It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comparing the ego and true self

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

Bleeeeep
You cannot be aware of something without a thought of something.

Seeing and hearing can happen without thought being present.
In fact if you are listening - really listening - thought stops.

That is interesting. Imagine for a moment that thought never stops. If you are listening then you have to think about what is being said or not said in that moment in order to perceive that something is even said or not said.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Bleeeeep
reply to post by SadistNocturne

One should not not judge for then one may have to use one's conscience. One should detach one's self from one's ego so one does not think about the pain one might have caused, and then feel remorseful, and repentant. One should only do what one's primal instinct tells one. Oh look at the clock, it's 11:11. One must feel mystified at one's place in the universe of one now.

Hyperbole? Yeah a little - but that really is the message you guys are singing. And the mighty "ones" you're getting the bad advice from, they're not ones of a one grand consciousness - they're demons and they're trying to corrupt you by having you believe you're God.

Hmmm. That is interesting. So your saying that by believing we are God we become non-attached to our true selves and fall pray to the ego that these entities use to entice us with true but misleading ideas?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Subconsciously Correct

I wouldn't call it true self. When one has an ego breakdown the "true self" becomes an exaggeration of what is pushed as "true self" and one does not achieve a sound base to get to a state of balance potential. At this point any type of brainwashing can occur weather it be secular socialization or religious. One could say this post is brainwashing impressionable young minds in a state of confusion.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Bleeeeep
reply to post by SadistNocturne

One should not not judge for then one may have to use one's conscience. One should detach one's self from one's ego so one does not think about the pain one might have caused, and then feel remorseful, and repentant. One should only do what one's primal instinct tells one. Oh look at the clock, it's 11:11. One must feel mystified at one's place in the universe of one now.

Hyperbole? Yeah a little - but that really is the message you guys are singing. And the mighty "ones" you're getting the bad advice from, they're not ones of a one grand consciousness - they're demons and they're trying to corrupt you by having you believe you're God.

I find this discussion quite interesting because i think both sides of the argument are right, in their own ways.

This subject is not to be taken lightly on either side. Focusing to much on quelling the Ego can/will bring about depersonalization and from there develop into a depersonalization disorder.

On the other hand if you pay no attention at all to your subconscious (non ego/true) SELF, your behavior can quickly start to resemble that of a sociopath, only striving for your immediate wants.

I think, based on personal experience watching myself and others, that people new to these ideas (and enthusiastic about them), usually get the wrong initially. Engaging in a battle against their Ego with points form people preaching the path, and not trying to understand the Ego and how it operates. This approach usually only inflates the ego and can sometimes bring about a manic state. The other end of the "destroy my ego" mentality is depersonalization, getting the feeling you are just a person watching a movie unfold in front of you with no real control.

And if you don't pay attention to "true self". You will come to reflect the people that really do people and this world harm.

But everyone has to start somewhere, and I would recommend studying ones Ego. But do so without throwing any previous ideas out the window; because each life is different and there are no exact do's and dont's.

The way user "bleeep" brings demons into this discussion is totally out of context and confusing at best,
but I understand where he is coming from... sort of.

But most importantly, just remember to breathe.

edit on America/Chicago00Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:00:22 -0500800000016 by eirgud because: WTF demons?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Itismenotyou

Itismenotyou

Itisnowagain

Bleeeeep

That is interesting. Imagine for a moment that thought never stops. If you are listening then you have to think about what is being said or not said in that moment in order to perceive that something is even said or not said.

What about when you are listening to music?
Do you have to think to hear music?

Why imagine that thought never stops? Listen closely and you might hear your next thought appear.

The next thought that appears is not really 'yours' - it is just a thought. You are what hears and knows the thought.

Thoughts are of the appearance - the appearance is constantly changing in that which never appears or changes.
edit on 16-9-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If you are the one that is thinking then you should just be able to stop thinking at will.
Most cannot get any rest from the continual chatter.

Once language is learned it runs by itself. Even when alone the dialogues continue to happen (usually in the head - sometimes out loud).
Who is talking to who?

How many are you?

The true self is one.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by eirgud

I agree, breathing is where it starts, use it as an anchor to this moment.

Muzz

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Itisnowagain
reply to post by Itismenotyou

Itismenotyou

Itisnowagain

Bleeeeep

What about when you are listening to music?
Do you have to think to hear music?

Why imagine that thought never stops? Listen closely and you might hear your next thought appear.

The next thought that appears is not really 'yours' - it is just a thought. You are what hears and knows the thought.

Thoughts are of the appearance - the appearance is constantly changing in that which never appears or changes.

I am what hears and knows the thought. That sounds right.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Itisnowagain
If you are the one that is thinking then you should just be able to stop thinking at will.
Most cannot get any rest from the continual chatter.

Once language is learned it runs by itself. Even when alone the dialogues continue to happen (usually in the head - sometimes out loud).
Who is talking to who?

How many are you?

The true self is one.

This also sounds right.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join