It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri anti federal gun law bill fails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This extreme bill could have caused chaos in America, luckily sane people in the GOP realized it was too much and voted it down. Preventing federal agencies from enforcing federal laws is wrong and too extreme. Federal law trumps state law anyways, so it would be illegal IMO.

seattletimes.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Nice to know you think the Constitution of the United States of America is "Extreme"!

But then again, extreme seems to be the way of you Progs in this country, and come hell or high water, you guys won't be happy until freedom and liberty are extinct!

Nice to see you following the Prog herd and following "Manufactured Outrage" to a T!

edit on 12-9-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

How would it cause Chaos?

Has chaos ensued from Montanas similar stance?

Motana Firearms Freedom act

No chaos, just a few court cases, none of which have been conclusive as of yet.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I would never agree with these feds so easily.. because..

The communists and Marxists currently running things would get you first, since they would say you were so willing to betray the constitution, and your fellow countrymen, even they couldn't trust you because you are not in their inner circle of traitors.. By trying to be one of their faithful groupies, you are in fact condemning your future..

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
*whew*

Almost had some freedom!

I guess the progressives really "dodged a bullet" there.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Federal law does not trump state law. I know Big Honking Government Control is as soothing as Nanny's lullabies to some people. But not many around here....

ETA: Oh. Almost forgot. PROOF:

Tenth Amendment Center

edit on 9/12/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

CB328
Federal law trumps state law anyways, so it would be illegal IMO.

In your opinion and in the opinion of those who believe the Constitution is a G-D piece of paper rather than the supreme law of the land.
edit on 12-9-2013 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

CB doesn't even know what your saying.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

CB apparently isn't even paying attention. I think this is just a post-and-run.

It's easier to remain smug in your beliefs if you don't stick around for disputation....

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think the title of this thread is a little misleading. The bill passed the Missouri House and Senate. It was vetoed by the Govenor. The House voted to override the veto. The override failed the 2/3 requirement in the Senate by one vote. Proponets of the bill vowed to bring it back next year.

I can understand where opponets to the bill claim that it infringes on federal authority. I think it's a load of bull, a smokescreen designed to confuse the issue, but I can understand how some people can be buffaloed by that argument. What I can't understand is how Govenor Nixon can make the claim that the bill infringes on the people's First Amendment rights to free speech. I would appreciate if anyone could clear that up for me.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Ah. Dr. Von Doom. Good to see you again. Lovely name.

I think this is the 1st Amendment conflict:

...It would have created state misdemeanor charges against federal authorities who attempted to enforce those laws or anyone who published the identity of a gun owner.

It wouldn't be too difficult to remove that clause; I think it would probably be a good idea if they intend to introduce it again. If they want to take up that fight, I believe it would be best to introduce it separately....

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Yep, sounds about right for these days huh!!!

No worries, we've been expecting logic and legacy to be thrown out the window....

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

CB328
This extreme bill could have caused chaos in America, luckily sane people in the GOP realized it was too much and voted it down. Preventing federal agencies from enforcing federal laws is wrong and too extreme. Federal law trumps state law anyways, so it would be illegal IMO.

seattletimes.com...

Federal law does trump state law, but there is a catch. The ONLY powers the federal government has are the ones specifically granted to them in the US Constitution. Anything not SPECIFICALLY granted to the federal government, is left up to the states.

Meaning, most federal laws are unconstitutional, therefore they do not trump state law. Gun control is a states issue and the federal government cannot, constitutionally, make any laws about it.

Once you realize that, it's obvious the federal government has been operating unconstitutionally for many many decades. A proper American citizen, and a proper US state will not obey unconstitutional decrees from the federal government. If you don't like it, change the constitution, don't violate it. The constitution provides the means to change itself to maintain relevancy as time goes on. The federal government is not allowed to simply ignore parts of the constitution they don't like.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Right.

This is an urgent matter of education. A lot of sheep think that federal law automatically and categorically overrides any state laws. And that is a truly scary thing.

Much of the problem is that most Americans, unbelievably enough, have never read the Constitution. And even if they did, we already know that reading comprehension is a huge problem in this country. So all they can do is parrot their . . . mmmm . . . heroes. And their heroes want them to think that the United States federal government is the right hand of God. A bit more of this kind of brainwashing and they'll believe God is the right hand of the federal government....

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

CB328

seattletimes.com...

Yeah, we have some serious issues with political corruption and scumbag politicians in Jeff City. No matter.. Missouri is pretty good at working out these little problems. Like cleaning the scum off a bathroom floor...This Governor of ours won't have a hope in Hades of ever seeing another term. Not even as a joke. He'll be exceptionally lucky if he's allowed to just leave office naturally and not in legal proceedings with some of the State laws he continues to violate on a daily basis.

This latest gun thing? Well.. Whatever... Missouri has 0 gun registration, 0 permitting, 0 record keeping and 0 B.S. over private party sales. So we'll have to push to Federal Court on the fed crap instead of stopping it at the State Line? So be it... It's probably going to be far better this way, anyway. We're still as close to unregulated beyond the basic NICS check as any state in the Union. We LIKE it that way here too. Very much.

For Anti-Gunners? Don't even think of Missouri as a happy home any time soon. The ODD person in this state is the one who doesn't have a few guns, not the one that does. (Outside the two big cities, anyway)

Thanks for noticing my state is having political problems with scumbags though.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Very much agreed on your points. Pure, innocent, ignorance by the average person of what the Constitution even says beyond the 1st, 2nd and 5th Amendments the movies play with all the time, is epidemic.

The bad part is, the current crop of losers in Washington haven't even bothered to read or understand it themselves....and Pappa Smurf was a Constitutional Instructor at one point. Amazing... You'd think they'd have a basic grasp of the 10th amendment, but that seems 1 step beyond their ability to process, eh?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

You hit it right on the head. Most of our own damn "representatives" either haven't read it or can't seem to fathom its meaning.

And, as you point out, Obama himself supposedly being a Constitutional scholar—that's something we really need to focus some attention on. A lot of people find it ironic; I find it extremely revealing. It takes a Constitutional expert to shred the Constitution that expertly. We're up against villains who have studied our foundational law under a magnifying glass, let us not fool ourselves.

In fact I think I may take that subject up in a new thread soon. Just to be sure a few more of us are up-to-speed....

top topics

join