days sent to sea's east as US also beefs up maritime presence in region

The missile cruiser is Moskva. She is from the Black Sea Fleet and was on a goodwill trip to Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua. When the Russians announced the news Moskva was still in the Caribbean.

An excellent source of info is a the following link.

turkishnavy.net...

Most of the vessels are landing ships. Nothing unusual in this as the Russians have regularly dispatched landing ships as a contingency for evacuation plans of Russian nationals in Syria. The list is slightly in error as the Black Sea Fleet landing ship Azov is currently in the Baltic on detachment.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Like him or not, Putin is straightforward on his foreign policy views.
Unlike Obama, he says what he believes and is willing to back up his words.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

It's about damn time someone stood up to us in the west. I've had enough of the western allies bs and sadly believe someone is going to have to put us in our place as we certainly can't seem to learn on our own.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Ex_CT2
reply to post by gladtobehere

The United States is now well-recognized internationally as a rogue state operated as an organized criminal enterprise. But what can you do? Like any criminal organization, they'll continue their crime spree until they're taken down. It's not as if We The People have any control over them.

I feel bad for our military men and women, being in this position—many, if not most, of them not even understanding that they're participating in criminal activities....

edit on 9/13/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

Yes, it certainly looks like the UN/PTB are letting Russia off the leash to balance up the dance. Which makes it look like the gas attack was sanctioned and Obama is taking on the world.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

GuidedKill
This is a ridiculous move when a possible deal is on the table. Putin better watch all that strutting cause at the end of the day Russia Navy and military might as a whole is still lacking from the fall of the Soviet Union. Everyone needs to calm down and stop acting big before someone gets their feelings hurt and ends up sinking a half dozen ships. Then Russia will really have a problem.

Yeh man, the Russians are no match for the USA.
USA! USA! USA!

Yeh? Dream on.

Here's a clue.

Georgia was/is an American ally.
America armed and trained it's military.

Georgia decided to provoke Russia, thinking America would protect it.

Russian tanks rolled across the border.
America stayed quiet and did nothing.

And guess what? It's because it does not want and can not afford a full blown conflict with Russia. Neither can Russia afford or want one with America.

And you know what else?
If Russia decides to intervene against the rebels, all it will take will be a phone call to Assad to invite Russia in, and Russia will go in there and eliminate the rebels/terrorists, and that will be the end of that.
And when Russia is done, they will have a permanent and even bigger military presence in Syria, the Middle East and the Eastern Mediterranean.

In fact I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
For Russia not to have taken an even bigger role then it has already, but rather a gradual build up of involvement, then maybe the Russian's have something else up their sleeve.
It certainly is interesting.

The Russian's do not want to lose their only base in the Eastern Med. The fact they are going to build up their naval presence there proves this.

So what is going on behind the scenes......who knows.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The purpose of such fleet in the mediterranean sea is obviously not to cover and protect syrian airspace from threats. That's already done from the grdoun in Syria.
It is instead to observe EU plane movements from Cyprus, that threaten Syria from the British airbase in Cyprus.

Now how about brexit, when all kind of EU planes operate a British base together?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join